Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

They also have Greg Garcia on the depth chart at 3B. José's best shot is at 1B or the corner OF. Ozuna, Fowler, and Carpenter are the guys blocking him most from more playing time. It sounds like Carp is feeling better so maybe he could see some time at 3B again. Wouldn't bet on it though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just seems to me Martinez is only suited to play 1B and some OF.  He has played 0 games at 3b in professional baseball and I don't see him having a good zone rating over there.  He has 1 game at 2B.  http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=500874#/career/R/fielding/2018/MINORS

 

Wong is likely to sit vs most lefties if not all though.  Best case scenario there would be to hope Carp can handle the keystone on those days with DeJong and Gyorko at SS and 3B respectively, leaving Martinez 1B.  The OF is still crowded though I could forsee Fowler sucking on offense, thus giving way to Martinez a lot in RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some recent news I just saw via CBSSPORTS

 

Cardinals' Matt Carpenter: "Feels great" after Tuesday return
2 hrs ago
Carpenter (back) filled the designated hitter role in his Grapefruit League debut Tuesday, drawing two walks and scoring twice in a pair of plate appearances during an 11-4 win over the Marlins.

The veteran infielder finally saw game action after dealing with a back issue since a mid-February weight lifting session brought about a sprain. Carpenter's exit after two at-bats was planned, according to Joe Trezza of MLB.com, as opposed to a sign of any setback. He's now slated to play first base on Wednesday versus the Astros, with a possible turn at second later in the week. As far as his debut outing, Carpenter encouragingly took multiple swings and ran the bases without issue, leaving him highly satisfied with his long-awaited return to the field. "I felt great," Carpenter said of his brief return. "I saw the ball well. Now, it's just about building at-bats through the spring and I'll be ready to go."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Fc 

 

 

Well why wouldn't gyorko play there?

 

Because he is kind of inconsistent with the bat. He's not horrible, but he's just kind of average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Picard56 said:

 

Because he is kind of inconsistent with the bat. He's not horrible, but he's just kind of average.

 

He's not a super exciting hitter, but he's pretty solid. Above average. Maybe average or below for fantasy depending on the league.

 

You can't just say "he's going to lose his job" The only person who is a better hitter than him and can play 3b is Carpenter. So yes if Jose is hitting well and carpenter can play 3rd, that might change. If nobody else can play 3rd, I don't see how he loses the job. Not like they have a hot 3b prospect who is close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

He's not a super exciting hitter, but he's pretty solid. Above average. Maybe average or below for fantasy depending on the league.

 

You can't just say "he's going to lose his job" The only person who is a better hitter than him and can play 3b is Carpenter. So yes if Jose is hitting well and carpenter can play 3rd, that might change. If nobody else can play 3rd, I don't see how he loses the job. Not like they have a hot 3b prospect who is close. 

 

I'm trying to be optimistic here, because like you I am a believer in Edwin Magnifico. I just wish he had a clearer path to more AB's, and I'd be picking him up everywhere I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

 

I'm trying to be optimistic here, because like you I am a believer in Edwin Magnifico. I just wish he had a clearer path to more AB's, and I'd be picking him up everywhere I can.

 

If he had a clearer path to palying time, he’d be a lot more expensive. Enjoy the discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

If he had a clearer path to palying time, he’d be a lot more expensive. Enjoy the discount.

 

Not much of a discount if he isn't even playing. I don't think he is very high on a lot of people's radars anyways, besides some people in this forum. It would be a discount of him being a relative unknown going into the season where you could draft him late in the draft with a clear path to playing time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

 

Not much of a discount if he isn't even playing. I don't think he is very high on a lot of people's radars anyways, besides some people in this forum. It would be a discount of him being a relative unknown going into the season where you could draft him late in the draft with a clear path to playing time.

 

Every league is different. There are some leagues where he probably shouldn’t be drafted because they are too shallow and weekly , and if he heats up you’ll have time to pick him off waivers.

 

most of my leagues are fairly deep. I will take the discount and bet on a bat I believe. I have Conforto for $1 in an nl only league that I won last year because “where is he going to play?, he might not make the roster “.

 

Teams don’t sit very good hitters for long. If you think he’s a really good hitter, take the bet in the apropriate league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

 

Not much of a discount if he isn't even playing. I don't think he is very high on a lot of people's radars anyways, besides some people in this forum. It would be a discount of him being a relative unknown going into the season where you could draft him late in the draft with a clear path to playing time.

He's going to play. I still think Carp plays some 3B, especially vs lefties to get Martinez in.  Also remember with the 10 DL there will be plenty of phantom DL for hitters and off days for Pham/Fowler too.  They aren't exactly bastions of good health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Magoo said:

 

He's going to play. I still think Carp plays some 3B, especially vs lefties to get Martinez in.  Also remember with the 10 DL there will be plenty of phantom DL for hitters and off days for Pham/Fowler too.  They aren't exactly bastions of good health.

Unless you're in a deep league like brockpapersizer described, it's going to be hard to draft Martinez right now until you know he's going to get more than just occasional playing time.  I've already posted about being high on Martinez as well, but I'm only going to have him on my team if I know for sure Carpenter will be playing anywhere but 1B on a regular basis.  You can't roster a guy who is just going to give guys a breather, even if he deserves to start obviously.

 

Things could change soon, and if they do, great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna gamble and grab him with my next pick.  I'm feeling lucky, big PT no whammies . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this dude take BP at Wrigley last year.  The shots he was hitting were insane.  His power is freakish.  I think he'll earn himself a substantial amount of at-bats this year.  He's not a defensive wizard by any stretch of the imagination but he can mash a baseball with the best of them.  I'm buying this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure on his arm strength, but maybe he can handle RF?  IF playing time is looking sketchy.  It's about as crowded as the OF was last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Carp will be able to play 3rd and platoon with Gyorko.  At least we are seeing significant improvement.

 

ETA I'm just getting a strong gut feel that he is going to have a Pujols like impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Maybe Carp will be able to play 3rd and platoon with Gyorko.  At least we are seeing significant improvement.

 

ETA I'm just getting a strong gut feel that he is going to have a Pujols like impact.

 

In regards to your Pujols comment, I have that same feeling.  I like him a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad he isn't 21 but at least he doesn't have the mileage of a typical 29 yo.  I could see him producing at an elite level for 5-6 years.  He hits the ball everywhere just like Albert did coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 6:21 AM, STLSU said:

I respect Matt Carpenter, but he has become this massive albatross.  An untradeable damaged "asset" who may never recover his power and overcompensates due to the shoulder.  Sad to see what was once a beast hitter become the elephant in the room.

 

Uhhh, guy still had a .384 OBP and was worth 2.9 wins last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

 

Uhhh, guy still had a .384 OBP and was worth 2.9 wins last year.

We'll see if he stops selling out for more power.  He's worth a lot more wins as the 2013-15 version.  I'll give him a mulligan since he was playing hurt and is back in his old mindset.

 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/carpenter-vows-that-he-s-done-selling-my-soul-for/article_a9e228bb-be34-5d30-9dd4-d69c8edcf563.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, STLSU said:

Maybe Carp will be able to play 3rd and platoon with Gyorko.  At least we are seeing significant improvement.

 

ETA I'm just getting a strong gut feel that he is going to have a Pujols like impact.

 

Wait, like you think he's going to be similar to prime Albert Pujols?  Think it might be time to pump the brakes a bit on this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

 

Wait, like you think he's going to be similar to prime Albert Pujols?  Think it might be time to pump the brakes a bit on this guy.

You said it.  I'm talking about when he hit the stage as a completely unknown quantity in 2001.  Have you checked any of the metrics and hit charts?  Apparently not.  They are eerily similar profiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, STLSU said:

You said it.  I'm talking about when he hit the stage as a completely unknown quantity in 2001.  Have you checked any of the metrics and hit charts?  Apparently not.  They are eerily similar profiles.

 

You said you felt he was going to have a "Pujols like impact".

 

How am I supposed to take your comment, other than you think he could put up similar numbers to Pujols' rookie season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Matt Carpenter still able to play 2B? 

 

Wong is adequate but if Carp can cover 2B and free up 1B for Martinez I think that vastly improves the STL lineup.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

 

You said you felt he was going to have a "Pujols like impact".

 

How am I supposed to take your comment, other than you think he could put up similar numbers to Pujols' rookie season?

well you had said Pujols prime, which I'm not saying.  But look at his spray charts and batted ball data.  He has tapped into the power that comes along with a huge 6'7" frame.  If you'll recall, Pujols just seemed to appear out of nowhere and was on no one's radar, kinda like this guy.  

 

I think a fair triple slash projection this year assuming 500 AB (hypothetically) would be something like .295/.365/.510.  He is a .300 hitter and lofts in all directions like 96GOAT was referencing from Wrigley BP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.