Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fuzzy_Slippers

Jose Bautista 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

Unless you have sources you failed to mention, it's in pretty poor taste to accuse someone of cheating with absolutely zero supporting evidence.

He played well at an advanced age and he wanted to get paid for it... Doesn't sound that scummy to me. 

 

I love seeing MLB players get paid for their hard work and entertainment as much as anyone... but need to be realistic: he was looking for $150m at his age and with his injury history. He really played his cards wrong when he said "Doesn’t exist [hometown discount]. Not in my world. In my eyes, I’ve given this organization a 5-year hometown discount already. I'm not willing to negotiate. I don't think there should be any negotiation. I think I've proven myself. There's no negotiation. I told them what I wanted. They either meet it or it is what it is." I mean, come on now... literally the worst way to try and get paid. I mean even David Ortiz (who is a way better player than Bautista) understood that at his age he needed to accept short-term deals, and that's with a franchise he was with for his whole career, and a franchise that he gave a lot more to than Bautista did to Toronto. Sorry but Bautista played his cards extremely horrible and paid the price for it... big time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MJDrocks said:

 Could be interesting power at 3B.

What power?

In 2016 he had 22 HR in 586 PA's and he followed that up last year with only 23 in nearly 700 PA's. He had SLG% of .452 and .366 and his plate discipline completely evaporated last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braves manager..

 

"“The reports are really good -- defensively, offensively, how he’s playing the game, the shape he’s in,” Braves manager Brian Snitker said. “I think that’s what blows everybody away, the shape that he is in. He’s in good baseball shape. It’s just a matter of timing and getting him to Triple-A to see a little better pitching.”"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Braves are really high on him it seems. Already deeming him the starting 3B when he comes up. With the young core around him I think he can have some decent value in 12+ teamers and especially NL only leagues. ROS I think he can achieve a line of 250/340/25/75. It could easily fall apart but I think he needed a fresh start leaving the Jays. 

www.numberfire.com/mlb/player-news/79870/jose-bautista-to-be-braves-starting-third-baseman

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's baaaaack... with the Braves... at third base... soon.

 

www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23232648/jose-bautista-agrees-minor-league-deal-atlanta-braves-play-3b

 

Feels weird to ask about him, but is there anything to see here??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OG swing change guy.  I hope he sticks it to everybody and has a huge year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched him last night in person. From what it sounds like he’ll be up by the end of the week and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s batting cleanup behind Ender, Albies, and Freeman in a great home ballpark making it an ideal spot for fantasy production. The good news from what I saw last night was he looked surprisingly adept at third. The bad news is he looked pretty awful at the plate. He had several swings and misses against a meh lefty who was topping out at 87.  He’s probably going to be added soon in most leagues given his name and the opportunity. The problem is he’s going to be a tough hold if he starts out slowly which seems pretty likely given how bad he was last year, no spring training, and limited at bats on his current assignment. My gut feeling is that his bat is toast but I also don’t mind using a bench spot in deep leagues for the next 3-4 weeks to see if I’m wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2017 at 2:04 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Only projected to hit .226 next season with a 103 wRC+. Basically a below  average player now.

 

7EGuIJc.jpg

 

Fixed for ya...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

 

Fixed for ya...

Not a fan of Bautista at all, but if he can be productive and play a decent 3B, that Braves lineup is going to be legit. Inciarte, Albies, Freeman, and Bautista in the same lineup? Pretty awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Not a fan of Bautista at all, but if he can be productive and play a decent 3B, that Braves lineup is going to be legit. Inciarte, Albies, Freeman, and Bautista in the same lineup? Pretty awesome. 

 

Not saying you're wrong (except Inciarte sux right now) but 3B/CI is pretty deep and he'd have to make a pretty solid impact to draw attention.  I think his batting skills have eroded a great deal as the last two years have shown.   However, I see potential value in 14-16+ team leagues...or deep NL-only leagues.

 

We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the way Flaherty is playing, I’m really puzzled by Atlanta’s insistence on rushing Bautista. 

 

Low risk signing, and if he’s torching AAA then sure, give him a shot. But I really don’t get the rush. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

With the way Flaherty is playing, I’m really puzzled by Atlanta’s insistence on rushing Bautista. 

 

Low risk signing, and if he’s torching AAA then sure, give him a shot. But I really don’t get the rush. 

I think its partially because of the lack of power in the line up.  A lot of good avg, low power guys and Freeman hit better with a HR threat like Kemp in the past batting clean up after him instead of Nick Markakis...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^This, if he's even slightly competent with the bat, he should be productive with that top of the order. And it does still lengthen the lineup. Plus we all know Flaherety is not keeping any part of what he's doing up at all. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's say he is up by Saturday's game for the Braves...

 

does anyone want to take a stab at ROS projections?

 

over/under 17 homers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazybob60 said:

Let's say he is up by Saturday's game for the Braves...

 

does anyone want to take a stab at ROS projections?

 

over/under 17 homers?

I’d say the very safe money is on the under. How bout over under 50 games? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JFS179 said:

With the way Flaherty is playing, I’m really puzzled by Atlanta’s insistence on rushing Bautista. 

 

Low risk signing, and if he’s torching AAA then sure, give him a shot. But I really don’t get the rush. 

 

This is just speculation on my part, but I think the reason Bautista signed with ATL was that Anthopolous promised him a basically every-day 3B role on the big club.  I know the popular narrative on here is that Bautista sucks and is washed, but I read several reports through ST and early April that indicated Bautista was getting contract offers and turning them down because he wanted to either be a full-time player to regain some value for next year, or to go to a legitimate contender.  Latest report I read was that TB and ATL were pursuing Jose the hardest but he was still hoping for a role on a contending team and a shot at a WS.  Obviously we won't know what AA promised to Bautista, but my guess is that what changed Jose's mind is that he was promised a short conditioning stint and then a full time gig with the big team, provided he hits.  I know a lot of people on here might not buy that and think Bautista wasn't signed until now because he has no value, but I do think he has more than "minor league deal" value in that he had some choices on where to sign for peanuts.  He wasn't going to get a big deal anything like last year of course, but for an essentially free flyer I think he had some options to choose from.

 

You also have to think ATL is a better team with Flaherty being used as a super utility player like they probably envisioned when they signed him.  Albies and Freeman have started every game this year, and Swanson has had a single day off.  The 'best' bench bat IF they had was Culberson, who is not good at all.  Flaherty can basically play anywhere and if they actually start giving guys a night off here or there to keep them healthy then Flaherty likely still plays most nights.  Bautista is obviously limited in where he can line up, so playing him every day at 3B and rotating Flaherty around the IF for days off each week gives them maximum flexibility in setting their lineup on a daily basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

 

This is just speculation on my part, but I think the reason Bautista signed with ATL was that Anthopolous promised him a basically every-day 3B role on the big club.  I know the popular narrative on here is that Bautista sucks and is washed, but I read several reports through ST and early April that indicated Bautista was getting contract offers and turning them down because he wanted to either be a full-time player to regain some value for next year, or to go to a legitimate contender.  Latest report I read was that TB and ATL were pursuing Jose the hardest but he was still hoping for a role on a contending team and a shot at a WS.  Obviously we won't know what AA promised to Bautista, but my guess is that what changed Jose's mind is that he was promised a short conditioning stint and then a full time gig with the big team, provided he hits.  I know a lot of people on here might not buy that and think Bautista wasn't signed until now because he has no value, but I do think he has more than "minor league deal" value in that he had some choices on where to sign for peanuts.  He wasn't going to get a big deal anything like last year of course, but for an essentially free flyer I think he had some options to choose from.

 

You also have to think ATL is a better team with Flaherty being used as a super utility player like they probably envisioned when they signed him.  Albies and Freeman have started every game this year, and Swanson has had a single day off.  The 'best' bench bat IF they had was Culberson, who is not good at all.  Flaherty can basically play anywhere and if they actually start giving guys a night off here or there to keep them healthy then Flaherty likely still plays most nights.  Bautista is obviously limited in where he can line up, so playing him every day at 3B and rotating Flaherty around the IF for days off each week gives them maximum flexibility in setting their lineup on a daily basis.

I agree here. Bautista will at least be given the chance to be the everyday 3B. Flaherty will spell him at times and have the UTIL role you mentioned as well (which is great to have on the bench). If Bautista really struggles after a month or so maybe that can change, but I think hes worth a pick up in most leagues. That OF and 3B eligibility will be great even with the power potential he has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed with the take above by @handyandy86 about Bautista having options.  I do think his prior relationship with AA played a role here, and maybe he was promised playing time in exchange for signing.  

 

I also think he fits what Atlanta is looking for at 3B right now, which is a placeholder until they deem Austin Riley fully ready to go.  Riley was sent back to AA (I presume to fully dominate and get off to a hot start, and to allow them to continue playing Rio Ruiz at 3B in AAA) and is crushing right now - .373/.432/.761 so far.  I'm guessing Riley spends most of May in AAA, and stays until they think he's ready to hit in the bigs.  If you're Atlanta, and Riley keeps mashing, and Bautista isn't completely cooked, then Bautista can shift to LF and Riley can take over at 3B, pushing Markakis to the bench in the second half if the Braves are in a pennant race.

 

Inciarte - CF

Albies - 2B

Freeman - 1B

Bautista - LF

Suzuki/Flowers

Acuna

Swanson

Riley

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love bautista, he was one of the best hitters the last decade but I don't expect anything of him. problem is he is physically done having basically shot joints from the ankles up to his shoulders. he once was a great athlete with a great arm but last year he was about the slowest guy in baseball running almost like pujols, kemp and some others. he always was a little injury prone and that won't get better at 38.

 

if he has a couple good weeks before his body is hurting again that would be great but I wouldn't expect too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.4.2018 at 4:58 PM, cs3 said:

What power?

In 2016 he had 22 HR in 586 PA's and he followed that up last year with only 23 in nearly 700 PA's. He had SLG% of .452 and .366 and his plate discipline completely evaporated last season. 

 

wasn't really his plate discipline but contact. plate discipline got slightly worse but was still very good at 25% O-swing, 12% walks. problem is contact, probably due to batspeed going because of his physical decline and injuries. still not a good outlook. also I don't buy he can play 3B, not with his banged up body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he is NL only relevant right now unfortunately he isn't even in ESPN's NL only universe right now so he'll likely garner a waiver claim once he gets called up. Or more specifically 3 or 4 days after he gets called up. I have a #5 spot right now which is perfect. Since it's a keeper league and our waiver position carries over from season to season I don't think anybody above me will waste it on him and my team is in win now mode so I will certainly be attempting to claim him. The worst case scenario is not getting him and moving up to #4.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.