Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brockpapersizer

Ozzie Albies 2018 Outlook

I honestly expected around 18 homers, and I thought I was being pretty aggressive with my expectations.  He is going to fly past that number....You gotta think he is a lock for low to mid 20's even with the inevitable slump that will come.

5 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

I honestly expected around 18 homers, and I thought I was being pretty aggressive with my expectations.  He is going to fly past that number....You gotta think he is a lock for low to mid 20's even with the inevitable slump that will come.

I actually don't think he has a real slump of much length since his batting average isn't really inflated..  I just think at some point some of his HR's turn into more regular XBHs.  Not saying he's not earning most of his HR's, except for last night's grand slam being a bit of a cheapie (not complain obviously), but I'd still be shocked if he reaches 30 yet.

Of course, I'm shocked he's already at 11, so I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.  He's obviously not listening to the people who didn't think he was going to hit that many HR's.

This is incredible. I thought his ADP was way too rich around my draft but I just went with it and snagged him anyways. Would have never guessed he'd be a first rounder already.

A 5’9 21 year old 2nd basemen from Curaçao is tied with Bryce Harper for NL lead in HRs. What a time to be alive.

I'll be damned.  

Don't see much "Sell High" talk here anymore.  For people with him in Keeper leagues what would it take right now for you to trade him?

9 minutes ago, DMurphy77 said:

Don't see much "Sell High" talk here anymore.  For people with him in Keeper leagues what would it take right now for you to trade him?

In redraft leagues I'd still be open to selling him, just as I was before. In keepers? He's not for sale and I'm not shopping him. If somebody wants him they'd have to overpay. By a lot.

18 minutes ago, DMurphy77 said:

Probably a 2018 Range Rover... for starters. :wub:

I honestly can't believe the performance from him. I've had him for 3 years now in a dynasty and was always a fan of his game, but this is really something else. 

29 minutes ago, DMurphy77 said:

That's a good question. In my league we only keep 3 players at years end, and after Harper, it's hard to make an argument against Albies being my 2nd most valuable player (over Thor, Votto and JDM).

To answer your question, in a dynasty format I definitely have him ranked in the 8-12 area for batters. And rising.

2 hours ago, DMurphy77 said:

I would immediately decline any offer sent to me for Albies in my keeper league.  Obviously I'd take 2 Mike Trouts, but nobody is offering me 2 Mike Trouts (if it was possible).

2 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

A 5’9 21 year old 2nd basemen from Curaçao is tied with Bryce Harper for NL lead in HRs. What a time to be alive.

Oooh I didn't realize he was from Curaçao. He's among good company Schoop, Andrelton Simmons, Jansen I think Didi grew up there too and of course Andruw Jones among others. Interesting I think- lots of talent from such a tiny island. 

1 minute ago, DidiFan said:

Oooh I didn't realize he was from Curaçao. He's among good company Schoop, Andrelton Simmons, Jansen I think Didi grew up there too and of course Andruw Jones among others. Interesting I think- lots of talent from such a tiny island. 

what else is there to do on an island  :lol: he is legit for sure

I'm surprised more people aren't willing to cash in. No doubt he's been amazing so far, but his batted ball data doesn't quite add up for me. I find it hard to believe that hes a 20% HR/FB hitter or can keep up this kind of production with 1:4 BB:K ratio. 

Sure, you might run the risk trading a perennial 1st rounder, but you can also set yourself up for years in keeper/dynasty leagues.

6 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I'm surprised more people aren't willing to cash in. No doubt he's been amazing so far, but his batted ball data doesn't quite add up for me. I find it hard to believe that hes a 20% HR/FB hitter or can keep up this kind of production with 1:4 BB:K ratio. 

Sure, you might run the risk trading a perennial 1st rounder, but you can also set yourself up for years in keeper/dynasty leagues.

Whether he keeps this up or not, he still should be highly valuable.  The HR's may come down at some point, but it's not like he's all of a sudden going to forget how to hit.  Maybe the SBs go up then.

Regardless, he was a very highly touted prospect before being called up last season.  Obviously nobody expected him to become a power hitter yet, but that isn't exactly something people didn't think could happen eventually.  There's no reason why you can't do what you want to do with him, but at least some of these guys that could set you up for years were highly regarded prospects at one time just like Albies.  Players like him are what you want to have in keeper leagues.

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

... by simply loving every second of your super stud. He's literally the occasional unicorn that falls in your lap, the reason you play the game. :huh:

1 hour ago, cs3 said:

Sure, there are some concerns, but this is the type of guy you wait on, not the type of guy you look to sell. The pedigree's there and he's getting results. Sure, if you get the right offer he's movable, but that's true of everyone from Trout to the 25th man on the Reds. Chances are if you own Albies you got him relatively cheap and won't be willing to move him unless you're getting a lot in return, but when a guy breaks out like this it takes a little while for the market to catch up. Most owners aren't going to want to pay premium just yet, even though that's what it'll take to get him, especially in keepers and dynasties. Besides, if your strategy is to always sell high on the breakouts, you'll be burned time and again. This is the type of breakout you wait out; even if it's not real (I think it is) chances are you won't get what you want in a trade anyway. 

5 hours ago, DMurphy77 said:

I'd still consider it depending on the return (which is obviously higher than it was) - I mean he HAS to slump at some point basically

Anyway - when I was gonna sell high earlier I was talking about trading him for Cano.  Now I'd still trade him, but reaching for more!

7 hours ago, jahweedum said:

I'd still consider it depending on the return (which is obviously higher than it was) - I mean he HAS to slump at some point basically

Anyway - when I was gonna sell high earlier I was talking about trading him for Cano.  Now I'd still trade him, but reaching for more!

Name the player that does not slump at some point.

Ill hang up and listen.