kirkcameron

Gary Sanchez 2018 Outlook

On 9/5/2018 at 11:20 PM, Ratso1022 said:

He just can’t be a regular catcher anymore.   I think Severino wants to strangle him.   He is pathetic.  

9 hours ago, secretagentman said:

His OPS went from 1.032 in 2016, to .876 in 2017 to .694 this year.  That is not improving, that is regressing.  He played 1/2 a season in 2016, almost a full season in 2017, and is on pace to maybe get in a little better than half a season this year.  Is he the hitter he was in 2016...obviously not.  Is he close to the hitter he was in 2017...maybe, but 400 or so ABs does not make him that hitter any more than 263 ABs make him Mendoza line material this year.  Maybe this year is a career worst year...or maybe it is the continuation of a trend downwards due to his inability to adjust to shifts, make adjustments to pitchers and the fact that he obviously has issues going on between his ears imo.  How that all plays out is anyone's guess.  He could end up bouncing back next season or he could be heading into oblivion.

As to his defense, that ship has sailed imo.  You  can not play a catcher that cannot catch the ball.  Simple as that really.  We always hear how he is working on it and looks good, yada yada yada.  And when he gets back he ends up being worse than before in that respect.  Either the Yanks have the worst catching coaches in the league or this guy just has problems.

nice little article form pintstripe alley

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/9/7/17828736/yankees-catcher-gary-sanchez-passed-balls-framing-romine-higashioka-realmuto

cliffs

hes horrible at blocking/catching/too many pass balls (Girardi thinks its fixable)

hes the 9th best pitch framer out of 25 qualified catchers

6th best arm speed and 12th best pop time out of 101 qualified catchers

has a history of making postive improvements

the alternatives are not better (romine is not better defensively)

• Like 1

Girardi also thinks it is his stance while catching is mostly to blame. Left knee is on the ground and doesn't allow him to move laterally and forces the glove hand to not be in good position to get balls in the dirt or anywhere close to catching it unless it is exactly where Sanchez expects it. Could be caused by injury this year but is something Girardi work with him last year. He used Yon Gomes to show proper positioning and you could see the difference.

Saw the piece on MLBN yesterday.

Edited by Low and Away
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

nice little article form pintstripe alley

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/9/7/17828736/yankees-catcher-gary-sanchez-passed-balls-framing-romine-higashioka-realmuto

cliffs

hes horrible at blocking/catching/too many pass balls (Girardi thinks its fixable)

hes the 9th best pitch framer out of 25 qualified catchers

6th best arm speed and 12th best pop time out of 101 qualified catchers

has a history of making postive improvements

the alternatives are not better (romine is not better defensively)

Girardi is hardly the Oracle at Delphi on any matter.  This is the same clueless fool who had his nose in his binder most of the time and had no clue about most things, but that is my opinion.  If it is so easy to see and fix, then why haven't they done something about it until now?  This is not a sudden thing, it has been going on all season.  As far as the defensive metrics, I have never been a believer in any of them.  Framing pitches and throwing guys out is nice, but  it means nothing if you cannot catch the baseball.  History of positive improvements????   What does that mean...his offense and defense are regressing over 3 seasons, so where is the positive "Improvement".  And hitting at the Mendoza line is not good by any metric you want to use so it is not like Sanchez is Johnny Bench with the bat out there either.

Offense:

Power:   A

Average F

Running F -

Defense:

Throwing A

Framing   B

Catching  F

Running.  F -

When does NYY decide to move him to first? Catching may cause mental lapses to hitting if he’s becoming to worried about it. Maybe it’s time to let him try out a new position. 

1 hour ago, GC Tacos said:

When does NYY decide to move him to first? Catching may cause mental lapses to hitting if he’s becoming to worried about it. Maybe it’s time to let him try out a new position. 

Don't see it happening.  Would be an awful 1b imo.  DH maybe depending on who they get in the off season if he can start to hit again.  My guess is they continue down this path with him at C until next season and see what happens.  C is a waste land offensively, so they have not got much to lose.  If they get someone like Machado in the off-season and assuming one of Voit or Bird is their 1b, then Andujar likely heads to DH (solves that problem defensively as well) and Sanchez will either make it as a C or be dealt.  My 2 cents.

Looks like Sanchez is gonna be dealt in the offseason. Yankees are tired of his defensive deficiencies that has cost them games this year and last year in the playoffs. Not official yet but look for him to ride the bench for the wild card game. He has two weeks to prove he belongs on a championship team. 

23 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

Looks like Sanchez is gonna be dealt in the offseason. Yankees are tired of his defensive deficiencies that has cost them games this year and last year in the playoffs. Not official yet but look for him to ride the bench for the wild card game. He has two weeks to prove he belongs on a championship team. 

where did you hear this? any link at all?

that you austin romine?

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

Not sure where even to begin on this. I'm literally staring at the screen and my thoughts are all trying to get through the door at the same time like the Marx Brothers.

I wonder if he will get a basehit this week at all.

Or he wants to enter the record books as the negative DiMaggio.
19 AB down 28 AB to go.

But he is 3/8 lifetime vs Cobb, so this might be a little bumpy. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, GC Tacos said:

Boone already says Sanchez will be catching the wild card game. 

1 hour ago, Ratso1022 said:

Boone already says Sanchez will be catching the wild card game. 

Boone doing something stupid...shocking.  Cashman also spoke in defense of Sanchez.

Having him start the Wild Card game is really idiotic though, unless he starts showing something offensively.  If he can't hit, then he's worthless.   A must-win game is too important to have him in there costing games on defense.

How is it possible that his average is about to dip below .180 and people are still talking about him as an early-mid round draft pick next year.

On 9/23/2018 at 2:24 PM, MrBrown said:

Boone doing something stupid...shocking.  Cashman also spoke in defense of Sanchez.

Having him start the Wild Card game is really idiotic though, unless he starts showing something offensively.  If he can't hit, then he's worthless.   A must-win game is too important to have him in there costing games on defense.

i agree with this. if gary cant hit because hes injured or whatever he shouldnt be playing

14 hours ago, exaulz said:

How is it possible that his average is about to dip below .180 and people are still talking about him as an early-mid round draft pick next year.

because of what he did last year and in 2016.  something is wrong right now i personally thing he was/is more hurt than we know.

14 hours ago, exaulz said:

I was listening to Keeper and Bust podcast recently and they had some early mocks - he was first catcher off the board and went like 6th round I think they said. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i agree with this. if gary cant hit because hes injured or whatever he shouldnt be playing

because of what he did last year and in 2016.  something is wrong right now i personally thing he was/is more hurt than we know.

Cabrera played through injuries all the time for Detroit and when his numbers suffered he got called fat and a lot of other ridiculous stuff. Sanchez is young, he had a rough year. Injuries were part of it but his sample size and 2018 season does not indicate what you would want as an early-mid round pick. I’m staying far away. Mendoza line, he’s well below it

5 hours ago, mhuhn23 said:

Cabrera played through injuries all the time for Detroit and when his numbers suffered he got called fat and a lot of other ridiculous stuff. Sanchez is young, he had a rough year. Injuries were part of it but his sample size and 2018 season does not indicate what you would want as an early-mid round pick. I’m staying far away. Mendoza line, he’s well below it

Has had, still in progress.    As a C for next year?   Hmmmm.  He or Realmuto, still top 2.      Rebound would be HUGE

Thanks for nothing, Gary. Could have used the production last week

Thanks for last night.   Production huge for my championship week.   I'm glad I stuck with you.   Keep it going.

He did more, in one night. than his replacements did for me in 2 months.   Hicks, Ward, and Romine.    This guy is still golden.  

On 9/26/2018 at 7:58 AM, Ratso1022 said:

He did more, in one night. than his replacements did for me in 2 months.   Hicks, Ward, and Romine.    This guy is still golden.  

I steamrolled my league during his absence and didn’t start anyone at C due to my rostering. He came back and his at bats were instantly noticed in my lines and matchups. I’m not sure if you’re trolling me or not. Sanchez on my team this season was a disaster and I just checked in to see he’s hitting a robust .158 for the last 7 days with the dinger and a few steaks.

no thanks

On 9/28/2018 at 9:52 AM, mhuhn23 said:

I steamrolled my league during his absence and didn’t start anyone at C due to my rostering. He came back and his at bats were instantly noticed in my lines and matchups. I’m not sure if you’re trolling me or not. Sanchez on my team this season was a disaster and I just checked in to see he’s hitting a robust .158 for the last 7 days with the dinger and a few steaks.

no thanks

I'm glad I used him this week