Impeccable

Off-season Closer Thread 2017/18

should there be any concern with Felipe Rivero's splits from 1st half to 2nd half?

1st- 0.76 ERA, 0.72 WHIP, .185 BABIP, 81.9 LOB%, 19.1 hard hit%

2nd- 3.21 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, .302 BABIP, 76.9 LOB%, 37.2 hard hit%

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Hirano got beat up a little yesterday

I saw that.  This is my favorite battle to follow.  Hirano is so cheap that he could be crazy value and with the skills Boxberger showed in the second half he would arguably vault into the top 10 if he gets the job.  

1 hour ago, svdude said:

Curious on what people are hearing about the Atlanta closer situation.  I own Viz, but am seeing a lot of people saying they think Minter will get the nod (ala Kimbrel - he had a cup of coffee and the next year started as closer).

Vizcaino will start the season as closer.  We need to take a moment to pump the brakes a little on Minter.  I've seen him go in the first round of dynasty rookie drafts.   He's got to stay healthy, and he may even be behind Ramirez for next in line.  

Edited by kidtwentytwo
  • Like 4

I'm also surprised that there isn't more buzz on Soria.  He's basically a lock for closer save for the manager stating it.  Would rather have him than Greene.

28 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I'm also surprised that there isn't more buzz on Soria.  He's basically a lock for closer save for the manager stating it.  Would rather have him than Greene.

If Nate Jones is healthy which he says he is, i don't know how long Soria keeps  the job

4 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

If Nate Jones is healthy which he says he is, i don't know how long Soria keeps  the job

Has that guy ever stayed healthy?  I doubt he pitches back to back nights regardless, and Soria would likely only lose the job via trade and/or poor performance.  And both may not happen.

18 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Is there anywhere that:

A: Ranks RP in Saves+Holds formate

and/or

B: Keeps Saves+Holds stats in the same list

A: Have not found one

B: Fantasy Pros has downloadable projected stats and includes both. You'll just need to insert a column to create a sum function to add the two together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rando said:

A: Have not found one

B: Fantasy Pros has downloadable projected stats and includes both. You'll just need to insert a column to create a sum function to add the two together.

Sweet.

Where are the downloadable projected stats? I can't find them.

ST Observations.  May or may not mean anything.

Soria was hooooorrible today.  

Can't find anything about Brad Brach pitching.

Boxberger shelved with arm soreness.  Both Bradley & Hirano have looked rough

Claudio & Kela look good in limited appearances.  

Keep an eye on Melancon when he starts throwing in games

Vizcaino isn't doing anything to lose the job

Parker shelled in only appearance

Marlins aren't throwing their Vets.  I know everyone likes Steckenrider, but the Marlins are cheap and it wouldn't surprise me if they throw in a player with more service time into the role first.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

ST Observations.  May or may not mean anything.

Soria was hooooorrible today.  

Can't find anything about Brad Brach pitching.

Boxberger shelved with arm soreness.  Both Bradley & Hirano have looked rough

Claudio & Kela look good in limited appearances.  

Keep an eye on Melancon when he starts throwing in games

Vizcaino isn't doing anything to lose the job

Parker shelled in only appearance

Marlins aren't throwing their Vets.  I know everyone likes Steckenrider, but the Marlins are cheap and it wouldn't surprise me if they throw in a player with more service time into the role first.  

Honestly wouldn't worry about Bradley yet.  He's trying to add the change up back to his arsenal this Spring.  I would say that if it continues to disappoint...he will scrap it and go back to the mix he was using last year. 

Brad Brach is supposed to pitch today (Sunday).  

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/969946262672986112

• Thanks 1

Lovullo reminding us what many managers do, you have to look at the "stuff" on individual outings and not the results with dried out ARZ balls. As we get into major stations broadcasting games now, gotta watch individual ABs to evaluate.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180304&content_id=267842732&vkey=news_ari&c_id=ari

Edited by bbythepier

5 minutes ago, bbythepier said:

Lovullo reminding us what many managers do, you have to look at the "stuff" on individual outings and not the results with dried out ARZ balls. As we get into major stations broadcasting games now, gotta watch individual ABs to evaluate.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180304&content_id=267842732&vkey=news_ari&c_id=ari

I watched Hirano pitch yesterday. Not that special.

I wonder what the chances are 25yo Sam Tuivallala can come around the outside and steal this like a 24yo Rosenthal did in 2014. Probably 15-1 if Bovada put it up?

Oblique injuries are no bueno.  That's what kicked off Britton's season last year.  

Who in the world do you target?  Norris has looked awful.  Lyons may be the best pitcher but has looked meh.  Tui has looked good.  Leone?  No idea

Best chance to get closer role?

AJ Hinter

Brad Boxberger

Kyle Barraclough

Emilio Pagan

Drew Steckenrider

53 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

AJ Hinter

Brad Boxberger

Kyle Barraclough

Emilio Pagan

Drew Steckenrider

Gotta be Barraclough, I think.  

Also, assuming you meant "AJ Minter" from the Braves

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HOOTIE said:

AJ Hinter

Brad Boxberger

Kyle Barraclough

Emilio Pagan

Drew Steckenrider

Boxberger - Committee as of now

Pagan - Treinen is anything but proven.

Minter - Same for Vizcaino

Steckenrider - Farther away from arb than Beaclaw

Bearclaw - See above.  Plus control issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's the story in Texas?  I read in most places that Claudio ended 2017 as the closer so it's his job to lose, but in other places I see it's an open competition between him and Kela, and then Closer Monkey has Kela in the role.  Anything I'm missing here?

Logically I would think Kela makes the most sense, with Claudio in a LOOGY/setup role with his severe L/R splits.  I guess the main concerns with Kela seem to be behavioral.  Is that behind him now?

Jeury's Familia got hammered today and doesn't appear to be ready to start the season. 

Better grab AJ Ramos as either a cuff or the closer in a shaky situation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Oblique injuries are no bueno.  That's what kicked off Britton's season last year.  

Who in the world do you target?  Norris has looked awful.  Lyons may be the best pitcher but has looked meh.  Tui has looked good.  Leone?  No idea

Holland.

5 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

What's the story in Texas?  I read in most places that Claudio ended 2017 as the closer so it's his job to lose, but in other places I see it's an open competition between him and Kela, and then Closer Monkey has Kela in the role.  Anything I'm missing here?

Logically I would think Kela makes the most sense, with Claudio in a LOOGY/setup role with his severe L/R splits.  I guess the main concerns with Kela seem to be behavioral.  Is that behind him now?

Don't forget Diekman.  Still very much in play.

38 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Holland.

This is who I keep expecting to see sign with the Angels.

And I say this as an owner of a $2 parker and a $2 bedrosian.  

Anyone have any idea what’s going on in philly(who looks good, who doesn’t)? This closer by committee deal is driving me bananas.