dfstout

Jarrett Allen 2017-18 Season Outlook

36 minutes ago, LuN said:

a lot of people here picked up on the premise that he was about to start and would net minutes in the high 20's

Dynasty owners shouldn't even be in here as they should have been discussing him during the draft or in the future when he's a ready contributor. Whereas this topic was only created when people thought he'd be owning it for the rest of the season, meaning they're vying for immediate returns.

Yea considering that a few guys here were dropping guys like valentine for him, me thinks the expectations were that he can produce a little now. Now I wasnt drinking THAT much kool-aid, no way was i dropping Denzel for him. i did however drop frazier for him this morning. But thats no biggie, and if I really want frazier back hes still there for the taking

3 minutes ago, MynameisMudd said:

It's hard to be a bust when your'e drafted pick 22.  What are you really expecting anyway?   You could apply what you said to anyone ever drafted.  And I DO believe he could be a pick up for a redraft league , hell I just said like 3 times that I feel he'll show his upside sooner rather than later.  I'm not coming on here to arbitrarily bring obsolete arguments to the table.  I don't know what kind of league you're playing  but if you're in a redraft,  have room, need big man stats at the end of your bench and feel the desire to invest in a young guy with upside ......then why not?   wading through the ebbs and flows of the beginning rookie season come with the territory , so why complain when he has a down game?  Don't like it?  drop him, let someone else take a chance on him.   

We're talking fantasy here, not real life. "Bust" means receiving a lot of hype, everyone picking him up, and he ends up unrosterable. Not to mention, I used it to question what his possible future value would be.

When you said showing upside, I thought you meant showing upside for one game..then go back to producing low-end/inconsistent stats. For re-draft, we need to talk about averages here..so if you mean showing upside in that he'll AVERAGE 10/8/2.5+ stocks, then that's a different story. But for me, I say he has to prove it with at least one game for a speculative pick up if you have a stream spot. In order to drop players for him who have top 100 or even top 120 value (as people have done), it's going to take more than one game and some pretty good production.

The hype has gotten a LOT of people to pick-up preemptively, which I don't think would have happened if this topic wasn't raised. I'm just questioning the strategy behind picking him up now. For instance, if we're comparing him to Wesley Johnson, his future projection may trend down, especially with Gallo coming back. But there's also a chance he keeps his minutes around 30 and his game has matured to where he can be a consistent top 100 contributor. We have to weigh that against Jarrett being young, completely unproven in extended minutes, timeshare with vets, inconsistent play due to being a rookie, possible foul trouble, less immediate returns compared to Wes, and the coach not having the same mindset as fantasy players.

Also, your initial post was talking about dividing this topic into dynasty vs redraft. I just think the recent buzz is more applicable to redraft leagues (see above two paragraphs in this post), which is a different argument than dynasty leagues. I also wasn't complaining as I didn't pick him up, my original thoughts and my exchange with Kaboom were that I just didn't get the hype he was receiving.

1 minute ago, LuN said:

We're talking fantasy here, not real life. "Bust" means receiving a lot of hype, everyone picking him up, and he ends up unrosterable. Not to mention, I used it to question what his possible future value would be.

When you said showing upside, I thought you meant showing upside for one game..then go back to producing low-end/inconsistent stats. For re-draft, we need to talk about averages here..so if you mean showing upside in that he'll AVERAGE 10/8/2.5+ stocks, then that's a different story. But for me, I say he has to prove it with at least one game for a speculative pick up if you have a stream spot. In order to drop players for him who have top 100 or even top 120 value (as people have done), it's going to take more than one game and some pretty good production.

The hype has gotten a LOT of people to pick-up preemptively, which I don't think would have happened if this topic wasn't raised. I'm just questioning the strategy behind picking him up now. For instance, if we're comparing him to Wesley Johnson, his future projection may trend down, especially with Gallo coming back. But there's also a chance he keeps his minutes around 30 and his game has matured to where he can be a consistent top 100 contributor. We have to weigh that against Jarrett being young, completely unproven in extended minutes, timeshare with vets, inconsistent play due to being a rookie, possible foul trouble, less immediate returns compared to Wes, and the coach not having the same mindset as fantasy players.

Also, your initial post was talking about dividing this topic into dynasty vs redraft. I just think the recent buzz is more applicable to redraft leagues (see above two paragraphs in this post), which is a different argument than dynasty leagues. I also wasn't complaining as I didn't pick him up, my original thoughts and my exchange with Kaboom were that I just didn't get the hype he was receiving.

Bust is subjective then.  I respect that you can define it however you want. 

Also I've never advocated for people to drop useful players that might help out in the immediate. Allen has always been a stash and shouldn't have been looked at as otherwise. My suggestions have always been geared toward just don't be surprised when Allen breaks out and sticks in a heavy rotation at some point this year. If that means you wanna pick him up now to stash, thats great . If you wanna leave him on the WW and hope he's still there or let someone else stash.....that's great.  Just don't complain if you stash him and he's inconsistent , and don't complain if you leave him on the WW and when he breaks out, you missed the boat.  Just don't complain in general. (<----not towards you, but people in general) 

The reason I made that suggestion was more comedic and satirical in nature.  I see the weird battles people get into because one person is talking dynasty without really mentioning it and others are talking redraft without mentioning it and so arguments ensure because no one is on the same page.  

On 11/25/2017 at 8:34 AM, Minnesota_Jack said:

Could still be a while until he's consistent being a rookie and all. He's still earning minutes. But I'm all aboard happy to have him on my bench for a while. Just be sure not to drop him if he has a dud on Sunday. Because there will be the inevitable zero patience trolls rushing in here to proclaim he's garbage and the always classic "Drop City!". 

Just be patient. 

200w.gif

• Like 1

Hold if you can.

Ive got him in dynasty so it was an easier decision for me. However, I owned Myles Turner as a rookie and dropped him...right around this time of year. Why? Injured a few games came back, low minutes, low production. Then just like that breakout game, he's gone and not a chance I got him back.

I say that because the situation was similar. Turner flashed upside had a clear path to minutes and by the end of the season was dominant. 

With Allen the upside is obvious, the minutes will be there eventually and he's a great low risk/high reward candidate.

• Thanks 1

I don't think Myles Turner is a good comparison. Turner shot 84% FT at college along with 4.7 blocks per 40mins. Allen shot 56% FT and 1.9 blocks per 40mins. I highlight those stats as it sort of shows that Allen isn't exactly a big time shot blocker, and his FT is in punt territory. Turner had that big upside that I just don't think Allen has. Even if he's a lock for 25 minutes a night (Atkinson doesn't even play his best players >30mins), I still think he's just a fringe player at best for punt FT teams. 

• Like 1

ugh life... what a stinker Sunday...not Allen's fault, but Kenny, c'mon man!

Edited by dfstout
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dfstout said:

ugh life... what a stinker Sunday...not Allen's fault, but Kenny, c'mon man!

I think Allen is more of a "pick up and see" player than a "put him into your roster" player.

The best game of his career was a 9/8 game where he shot 3 of 10, so I think it's best to tempter expectations for now.

• Like 2

This is all I have to say after taking one look at Nets depth chart at PF/C position 

57994303.jpg

Mozgov is 31, Zeller 27, Booker 30, Acy 27.  

Currently (unless there is a trade) RHJ and Allen are future at PF and C.

Championships are won in November  with smart WW pickups. Allen has a good chance to be that 10 pts/ 10 reb guy  after All Star

Edited by Gile Pile

14 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

This is all I have to say after taking one look at Nets depth chart at PF/C position 

57994303.jpg

Championships are won in November  with smart WW pickups. Allen has a good chance to be that 10 pts/ 10 reb guy  after All Star

not this year.

17 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

57994303.jpg

Zeller and Acy - 27. that is the problem. Maybe in March, he'll be playing. I don't think anyone is stashing him till March when there are many more options out there to stream, imo.

22 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

57994303.jpg

November is not yet playoffs time...

Its tough to stash this guy in a daily league that is smaller than 14 person.

Weekly league sure, but in a daily there are much better options to play to keep your head afloat.

Stashing this guy isn't like stashing Kawhi, Isaiah Thomas, Conley, Lavine etc...  you don't even know how good this guy is going to turn out if he gets min.

Everything is speculation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slickthenick said:

My man!

Not going to be consistent whatsoever, but THIS is why you hold.

Meh. It was against a Hawks outfit without a front court. Can't read too much into this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From tonight's roto blurb (LOL, in "all formats"?  Suuuure)

He didn't rebound the ball, but his shot blocking and dunking were spectacular and he probably gained a lot of confidence in this one. The Nets won't have a garbage-time situation every night, but it's time to think about grabbing Allen in all formats.

this guy is a tantalizing prospect no doubt. but his game has way too many holes right now.

he's a rather poor rebounder for a big. and offensively he's very limited. his makes are highly dependent on his teammates setting him up for easy buckets. won';t happen all the time.

and he may be a terrific shotblocker, but he's also on and off in that area.

all things considered, he's a very tough play right now. maybe best to just stash for a while if you really wanna pick him up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, summersoff7 said:

From tonight's roto blurb (LOL, in "all formats"?  Suuuure)

He didn't rebound the ball, but his shot blocking and dunking were spectacular and he probably gained a lot of confidence in this one. The Nets won't have a garbage-time situation every night, but it's time to think about grabbing Allen in all formats.

Eh they all primarily play in 10 teamers so yes this is whacked.  Obviously he's certainly worth rostering in 12 and up.  14 and up should have been rostered already.  Obviously the 10 teamers are watchlist/wait and see approach as with almost all players in 10 teamers.  How these guys are still making moves in 10 teamers this far into the season is beyond comprehension to me.  10 teamers is all about drafting properly and streameing last 2 spots. These guys make no sense most often.

if he ever starts or gets 25+ mins a game, he will be good for fg% and blocks. like a young larry sanders

19 hours ago, brosephd said:

if he ever starts or gets 25+ mins a game, he will be good for fg% and blocks. like a young larry sanders

methinks a better comparison would be a young tony battie.

even as a rook, battie's contributions on the court could never be fairly gauged by numbers alone. allen is in the same boat. he does block shots, but alters other shots even more. he doesn't get faked off too often, and chooses his block opportunities wisely. he's an intelligent defender for his age. and that doesn't show up on the scoreboard.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Boogie Buckets said:

His past two games make it hard not to be interested even if it is against a nonexistent ATL frontcourt.

I just cut a very boring jayMichel green for him. Hopefully they turn him loose soon.