brockpapersizer

Rhys Hoskins 2018 Outlook

Out of the lineup. I guess at least We won’t suffer a drop in BA today. 

scratch that*

carry on hating Rhysy 

Edited by Gumbo_Ghost

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Out of the lineup. I guess at least We won’t suffer a drop in BA today. 

That is sadly true.  It'll hopefully do him good to get a game or two off.  Can't hurt at the very least.

• Like 1

I could the baseball to the mouth will knock a little sense in him. 

I no longer love Rhys' to Pieces but I am willing to go to counseling to work on it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I could the baseball to the mouth will knock a little sense in him. 

came in the game last night for a 2B and run scored. hmmm

21 minutes ago, steve9347 said:

This dude suck or has he been unlucky? 

I believe its a case of pitchers recognizing a flaw in his swing/approach and they're going after that weakness of his which is causing his K rate to skyrocket. he needs to settle down and adjust and should turn things around sooner than later. 

Edited by Hatfieldodger

Well this isn't good:

Rhys Hoskins is a likely DL situation, Gabe Kapler said. A CAT scan revealed a fracture in the jaw. Hoskins will fly to Philly to see team physician for further evaluation. There are surgical and non-surgical options for recovery.

Rhys Hoskins is likely to be placed on the disabled list after a CT scan revealed a fracture in his jaw.

The initial feeling after Hoskins fouled a ball off his face Monday was that he merely had a lacerated lip, but further tests revealed the bad news. There are surgical and non-surgical options, so there is no timetable for his return at this time. Aaron Altherr and Nick Williams will both get to play regularly while Hoskins is out.

Damn, they let him pinch hit last night with a fractured jaw. Not a good look. 

You dont need your jaw to play ball.  Wire it up and get out there!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Any recent injuries to compare this to?  Hopefully he only misses a month.

First thing that showed up on a Google search. Assuming this is true I'd say early August is realistic as a return. He is going to lose some bulk not being able to eat solid food.

Uncomplicated jaw fractures generally heal in 4-6 weeks. After an adequate period of healing, the wires holding the jaws closed are removed and the jaws are examined to determine if any mobility exists between the bone fragments.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

First thing that showed up on a Google search. Assuming this is true I'd say early August is realistic as a return. He is going to lose some bulk not being able to eat solid food.

Maybe not much...he’ll have weight gain supplements.  Not like he’s going to be eating strawberry banana smoothies all the time.  

The other part of the equalition is this guy hasn’t been very good.  On pace for about 20 homers, short of 200 whiffs.  Wasn’t really a hyped prospect until late, pitchers adjusted, he hasn’t.  Now a broken jaw.  Not a great combo.  If I was hurting for DL spots I’d be tempted to put him on a raft and send him down the river 

3 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

The other part of the equalition is this guy hasn’t been very good.  On pace for about 20 homers, short of 200 whiffs.  Wasn’t really a hyped prospect until late, pitchers adjusted, he hasn’t.  Now a broken jaw.  Not a great combo.  If I was hurting for DL spots I’d be tempted to put him on a raft and send him down the river 

In all fairness to Hoskins, he might not have been that hyped, but it's not like he didn't deserve hype for what he had been doing in the minors.  The power and plate discipline numbers he showed in several years in the minors deserved plenty of attention.

You are not wrong about what he's done this season though, although established players ranked higher than him either had horrid starts or are still looking to truly get going.  If it wasn't a fractured jaw and he just sat out long enough to be more like a mental reset, it's entirely possible he could have turned it around.  The lack of being able to make the necessary adjustments yet before the injury was obviously discouraging though.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

The fact that they haven't, and the fact that he pinch hit (successfully) the night after the injury, gives me hope that it isn't going to be a super long-term absence. If it were a no doubter that he is going to be out for a while wouldn't they have done it immediately once news hit yesterday afternoon, even if they didn't know the exact extent of the injury pending further evaluation in Philly?

The jaw is a long way from the heart... he'll be back before long. 

just an FYI - he's now officially on the DL. No word on how long just yet. 

Edited by DidiFan
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

How long until he regains the ability to hit?

6-8 weeks

On 5/30/2018 at 8:32 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

You dont need your jaw to play ball.  Wire it up and get out there!

Incorrect.

A healthy jaw is essential to being a professional ball player: chewing dip, gum, sunflower seeds, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1