Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

On 1/29/2018 at 1:15 PM, garlando said:

As of this moment, roster-resource has him as the starting `1st baseman (with Carpenter at 3rd and Gyorko on the bench) but I'm not sure that will be the case so I think you have to bump him down a little with the playing time uncertainty. For 2018, I'll project Martinez for .282/.361 with 18 HRs and 4 SBs in 450 PAs.

i saw where jason martinez (no relation, i'm assuming), the main roster resource guy, said on twitter that he has jose in that starting 1B spot basically because he saw him in person at a game last year and thought he looked completely legit as a hitter. so he's on board the "believes in jose" boat with us, but that's all that placement means; it's not based on any information from the team or anything. the real situation will be decieded during the spring and probably on into the season. 

As I mentioned before I am not sold on him but how can the Cardinals NOT give him the every day 1B job after the way he hit last season?

15 minutes ago, jwblue said:

As I mentioned before I am not sold on him but how can the Cardinals NOT give him the every day 1B job after the way he hit last season?

I think he'll definitely get the 1st crack at it....but he needs to come out strong with a good bat like Gyorko waiting....if he officially gets the job in ST better hope your draft is early to get him cheap cuz the hype train is gonna be running!  

1 hour ago, jwblue said:

As a fantasy owner and fan of Jose, I hope he gets the full-time job, but it somewhat depends on how much emphasis they're going to put on defense. Gyorko has been a fairly productive, if inconsistent, bat for them, and he rated very high at 3B last year. Carpenter merely gets by at the position, and Martinez isn't considered a plus defensively at first at this point.

Again, I HOPE they give Martinez everyday at-bats, but they would have defensive reasons to justify having him as the top option off the bench to start out. I also can't believe Fowler, Carpenter and Gyorko are going to stay healthy all year.

With Duda, Morrison, and Hosmer off the board there’s really nobody but Mark Reynolds for the Cardinals to sign that would take away at bats from Jose. I still think the cards depth is strong enough that he’s more valuable in daily lagues, but he’s coming at a generous discount because people are overreacting to spring depth charts. He’s going to get plenty of at bats.

The upside here is really Jose Abreu type ceiling.

13 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Interesting. Could you elaborate? I don't really see the power profile, but the hit tool signs are there. Could he be this year's Jose Ramirez?

Been trying to get this dude after reading some stat on here that put him up there with the elites in the game and finally landed him for AJ Cole. In my best Borat voice “Wowaweewa, Very Nice”.

Loving that this dude is OF eligible. 

27 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Interesting. Could you elaborate? I don't really see the power profile, but the hit tool signs are there. Could he be this year's Jose Ramirez?

hes 6’6”, adjusted his launch angle , and has some of the best exit velocity in the league last year.  I don’t see a 40 home run season, but I do see a 30 hr ceiling with a good, potentially 300 hr average. 

On 2/28/2018 at 10:53 AM, brockpapersizer said:

With Duda, Morrison, and Hosmer off the board there’s really nobody but Mark Reynolds for the Cardinals to sign that would take away at bats from Jose. I still think the cards depth is strong enough that he’s more valuable in daily lagues, but he’s coming at a generous discount because people are overreacting to spring depth charts. He’s going to get plenty of at bats.

I wasnt too worried about a signing that would bench him - more of a logjam with whats already there with Carpenter and Gyorko....I can see a definite path to a full time gig at 1B but that would make Gyorko a F/T utility....still a little nervous but liking the discount the questions bring!  

5 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

I wasnt too worried about a signing that would bench him - more of a logjam with whats already there with Carpenter and Gyorko....I can see a definite path to a full time gig at 1B but that would make Gyorko a F/T utility....still a little nervous but liking the discount the questions bring!  

I think that's key. If Martinez was named the every day starter he's go 100 picks earlier imo.

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think that's key. If Martinez was named the every day starter he's go 100 picks earlier imo.

He really should be.  

Intriguing player on Yahoo with multiple positions already (1st/OF). Going by information on Roster Resource he is being projected as the starting 3rd baseman. For me, that would be golden as it adds another position for what was a FA pick in a very early Pro draft.

It changed and flip Carpenter to 3rd and Martinez to 1st.

31 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Intriguing player on Yahoo with multiple positions already (1st/OF). Going by information on Roster Resource he is being projected as the starting 3rd baseman. For me, that would be golden as it adds another position for what was a FA pick in a very early Pro draft.

It changed and flip Carpenter to 3rd and Martinez to 1st.

Yeah Jose does not play 3rd, just 1B and OF.

I honestly don't see him getting more than 450 ABs with the logjam in the infield.

On 2/28/2018 at 7:53 AM, brockpapersizer said:

I think the biggest threat was, and continues to be, Moustakas. If the Cardinals sign him that makes playing time extremely difficult to come by. This guy is one of the best sleeper/value potential picks on the board, but that could drop in a hurry if Moose goes to the Redbirds. 

Is there any chance this guy gets 500 AB this season?

118 career games, .316 BA, 51 R, 14 HR, 47 RBI, .903 OPS.....

4 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Probably not unless someone gets injured or they decide to bench gyrko and move Carpenter to third.

4 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Unless he gets hurt or like @AnonymousRob says... if they sign Moustakas... I do think he sails over 500.

He'll be sailing over .500 SLG with 500 AB.  

He is another late bloomer guy that proves that productivity bell curves are not age dependent.  It's all about mindset, approach and opportunity with a solid organizational support system.

really intrigued with this guy now.

thanks as always rotoworld

Just got him tonight at pick 306 in a 15 team slow draft.  Hoping they do give him time at 1B to start the season and he can cement his position with a solid start.

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Unless he gets hurt or like @AnonymousRob says... if they sign Moustakas... I do think he sails over 500.

How do you figure that unless someone gets injured? I'm very high on Jose Martinez too, but I just don't see it happening barring injury.

49 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

How do you figure that unless someone gets injured? I'm very high on Jose Martinez too, but I just don't see it happening barring injury.

Someone will get injured, and I dont think Jose has a bat you can just leave out of the lineup.