Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brockpapersizer

Jose Martinez 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, STLSU said:

well you had said Pujols prime, which I'm not saying.  But look at his spray charts and batted ball data.  He has tapped into the power that comes along with a huge 6'7" frame.  If you'll recall, Pujols just seemed to appear out of nowhere and was on no one's radar, kinda like this guy.  

I think a fair triple slash projection this year assuming 500 AB (hypothetically) would be something like .295/.365/.510.  He is a .300 hitter and lofts in all directions like 96GOAT was referencing from Wrigley BP.

That triple slash line is not even remotely close to even Pujols' rookie season. 

4 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

That triple slash line is not even remotely close to even Pujols' rookie season. 

Wow.  You are a feisty one indeed.  I was merely making an analogy, not a clone.

22 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Wow.  You are a feisty one indeed.  I was merely making an analogy, not a clone.

I get it.  I just think saying anyone will have a Pujols-like rookie season is pretty agressive.  Pujols had maybe the second greatest rookie season ever, second to only Ted Williams.

Regardless, I'll drop it, cause my quibbling isn't progressing the thread.

I know man, he was a .600 slugger 1.000 OPSer year after year after year.  

As an aside, it seems very hard to get the big name guys to come to "the Lou" or STL a la Harper, Machado, Trout, Stanton.  Seems like we have to find other avenues and create stars.  I know it's a big mantle Pujols has left behind here, but I really do hope Matheny knows what he is doing here and gives him a chance to shine.  

15 hours ago, STLSU said:

You said it.  I'm talking about when he hit the stage as a completely unknown quantity in 2001.  Have you checked any of the metrics and hit charts?  Apparently not.  They are eerily similar profiles.

100% this.

Carp is starting at 3B today fwiw and Gyorko at 2B, so maybe Jose does get more playing time...

Cardinals starting Matt Carpenter at 3B, Gyorko at 2B and Jose at 1B today against the righthander A.J. Cole, with Wong getting the day off. At least it shows they feel good enough about Carpenter's shoulder to play him away from 1B and get Martinez in there, opening up a possibility for at-bats if any of Carpenter, Gyorko or Wong are hurt or need a day off.

I'm starting to think he might force the issue and the Cardinals know that they need to give this man full time ab's.... I'm so tempted to pick this guy up in a shallow league.

All this guy does is hit. Someone get the it's happening gif ready.

Josééé, josé, josé, josé!!!

19 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I'm starting to think he might force the issue and the Cardinals know that they need to give this man full time ab's.... I'm so tempted to pick this guy up in a shallow league.

Yeah I picked him up this morning once I saw Carp was starting at 3B.

just hit another double, 3 rbi today.

Wouldn't it be easier to put Carp at 2nd? He wouldn't have to play across the diamond. Carpenter himself said that they need to find Ab's for Martinez.

18 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to put Carp at 2nd? He wouldn't have to play across the diamond. Carpenter himself said that they need to find Ab's for Martinez.

Totally agree. Carpenter at second opens up full time at bats for a potential STUD hitter. Make Wong, who has nowhere near the offensive potential of Martinez, the super sub - not Martinez.

I think Gyorko is a very decent hitter, but if everyone is healthy I see Gyorko being the Utility guy and Carp 3, Jose 1.   Gyorko can get into the lineup if someone is hurt or on basically any rest day and push Jose to LF/RF when an OF needs a day off. 

49 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I get what you are saying, and it would be easier for him to throw from 2B than 3B of course, but I don't see them benching Wong.  He was actually one of their better hitters last season, so if anyone gets benched for Martinez, I think it's Gyorko.

If Carpenter can prove he can handle 3B on a regular basis for the rest of Spring Training (his throws last season from there were hard to watch even though they continued to play him there), then I'll change my tune in here and be back on board with drafting Martinez again.  Luckily my draft isn't until right before Opening Day, so I have time.

They were willing to play him regularly last season when he forced their hand, so I find it hard to believe they won't give Martinez the 1B job if they are comfortable with Carpenter at 3B.

4 hours ago, Picard56 said:

The real question is: Who would you be dropping to pick him up?

1 minute ago, Gravityshifter said:

The real question is: Who would you be dropping to pick him up?

Someone on the bench that has little value.

10 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Someone on the bench that has little value.

Without knowing the name of the player or your league format, sounds like a worthwhile drop. 

28 minutes ago, Gravityshifter said:

Without knowing the name of the player or your league format, sounds like a worthwhile drop. 

Well aren't you just a nosey nancy... I dropped Dylan Bundy  him for .

I really don't believe opportunity to play every day will be an issue.  How can't the Cardinals find him a place in the lineup after the 2nd half he had last season? 

The issue is whether he will put up those numbers again.

This will be a fun thread to bookmark for October 

Bye bye Jorge Polanco.

All aboard the J-Mart train.

That was easy