brockpapersizer

Rhys Hoskins 2018 Outlook

Gotta wonder if there is a hidden injury there somewhere combined with the pitchers adjustments against him. With the exit velocity lower and missing meatballs from mediocre pitchers it reminds me of judge last season in July and August. It took a great hitter like him 2 months of ice cold production to get back on track. Who knows how long it will take Hoskins but I keep the faith.

I think he's trying as hard as he possibly can to put on the board just 1 of any counting stat each game. He doesn't care what category it's in or to go overboard and break his streak, just 1 H, BB, or R a game and awesome sauce. Joking aside, his numbers took a nose dive from mid/late September to end of last year. He had a pretty productive start this season although it didn't last long, back on a milk carton now. It's still been a small sample size last year and this season, but the production has been bi-polar to say the least. Very frustrating trying to figure out what direction his floor and ceiling are headed. 

Edited by tonywow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonywow said:

I think he's trying as hard as he possibly can to put on the board just 1 of any counting stat each game. He doesn't care what category it's in or to go overboard and break his streak, just 1 H, BB, or R a game and awesome sauce. Joking aside, his numbers took a nose dive from mid/late September to end of last year. He had a pretty productive start this season although it didn't last long, back on a milk carton now. It's still been a small sample size last year and this season, but the production has been bi-polar to say the least. Very frustrating trying to figure out what direction his floor and ceiling are headed. 

I'm not sure how since I picked him up shortly before he got called up last season, but I actually completely forgot about the nosedive at the end of the last season.  Obviously the approach and talent are there, but I guess that combined with the struggles lasting longer than expected has me a little less sure that he will bust out and be what I was expecting.

That's not to say I don't think he's still going to be good.  It would be foolish to completely throw out my expectations based on what is still a small sample size, but like I said, maybe I am at least wavering a tad now.

And thanks to the person that posted all of those detailed stats.  It was a good read.  Not your fault, but it also left me just as confused about Hoskins as I was when I last posted. :D

It’s so old. 

Sick of seeing Hernandez do Rhys’s job. 

His timing is so off. 

Sigh. 

Edited by Members_Only_76

8 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

It’s so old. 

Sick of seeing Hernandez do Rhys’s job. 

His timing is so off. 

Sigh. 

they need to move him down in the lineup to get his attention. He’s earned the 6 or 7 hole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragrag said:

they need to move him down in the lineup to get his attention. He’s earned the 6 or 7 hole. 

Might be about time.  I understand why they put him in the 2 hole at first, which was to provide him the only lineup protection they have since their lineup has really nothing after Herrera (Santana has good counting stats only).  At first, it seemed like maybe the lack of any lineup protection was the issue and he was just getting pitched around a lot, but now it just seems like it was Hoskins.

well f---. chipped an inside heater off the bat up into his face.  bleeding from the mouth and taken to the locker room.

Edited by ragrag

1 minute ago, jahweedum said:

It definitely hit the bat - you think it'd have that type of velocity off his arm?

Gotta hope it knocked some teeth out or conked him in the nose.  It looked bad, but it wasn't like Stanton.  I'd guess a 2 week DL stint maybe - but it could be a heck of a lot worse, will be interesting

caught him in the chin solidly.. could be a concussion.

might have bit his tongue or busted out some teeth.  blood was flowing heavily.

Edited by ragrag

The injury doesn't appear to be overly serious, as manager Game Kapler described it as a "big cut" on his lip, and Kapler is "not overly concerned" per Matt Breen of The Philadelphia Inquirer.

can you trust any source with the word Inquirer in it though?

Edited by jahweedum

I think his favorite number must be 1. All hail Rhys "Uno" Hoskins. 

Sucks he got hurt, but the devil in me was glad he got taken out so I did not have to endure another potential (most likely) strikeout. 

7 minutes ago, mrfrood said:

Sucks he got hurt, but the devil in me was glad he got taken out so I did not have to endure another potential (most likely) strikeout. 

According to the box score it looks like he was still charged with a strikeout even though the pinch hitter struck out.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:41 PM, UberRebel said:

Wasn’t this guy supposed to hit .250 this year? Where are the haters that said he was Carlos Santana 2.0?!?! 

33 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Ouch

did the ball hit the bat or he swung and miss ?

12 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

did the ball hit the bat or he swung and miss ?

He definitely fouled it off right into his face.

8 minutes ago, FUM said:

0-3, 2K.  AAA is knocking.

They should just throw him on the DL (Dentist List) for a breather.

I've dug a bit deeper and believe Hoskins changed his swing over the winter, which is causing the increased strikeouts and poor batting average. xStats, which uses statcast data even assigns him a .213 xAVG. In 2017, it his xAVG was .272

His average launch angle last season was already 3 ticks above average and that was already good according to this.

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/adjusting-hoskins-batted-balls/

But now his average launch angle is 6 ticks above average, and that is not optimal according similar batted balls and velocities. That is why his xAVG is .213. This seems to me like the same disease Matt Carpenter had last season. This is a tough one to fix mid season. If you are in a keeper league, you are in a tough spot. In redraft, I would try to unload him to anyone who thinks he will turn it around.

• Like 1