dfstout

Jarrett Allen 2017-18 Season Outlook

You know......one of these days .......may not be this week, but sometime between now and the end of December Allen is going to have a coming out party game.....sure he's had a couple of serviceable lines thus far but nothing that would cause the entirety of the fantasy basketball world to run to go get him ....but one day.......he's going to have THAT game and it may not even be the start of a monster trend , it might just be a one off monster game,  but it'll come and owners across the universe will stand at attention and hope that they can still go out and get him.  It'll demonstrate what we've seen from day 1 (or at least most of us have seen from day 1).    

Buckle up.....the day of the Afro is nigh upon us. 

• Like 1

I just don't see it. Can't play more than 25 minutes, won't score more than 6 points per game... Maybe 7 rebounds, that even might be stretch. 1 block maybe and half of a steal. Just can't see it in him.

5 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

I just don't see it. Can't play more than 25 minutes, won't score more than 6 points per game... Maybe 7 rebounds, that even might be stretch. 1 block maybe and half of a steal. Just can't see it in him.

It's early, give him some time. He got 3 rebounds in 1 minute just now. 

7 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

Impatient people are the worst. The guy turned 20 recently?   I'm glad no one gave up on you when you were 20.

• Like 1

He'd be a 8/10/1/1.5 on a team that plays him 25mpg.

The appeal here is that the Nets pace is ridiculously ballooning EVERYBODY's stats on the roster.  This means a 10 rebounds game elsewhere, could be 12-15 for Allen.  His 6-8 points could end up 10-12 with put backs, and the occasional short shot.  

I'd keep an eye on him whether you need a big man, or not because if he gets the confidence of the coach, and gets a starting spot or 28mpg plus, he's going to produce...no if, and's, or but's.  Take a look at RHJ, Carroll, Dinwiddie, and even Harris.  They're are plenty of points, assists, and rebounds to go around.  This is the same reason I've got my eye on Levert, and also scooped Dinwiddie right when D Lo went down and it's paid off big time.

Lastly, Mozgov is not the future.  The Nets are going to try to compete, but more importantly, they want to give the fans, and organization hope.  They aren't focused as much on winning as they are on selling everyone that their young talent will be successful in the near future.  I think it's easy to see that they have the talent to develop into a playoff team in a couple years....especially in the weak East.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

getting minutes next to Mozgov.  interesting

It's sad actually... not interesting... ; (

Edited by Stefan

Kenny Atkinson said  the 19-year-old Allen can only play "15, 20 [minutes] max" >>> he played 24 min.

Kenny Atkinson said Jarrett Allen's minutes will go up >>> he played 10 min.

:angry:

• Like 1

Just now, beastmaster said:

Kenny Atkinson said  the 19-year-old Allen can only play "15, 20 [minutes] max" >>> he played 24 min.

Kenny Atkinson said Jarrett Allen's minutes will go up >>> he played 10 min.

:angry:

"...will go up IF he plays well".  He's not doing nay thing out there

22 hours ago, Kaboom said:

He's averaging almost one steal and one block in only 15 minutes per game. He's young, talented, and about to become the starting center on one of the most fantasy-friendly teams in the league. His mins should increase to the mid-to-high 20's and what will those stocks look like then? Throw in 10-12 points and 8 boards on 50%+ shooting as a bonus.  

And we got all of that for free from the waiver wire. 

So . . . what's not to get?

Call me when he surpasses the players he's being dropped for (Ryan Anderson, Wes Johnson, Valentine, Portis, etc.). When he does, let me know how many people who stashed Jarrett for his potential stats are still in the playoffs.

• Like 1

It's topics like Allen that make me realize that there should be 2 forums , 1 for redraft owners who wanna complain about a rookie being inconsistent. and 1 for dynasty owners who can't wait to see their future stud grow in spite of the up and downs that accompany being a rookie. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

"...will go up IF he plays well".  He's not doing nay thing out there

shame on Allen then. what was atkinson's definition of him playing well? double double in 10 min against gasol?

1 minute ago, MynameisMudd said:

It's topics like Allen that make me realize that there should be 2 forums , 1 for redraft owners who wanna complain about a rookie being inconsistent. and 1 for dynasty owners who can't wait to see their future stud grow in spite of the up and downs that accompany being a rookie. 

a lot of people here picked up on the premise that he was about to start and would net minutes in the high 20's

Dynasty owners shouldn't even be in here as they should have been discussing him during the draft or in the future when he's a ready contributor. Whereas this topic was only created when people thought he'd be owning it for the rest of the season, meaning they're vying for immediate returns.

Just now, LuN said:

a lot of people here picked up on the premise that he was about to start and would net minutes in the high 20's

Dynasty owners shouldn't even be in here as they should have been discussing him during the draft or in the future when he's a ready contributor. Whereas this topic was only created when people thought he'd be owning it for the rest of the season, meaning they're vying for immediate returns.

All I'm saying is that you get a lot of people who talk about his upside but yet many players don't reach their upside for a while.  Now, I believe Allen will definitely show his upside sooner than later, but people want instant gratification.  Too many people on here are impatient.  No one said Allen would start even when Mozzy was relegated. rookies like Allen need time to adjust to their surroundings , he wasn't a lottery pick,  he wasn't some ultra sought after prospect, but he happened to land in a great spot for him.  But we wanna write him off when his minutes and production are inconsistent.   That's not how it works 99% of the time.   I'll stand by my statements that Allen will have one of those games here in the next month or so that will demonstrate his potential.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LuN said:

Call me when he surpasses the players he's being dropped for (Ryan Anderson, Wes Johnson, Valentine, Portis, etc.). When he does, let me know how many people who stashed Jarrett for his potential stats are still in the playoffs.

There are no playoffs in roto, but I'll let you know when he's playing well enough to not keep him on my bench.   

His stats should be more useful in 2018 than they are right now. Stay tuned. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MynameisMudd said:

All I'm saying is that you get a lot of people who talk about his upside but yet many players don't reach their upside for a while.  Now, I believe Allen will definitely show his upside sooner than later, but people want instant gratification.  Too many people on here are impatient.  No one said Allen would start even when Mozzy was relegated. rookies like Allen need time to adjust to their surroundings , he wasn't a lottery pick,  he wasn't some ultra sought after prospect, but he happened to land in a great spot for him.  But we wanna write him off when his minutes and production are inconsistent.   That's not how it works 99% of the time.   I'll stand by my statements that Allen will have one of those games here in the next month or so that will demonstrate his potential.  

Well in re-draft, showing upside for one game isn't enough. So I don't know why anyone would pick him up there.

In dynasty, sure, he may have upside..but how soon is it when he'll be a consistent fantasy contributor? Next year? two years? 3 years? It's hard to decipher his role in the future. Could he end up like John Henson/LeVert? or completely bust or completely dominate? Not to mention, why would you comment on his abilities now if he's a future investment anyways. It's just a "coincidence" that as a dynasty owner you're realizing his upside when this topic was raised due to him being a potential pick-up in re-draft leagues?

5 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

There are no playoffs in roto, but I'll let you know when he's playing well enough to not keep him on my bench.   

His stats should be more useful in 2018 than they are right now. Stay tuned. 

So now you're changing tunes.

My initial statement was that I didn't get the hype, which was people dropping rosterable players for him (even players that you should keep in dynasty leagues). Your response was directed towards re-draft leagues (about to start, receive minutes in high 20's, getting him for free from WW). For majority of the people here, it's daily leagues and/or H2H, so you should have responded based on that and what people were writing in the topic as that's obviously the only thing I could have been referring to in my initial post. Now you're saying that you won't play him in roto (weekly or game limit league?) and that he'll be useful in 2018. Looks like you're the one who's having trouble staying tuned.

7 minutes ago, LuN said:

Well in re-draft, showing upside for one game isn't enough. So I don't know why anyone would pick him up there.

In dynasty, sure, he may have upside..but how soon is it when he'll be a consistent fantasy contributor? Next year? two years? 3 years? It's hard to decipher his role in the future. Could he end up like John Henson/LeVert? or completely bust or completely dominate? Not to mention, why would you comment on his abilities now if he's a future investment anyways. It's just a "coincidence" that as a dynasty owner you're realizing his upside when this topic was raised due to him being a potential pick-up in re-draft leagues?

It's hard to be a bust when your'e drafted pick 22.  What are you really expecting anyway?   You could apply what you said to anyone ever drafted.  And I DO believe he could be a pick up for a redraft league , hell I just said like 3 times that I feel he'll show his upside sooner rather than later.  I'm not coming on here to arbitrarily bring obsolete arguments to the table.  I don't know what kind of league you're playing  but if you're in a redraft,  have room, need big man stats at the end of your bench and feel the desire to invest in a young guy with upside ......then why not?   wading through the ebbs and flows of the beginning of a rookie season come with the territory , so why complain when he has a down game?  Don't like it?  drop him, let someone else take a chance on him.   

Edited by MynameisMudd
  • Like 1