kirkcameron

Gary Sanchez 2018 Outlook

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No he actually was injured.  He said he was afraid to speak up after the game because people like you would think he was trying to make excuses.  So now he is on the DL with an injury and people like you are still upset at him. 

With a groin injury would he still have been able to catch? Would he be able to run with no sign of a limp? Walk off the field without limping? Also read somewhere or heard it today that Sanchez was known in the minors for taking plays off and not liking the catcher position. In his mind could this be a way of becoming the full-time DH?

As for not running after the passed ball with as far as it rolled wouldn't it have been easier for the third baseman to have tried to make the play rather than just be a spectator on the play

I can't stand this guy, can't catch, could be the worst defensive catcher in the majors, the Yanks should trade him for a starter while he is still worth something

25 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Your observation? lol

Does Sanchez look like he wants to play catcher?  I've seen several plays over the last couple seasons where he clearly doesn't give a s**t.  I'm honestly surprised that any player who can swing it pretty well wants to play catcher.  It absolutely kills your knees and body overall.  He may be putting in the effort in terms of behind the scenes work, I have no idea, but, on the field, he doesn't project the vibe of a guy who's into playing catcher.  

Just now, mjk356 said:

Does Sanchez look like he wants to play catcher?  I've seen several plays over the last couple seasons where he clearly doesn't give a s**t.  I'm honestly surprised that any player who can swing it pretty well wants to play catcher.  It absolutely kills your knees and body overall.  He may be putting in the effort in terms of behind the scenes work, I have no idea, but, on the field, he doesn't project the vibe of a guy who's into playing catcher.  

Other than Dh where else could he play? it looks like he plays with a stone glove, i doubt he could play any other fielding position.

Just now, azeri98 said:

Other than Dh where else could he play? it looks like he plays with a stone glove, i doubt he could play any other fielding position.

He's a DH IMO.  He doesn't really seem like the same caliber of athlete as guys like Joe Mauer or Carlos Santana, who transitioned to 1B from C very well defensively.  I just don't see this guy as a long-term catcher at all.  

1 minute ago, mjk356 said:

Yes I believe Gary wants to a catcher and loves the position. You have to assume he has played that position all his life. Yea, his work ethic has something to be desired, but so does numerous other players. Some players just don’t look like they give any effort while other players are always hustling. Also Gary is only a catcher I can’t see him at any other position beside DH. 

Last year showed he had skills but was lacking in blocking the ball in the dirt. Pass balls 

maybe this groin injury is taking its toll on him at catcher 

55 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

With a groin injury would he still have been able to catch? Would he be able to run with no sign of a limp? Walk off the field without limping? Also read somewhere or heard it today that Sanchez was known in the minors for taking plays off and not liking the catcher position. In his mind could this be a way of becoming the full-time DH?

As for not running after the passed ball with as far as it rolled wouldn't it have been easier for the third baseman to have tried to make the play rather than just be a spectator on the play

The shift was employed and Andujar was far off the bag.  Andujar's job is to then cover 3rd with a runner on base.  The ball did not roll that far and it was Sannchez ball to get the whole way.

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

its why i wonder if the yankees just let gardner go and completely stay out of the Harper sweepstakes

Hicks in CF, Judge in RF and Stanton in LF with Sanchez becoming a full time DH and maybe only catching 1 or 2 times a week to give a Romine type the day off.

he loses major value that way for both the yanks and in fantasy if he loses C eligibility. 

This, if it were to happen, would be great for his fantasy value.  Like you said, catching once or twice a week would allow him to keep his C eligibility year to year.  He'd be in the lineup pretty much every day under your scenario, and presumably would take less wear and tear from catching less.

Along with closers with SP eligibility, a player with C eligibility that doesn't actually catch is the Holy Grail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

The shift was employed and Andujar was far off the bag.  Andujar's job is to then cover 3rd with a runner on base.  The ball did not roll that far and it was Sannchez ball to get the whole way.

Watch the video. Andujar, DiDi, Sanchez, and Severino all played it like it was a 90 ft (1 base) passed ball. By the time Sanchez threw back to Severino he still wasn't in the position at home plate to take the throw, Andujar hadn't gotten to third, and DiDi was making no effort to back up third. The only player that hustled was the runner.

Still doesn't excuse Sanchez for not running out the final play of the game or speeding up like 20ft from 1st base. 

57 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Watch the video. Andujar, DiDi, Sanchez, and Severino all played it like it was a 90 ft (1 base) passed ball. By the time Sanchez threw back to Severino he still wasn't in the position at home plate to take the throw, Andujar hadn't gotten to third, and DiDi was making no effort to back up third. The only player that hustled was the runner.

Still doesn't excuse Sanchez for not running out the final play of the game or speeding up like 20ft from 1st base. 

LOL you're actually blaming half the infield and excusing Sanchez?  I can't even.

15 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No he actually was injured.  He said he was afraid to speak up after the game because people like you would think he was trying to make excuses.  So now he is on the DL with an injury and people like you are still upset at him. 

Hey, I got some ocean front property in Kentucky I'm looking to sell, you interested?

11 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Fake news. Andujuar had 3B covered before the runner got there and Sevy was standing at home before the runner got half way there.

3B covered: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1etYs4eq_Q1yUaNLwBDXMQnHErgOA-Tzz/view?usp=drivesdk

Home covered: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXUZ_q4MffWFsBaKbOU7_xunjzCI2Ho1/view?usp=drivesdk

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Fake news. Andujuar had 3B covered before the runner got there and Sevy was standing at home before the runner got half way there.

3B covered: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1etYs4eq_Q1yUaNLwBDXMQnHErgOA-Tzz/view?usp=drivesdk

Home covered: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXUZ_q4MffWFsBaKbOU7_xunjzCI2Ho1/view?usp=drivesdk

Oh well, the mistake is mine for watching the video on MLB.TV and listening to a former player describe what he saw. He did preface it by saying it wasn't a popular opinion though.

Sorry to misinformed oeople

Mandy Bell
‏@MandyBell02
Follow Follow @MandyBell02
More
Cashman also said they expect Sanchez to return at the end of August or beginning of September.

3 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Mandy Bell
‏@MandyBell02
Follow Follow @MandyBell02
More
Cashman also said they expect Sanchez to return at the end of August or beginning of September.

Well yeah, given his hustle it'll take him that long just to physically make it back to the ballpark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Oh well, the mistake is mine for watching the video on MLB.TV and listening to a former player describe what he saw. He did preface it by saying it wasn't a popular opinion though.

Sorry to misinformed oeople

I find sometimes some former players go out of their way to exaggerate and make excuses for current players they like who they feel are getting hit too hard.

No problem. 

Change up topic here but owners likely gambled on Gary in the 2nd round this year. If he doesn't finish up the season strong and look like the Gary of old where does he go next season in drafts??  middle, late rounds??

2 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Change up topic here but owners likely gambled on Gary in the 2nd round this year. If he doesn't finish up the season strong and look like the Gary of old where does he go next season in drafts??  middle, late rounds??

Someone will take the risk and draft him in the 9-10 round area.

Hope Romine steals this bum's job.  Doesn't deserve to be in the big leagues.

LOL!  The extremes some people go off on here.  Last year this thread was the "All Praise Be to the Glory of God Gary."  Now it is simply the "Die, Gary, Die!" thread this year.  Somehow I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

Hope Romine steals this bum's job.  Doesn't deserve to be in the big leagues.

Yankees probably acquire a catcher if I had to guess.  

3 hours ago, chud12 said:

Switch rounds with Realmuto for next year.

• Like 1