Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brockpapersizer

Ozzie Albies 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, All rise for Albies said:

An amusing reposte to the negativity, right on cue

Pretty much.  He even mentioned in a postgame interview about how all the fantasy baseball people were talking about his slump and how people should sell high on him.  As he was hitting the HR, he thought to himself "you want to sell this!?"

Obviously not true, but would have been great if it was... :D

I get that he's an up and coming stud - but even if he continues at this incredible pace and you managed to swap him for say Cano somehow, would you be disappointed even if Albies did out perform Cano?

If I'm selling him high - I'm mostly trying to swap for proven consistency so I don't have to worry about those potential cold streaks that accompany young players typically at some point

20 minutes ago, jahweedum said:

I get that he's an up and coming stud - but even if he continues at this incredible pace and you managed to swap him for say Cano somehow, would you be disappointed even if Albies did out perform Cano?

If I'm selling him high - I'm mostly trying to swap for proven consistency so I don't have to worry about those potential cold streaks that accompany young players typically at some point

Robinson Cano, really? If you're looking for "proven consistency" I'm not sure what you were doing drafting Albies in the first place.  Not sure what you're getting at suggesting you'd be wise to deal him for a 'consistent' guy like Cano.  In what categories would you expect Cano > Albies at this point? 

Well if you're in a dynasty/keeper and considering "selling high" then you probably have a brain tumor.  Redraft people considering "selling high" should probably stop being completely insane, look into his pedigree with the rigor as a dynasty owner, and enjoy the ride.  This kid is legit.

Well I packaged Albies and Bellinger for Stanton and Degrom in my keeper league

2 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Well I packaged Albies and Bellinger for Stanton and Degrom in my keeper league

You say that like it is a clear win for you? I think I'd rather be on the other side tbh.

Just now, roscobangs said:

You say that like it is a clear win for you? I think I'd rather be on the other side tbh.

Well my league counts OBP and SLG too which obviously favors Stanton. BUT yes I'd rather have Stanton and deGrom easily. In 7 years? No. But then again, I'm not looking 7 years down the road, I am ready to win this year.

I really like Albies but let's not pretend he's a 25 HR bat already. He's been great but he's not an 18.2% HR/FB hitter (yet). He's going to go through some ups and downs no doubt. Just like Bellinger is going through a "down" sophomore year right now. 

38 minutes ago, ranger danger said:

Robinson Cano, really? If you're looking for "proven consistency" I'm not sure what you were doing drafting Albies in the first place.  Not sure what you're getting at suggesting you'd be wise to deal him for a 'consistent' guy like Cano.  In what categories would you expect Cano > Albies at this point? 

Expect? That's the whole point - how can you 'Expect' anything out of Albies? He's a stud - but whose more likely to go completely cold for a month, Cano or Albies?  On ESPN Albies had an ADP of 146 and Cano of 59.  If I can swap an unproven, hot hitting commodity I got late for a proven, consistent commodity this early in the season why is that a bad gamble??  I'm not saying it isn't possible Albies outperforms Cano at all - I'm talking about odds, history, and rookie cold streaks

man I have this kid in my team as well but the way some people talk here, he's basically a top 20 player in their minds lol

9 hours ago, rlaalsrb said:

man I have this kid in my team as well but the way some people talk here, he's basically a top 20 player in their minds lol

2B is shallow position with a lack of power options. Albies is seemingly filling a very small niche as a power hitting 2B with some speed (that he's not yet showing!).  He's already a consensus top 8-10 2B and could easily be a top 4-5 2B by the end of the season if he is consistent. Makes sense why there's a lot of hype and monitoring of his stats.

10 hours ago, rlaalsrb said:

Currently:

17 on ESPN's player rater among hitters.

25 on ESPN's player rater among all players.

so...

11 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

Well my league counts OBP and SLG too which obviously favors Stanton. BUT yes I'd rather have Stanton and deGrom easily. In 7 years? No. But then again, I'm not looking 7 years down the road, I am ready to win this year.

I really like Albies but let's not pretend he's a 25 HR bat already. He's been great but he's not an 18.2% HR/FB hitter (yet). He's going to go through some ups and downs no doubt. Just like Bellinger is going through a "down" sophomore year right now. 

7 HRs in less than a month at the beginning of the season and he is not a 25 HR hitter?

If you say so...

10 hours ago, rlaalsrb said:

Not in our minds. According to stats.

12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Not in our minds. According to stats.

How a player has performed in the first month of the season is no guarantee for performance for the remainder of the season. Top 20 is overly ambitious to expect moving forward. 

On 4/25/2018 at 9:02 AM, rlaalsrb said:

You guys are being really optimistic with this guy if you are comparing him to Ramirez. Ramirez is now one of the premier bats in the league. 

I guess he could make that leap, just like how Ramirez made the leap that noone saw coming, but as it stands right now, thats a dream scenario, not a realistic projection.

The same Jose Ramirez that hit .219/.291/.340 in 2015 at 22?

And had a SLG of .346 in his first 564 at bats to start his career?

Albies is only 21 and has a SLG of .503 in his first 316 at bats. 

He has 7 home runs this season alone in 99 at bats while Ramirez only managed 8 in those first 564 at bats.

Albies' realistic projection IS a dream scenario B)

20 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

How a player has performed in the first month of the season is no guarantee for performance for the remainder of the season. Top 20 is overly ambitious to expect moving forward. 

How about last year too? Same pace he is on now

By all means, keep doubting him. Only hurts yourself.

24 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Until Acuna was called up, he was the youngest player in the league.  A player this young, playing this well - it would be extremely difficult to luck his way into his current stat line.  And the scouting reports have always hyped the kid, so this wasn't that unexpected. 

I struggle to say he'll even have any significant slumps thanks to his speed and contact rates.  He beat out an infield hit yesterday with a 30.2 ft/sec sprint speed.  27 ft/sec is the MLB average.  30 is elite.  His speed will steal him some hits even when he's not lifting the ball.

Whoa let's not act like this guy has 25 homer power people. Clearly he's a 26 home run power hitter! 

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

7 HRs in less than a month at the beginning of the season and he is not a 25 HR hitter?

If you say so...

Sorry, make that 8 HRs in less than a month