Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

On 3/4/2018 at 11:32 AM, AnonymousRob said:

I think the biggest threat was, and continues to be, Moustakas. 

?

He is way down in the Yahoo rankings, and his ADP is probably about as bad.

How unheralded is this guy? What round should we target him? I only ask because it seemed the other Jose last year (Ramirez) was under the radar but one guy did snipe him right before I was going to take him in the 11th rd last year.

I realize talking about him more probably hurts his status as an unknown but just trying to get a feel for how to time this.

53 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

?

i wasnt worried but big hurdle.....quiet spring should have him available for cheap.....i may be crazy but like him for 1B/CI for cheap and spend big $ elsewhere - love the upside

9 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

i wasnt worried but big hurdle.....quiet spring should have him available for cheap.....i may be crazy but like him for 1B/CI for cheap and spend big $ elsewhere - love the upside

He homered today. I think Jose is best suited for deeper daily leagues, but he has the upside to be a 25-30 hr guy with a 280-300 batting average in a very good lineup. 

5 hours ago, UberRebel said:

He is way down in the Yahoo rankings, and his ADP is probably about as bad.

How unheralded is this guy? What round should we target him? I only ask because it seemed the other Jose last year (Ramirez) was under the radar but one guy did snipe him right before I was going to take him in the 11th rd last year.

I realize talking about him more probably hurts his status as an unknown but just trying to get a feel for how to time this.

Even when he was doing good last year, he was still widely available in tons of leagues, so it's not really surprising.  I remember being a part of that discussion in Jose's thread last season.

I'm still going to target him late.  I'd be fine having him in the CI slot or in one of the UTIL slots.

Uhhh guys? Hate to burst your bubble, but:

"Cardinals manager Mike Matheny indicated Thursday that injury concerns with Matt Carpenter (back, shoulder) could keep him mostly limited to first base.

The Cards told Carpenter going into the offseason to be prepared to move all over the diamond, but he's coming back from a shoulder injury and has yet to play this spring because of a back ailment. "That’s a great question," Matheny said. "I don’t think anything has changed really in our mindset. We’ll have to see how he’s doing all the way around. The shoulder is always something that we’re concerned about. He’s trying to get his back right; he’s also been trying to get his shoulder to a really good place. There might be something that would push him more toward first base than third." If Carpenter winds up being limited to one position, it would be bad news for Jose Martinez. Carpenter took batting practice in the cage Thursday and expects to be able to get in two weeks' worth of Grapefruit League games in order to prepare for Opening Day."

He's not getting 450 ABs.

I respect Matt Carpenter, but he has become this massive albatross.  An untradeable damaged "asset" who may never recover his power and overcompensates due to the shoulder.  Sad to see what was once a beast hitter become the elephant in the room.

30 minutes ago, jimbo504 said:

"Cardinals manager Mike Matheny indicated Thursday that injury concerns with Matt Carpenter (back, shoulder) could keep him mostly limited to first base.

The Cards told Carpenter going into the offseason to be prepared to move all over the diamond, but he's coming back from a shoulder injury and has yet to play this spring because of a back ailment. "That’s a great question," Matheny said. "I don’t think anything has changed really in our mindset. We’ll have to see how he’s doing all the way around. The shoulder is always something that we’re concerned about. He’s trying to get his back right; he’s also been trying to get his shoulder to a really good place. There might be something that would push him more toward first base than third." If Carpenter winds up being limited to one position, it would be bad news for Jose Martinez. Carpenter took batting practice in the cage Thursday and expects to be able to get in two weeks' worth of Grapefruit League games in order to prepare for Opening Day."

I wouldn't bet my house on it, but I do think he gets to 450.  I've said he's best for deeper daily leagues because the lineup will change, but he showed a lot last year. He will get ABs in the OF too. Carpenter may not even start the regular season on the active roster.

39 minutes ago, jimbo504 said:

and there's the bomb I was worried about all along - still think he finds a way to get ABs but risk just went up even more....Carpenter should be pretty cheap so maybe buy both on the cheap and cover production from the two ala football RBBC.   If its cheap enough it may not be a bad way to go if you miss out on a stud 1B

7 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Even when he was doing good last year, he was still widely available in tons of leagues, so it's not really surprising.  I remember being a part of that discussion in Jose's thread last season.

I'm still going to target him late.  I'd be fine having him in the CI slot or in one of the UTIL slots.

I remember someone posted last year that he suffers from having the most generic Latin American name in baseball so that suppresses his value lol

2 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I remember someone posted last year that he suffers from having the most generic Latin American name in baseball so that suppresses his value lol

Thats why I had to rename him Edwin Magnifico. And It was me.

A 6'7 225lb gargantuan with hard contact to all fields, a new fly ball approach, and a good understanding of the zone?

Pass. 

9 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

A 6'7 225lb gargantuan with hard contact to all fields, a new fly ball approach, and a good understanding of the zone?

Pass. 

It's Mike Matheny!

I actually saw this on ESPN shortly after I made my post the other day, but since Matt Carpenter is likely going to have to play 1B since he still has him bumb shoulder from last season, I'm guessing there isn't going to be a starting spot for Martinez.  There goes my feelings of being able to roll with him as a CI or UTIL guy.

Honestly, Carpenter shouldn't be playing.  It's evident by last season that he can't really play with his bad shoulder, as all he really can do consistently is draw walks.  It would be a real shame to see a guy with the potential of Martinez be relegated to a part-time role just because they have to play Carpenter.

For where you can potentially draft this dude, I'm taking a shot on him 10/10 times. If the playing situation doesn't shake out, just throw him back in. Can't see it happening if he hits like this though, these things usually sort themselves out. The juice is worth the squeeze. 

Thanks guys for my new man crush.

I don't see how the Cards can leave this guy on the pine.

28 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I don't see how the Cards can leave this guy on the pine.

I don't either, but I also don't have any idea where they can play him.  All 3 of their OF spots are locked in (Ozuna, Pham, and Fowler all are obviously starting), and Carpenter will likely only be able to play 1B.  It would be simple if both Carpenter and the team admitted that he really shouldn't be playing, but that'll never happen.

4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I actually saw this on ESPN shortly after I made my post the other day, but since Matt Carpenter is likely going to have to play 1B since he still has him bumb shoulder from last season, I'm guessing there isn't going to be a starting spot for Martinez.  There goes my feelings of being able to roll with him as a CI or UTIL guy.

Honestly, Carpenter shouldn't be playing.  It's evident by last season that he can't really play with his bad shoulder, as all he really can do consistently is draw walks.  It would be a real shame to see a guy with the potential of Martinez be relegated to a part-time role just because they have to play Carpenter.

This is the older school Matheny/Dusty way of lineup construction.  Never let a vet get mad at you and ootion down all naysaying talented young studs to be.

4 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

For where you can potentially draft this dude, I'm taking a shot on him 10/10 times. If the playing situation doesn't shake out, just throw him back in. Can't see it happening if he hits like this though, these things usually sort themselves out. The juice is worth the squeeze. 

Thanks guys for my new man crush.

I love the value because of all the March depth chart slaves. Same with Robles too honestly.  When I first started playing fantasy baseball I cared much more who was projected to bat leadoff when the season started, or who was the closer on opening day.  If you think a player is good, you should go with that feeling especially at a discount. 

I still think you probably want him in daily leagues. 

7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I love the value because of all the March depth chart slaves. Same with Robles too honestly.  When I first started playing fantasy baseball I cared much more who was projected to bat leadoff when the season started, or who was the closer on opening day.  If you think a player is good, you should go with that feeling especially at a discount. 

I still think you probably want him in daily leagues. 

Agreed for sure. Honestly though even in weekly leagues I'm taking a shot on this guy for the upside. For an ADP around the 300s the risk is negligible and I believe you could be looking at potential league winning value. The more I look into this guy's numbers the more I'm buying in. José all the way. 

Any chance this guy maybe plays 3rd base? Seems like Gyorko might not be the starter the whole year

22 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Any chance this guy maybe plays 3rd base? Seems like Gyorko might not be the starter the whole year

It's rare to see giants at the hot corner.  Has he ever manned it before?

Guys like Glaus and Bryant are clear exceptions.

Fc 

23 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Well why wouldn't gyorko play there?

23 hours ago, Picard56 said:

gyorko is a great defensively and pretty solid with the bat, why wouldn't he man 3rd?