Impeccable

Off-season Closer Thread 2017/18

13 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

I'm adding SF to the list of Phil Donahue Shows.

I never pay for cable. I’ll be watching all of em, closely. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Are the tea leaves pointing more to dyson or Strickland?

My money is on Dyson getting the first shot due to him pitching reasonably well in the role last year. I’m not too confident in his ability to hold onto the role though. If/when he implodes my next guess would be a CBC approach with Strickland and Watson getting shots at it depending on match ups.

8 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Are the tea leaves pointing more to dyson or Strickland?

Everyone seems to be adding Dyson in my leagues, but I feel like it'll be Strickland.  He's been good this spring and is a well known quantity in SF.  Dyson has been so bad in ST that his WHIP (2.38) could be mistaken for ERA on the boxscore.  He pitched in a ST game yesterday, and I'd almost wonder if it was his final audition, because there was chatter he might get cut to save the $4 million he'd be making.

That said though, that's just using recent events.  Dyson did close some at the very end of the season last year for SF I think, and did OK, and if they do keep him on the team he's making the kind of money you'd expect to pay a high leverage RP.

We also still don't know if Melancon will officially miss time.  Seems like he will, but they DL'ed MadBum yesterday and not Melancon yet, so nothing is set in stone.

The article I posted mentioned that rosters aren't due until 11:30 AM Thursday for the Giants (at least I'm pretty sure that's what I read without double checking).  I also think that referenced Pacific Time.  Anyway - they've got a day or two to figure it out, and I'd anticipate they want to see him throw Wednesday before making that call.  After reading what I saw on the Chronicle website about his muscle being gray and the doctor being shocked, and then seeing it removed from the article very shortly thereafter, it makes me think the Giants are trying to keep this very quiet.  I have no faith in Melancon at all.  

I personally would grab Strickland now before his price goes through the roof if/when Melancon gets DL'd.  

It's just Spring Training, granted, but Dyson has an ERA north of 11 and a 2.38 WHIP.  He's allowed 14 Hs and 5 BBs in 8 IP.  Watson's a LHP, got removed from the closer's role last year in Pittsburgh, got knocked around a good portion of the season, and is rocking an 8.59 ERA with a 2.59 WHIP right now in his 7.1 IP this spring.

You can look at that and say, well it's only 8 IP in ST for Dyson and Watson, which is correct, but it's also in stark contrast to what Strickland's done this spring: 7.1 IP, 2 Hs, 1 BB, 8 Ks - no ER, 0.45 WHIP. 

People can debate Dyson vs Strickland sure, but in shallower leagues or h2h/points format there's no way I'm touching Dyson even if he gets the gig.

Dyson's bad spring in addition to his bad start last year would have me nervous about adding. We have seen Bad Dyson before and it's not pretty.  I think it's probably a coin flip as to who is closing but if I had a choice between the two I would roll with Strickland.

Pretty easy decision for me. If Dyson or Watson get the gig, I won't feel that bad missing out. If Strickland gets it, I will have wished I picked him up. So I picked up Strickland.

• Like 5

Looks like its Kela in TX.

Per Rangers Beat Writer- Rangers manager Jeff Banister won't name a dedicated ninth-inning man before the start of the regular season, but Grant writes Wednesday in a Q&A with Morning News readers that he thinks "the first chance is going to Kela" and that Kela "can seize it from the start and hold it." The 24-year-old right-hander certainly has the most closer-like profile of any pitcher in the Rangers' bullpen, with Alex Claudio better suited for situations with runners on base. Kela posted a 2.79 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, and 51/17 K/BB ratio over 38 2/3 innings for Texas in 2017

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

Looks like its Kela in TX.

Per Rangers Beat Writer- Rangers manager Jeff Banister won't name a dedicated ninth-inning man before the start of the regular season, but Grant writes Wednesday in a Q&A with Morning News readers that he thinks "the first chance is going to Kela" and that Kela "can seize it from the start and hold it." The 24-year-old right-hander certainly has the most closer-like profile of any pitcher in the Rangers' bullpen, with Alex Claudio better suited for situations with runners on base. Kela posted a 2.79 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, and 51/17 K/BB ratio over 38 2/3 innings for Texas in 2017

I hope Grant is right.  And I also hope we get to see a couple save opportunities early so we can establish whose job it is to lose sooner than later.

What are the chances Hicks gets a shot at closing within....

The first month?

By the ASB?

I  the second half?

Thoughts on him? I don't trust much in that Cards pen.

18 minutes ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

Anyone holding onto Lyons for possible closing duties?

He's a lefty and they have Leone currently in the spot with Gregerson likely ready soon. If you can use his ratios he could be a good placeholder until another closing opportunity opens up but I doubt Lyons will ever get an extended opportunity.

13 minutes ago, pintotheblackstuff said:

What are the chances Hicks gets a shot at closing within....

The first month?

By the ASB?

I  the second half?

Thoughts on him? I don't trust much in that Cards pen.

Hicks further muddies the closer situation. Its hard to tell, but I'd say 0 for the first month.

Hard to rule out for the whole season, we've seen this before with the Cardinals with Wainwright. But it'll be dependent on how Leone fills in more so than how Hicks performs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Has Sciociapath said Parker, or is that just like someone's opinion, man?

giphy.gif

Beat writer's opinion.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Has Sciociapath said Parker, or is that just like someone's opinion, man?

giphy.gif

To be fair, Scioscia himself could have said it and it still wouldn't have cleared up the situation much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Beat writer's opinion.....

Thanks! That’s what I thought. Been selling off shares of Bedrock for McMahon. Prob need to chill for now. 

8 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

Anyone really believe Fernando Rodney can really hold on to the job? This guy never goes away and I over paid for Reed because I convinced myself that this will be the year!

Same story every year. Don’t count on anything. 

8 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

Anyone really believe Fernando Rodney can really hold on to the job? This guy never goes away and I over paid for Reed because I convinced myself that this will be the year!

You said it yourself, the guy never goes away.  will this be the year?  Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.  It's a similar situation to K-Rod last year in Detroit where they gave him so long to try and right the ship - if you pull the plug on Rodney as a closer due to ineffectiveness, then he essentially has no place in the bullpen and is a $4.5 million boat anchor for a low budget team.

That's not a likely scenario at all, unless they realize after many many blown saves that he's finally done.  He'll be given every opportunity to keep the job.

If you pay attention and LOOK for struggling closers. All you have to do is pick up the next best guy in the pen(generally), and hope that first guy blows another one. Here's a guy that got selected around pick 140-150 last year: Jose Ramirez. You could make a strong case to draft that guy at the end of the first round. It's all about value. I wouldn't suggest this in roto. But in H2H, the playoffs are at the end of the year.