Jyeatbvg

Miguel Cabrera 2018 Outlook

Eligible to come off DL tomorrow.  Any updates if he will be ready to go?

From the Detroit News on Thursday:

So, when might Cabrera get back into the lineup?

He is eligible to come off the DL on Monday and he told MLB.com that he thought if he wrapped the leg up tightly he could’ve played in the Rangers series. But activating him on Monday seems optimistic.

“There is a chance of anything,” Gardenhire said. “We have to see him get on the field. He hasn’t done a whole lot. He’s taken treatment every day. He still has to go through some kind of running program and the whole package.”

Cabrera, 35, who did some light jogging on the field in Texas Monday, joked with Gardenhire about sending him to Toledo for a rehab assignment. That’s not likely.

“He’s getting anxious, I can tell you that,” Gardenhire said. “But we have to be careful. I had a history of hamstrings and just when you think that you can do everything and run, something happens.

“Adrenaline is a difference-maker. When you run under controlled conditions, everything is fine. When the adrenaline hits you – you hit a ball and take off and that explosion hits – that’s when your hammy will tell you if you’re ready or not.”

For a frame of reference, the Rangers’ 39-year-old Adrian Beltre came off the disabled list Tuesday against the Tigers. He was also out with a hamstring strain. He missed 15 days.

“Miggy’s been grinding at it pretty good since Kansas City,” Gardenhire said. “The off-day (Thursday) gives him a chance to take a break, come back this weekend and let’s see where he’s at.”

Have been trying to find an update since Thursday.  From Detroit Free Press:

“They’ve got him on some kind of machine,” Gardenhire said of Cabrera's Friday activity. “They’re going to run him on a little bit or walk him on. They’re doing all the rubdowns. Now we just go day to day.”

I'm not optimistic he will be activated tomorrow, though if all goes well it seems he should be back later in the week.

5 hours ago, rrrrich46 said:

Any update on timing to be activated?

See mine above.  I think we are looking at a date later this week.  No update from the team today leaves it open to speculation as to 'when'.

12 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

RW blurb referenced somewhat of a setback. Any local updates?

It just sounds like his body is generally breaking down, which is sad.  He still has those elite skills you’ll see flash on his good days but I think this is on and off pain is what you’ll see as he winds down and Father Time keeps his undefeated streak alive 

2 hours ago, merlin401 said:

It just sounds like his body is generally breaking down, which is sad.  He still has those elite skills you’ll see flash on his good days but I think this is on and off pain is what you’ll see as he winds down and Father Time keeps his undefeated streak alive 

Said it before but I'll repeat it.   

Detroit is on the hook for another FIVE years at 30m+ per season.

He should never play the field again. 

• Like 1

Don't expect him back too soon...

link

Feeling unappreciated, Tigers' Miguel Cabrera says 'I'm done playing hurt'
Updated 6:12 PM; Posted 5:41 PM

By Evan Woodbery ewoodber@mlive.com
DETROIT -- Miguel Cabrera won't be back on the field until he's completely ready.

In a brief interview Tuesday that ranged from jocular to intense, the Detroit Tigers slugger said he didn't get any credit for playing hurt in 2017 and he has no plans to rush back in 2018. 

"I went through that last year, so I don't want to do the same thing," he said. "Nobody appreciates you when you play hurt, so I'm going to take my time and play when I'm good. I played hurt a lot years here in Detroit. They don't appreciate that. When you are doing bad, they crush you. They crush you. They say you're bad, you should go home, you don't deserve anything, you're old. I say, 'OK, I'm done playing hurt.' Now I take my time."

Cabrera was eligible to come off the disabled list on Monday, but he has not yet resumed on-field activities after briefly jogging last week before a game in Texas.

Cabrera's went on the disabled list with a hamstring injury on May 4, but the aggressive rehab of that ailment has caused a flare-up in his back.

"When you are tight here," said Cabrera, gesturing to the hamstring, "your back is tight. It's all the same thing."

Cabrera dealt with two herniated discs in his back in 2017, part an injury-filled season that was the worst of his career. 

But Cabrera was off to a hot start in 2018. Before going on the disabled list, he was hitting .323/.407/.516 in 93 at-bats with three homers, nine doubles and 21 RBIs.

That’s the type of attitude that makes you want to rage drop.  Bad team, bad attitude, bad situation.  Going to be a long year.  Almost worth making him someone else’s problem.  

To be honest, while not pleased with the negativity from Cabrera in this interview, I'm actually happy to hear this from a fantasy standpoint.  I don't want him coming back unless he feels 100% healthy.  You can see what he can do when healthy and I'd rather him take an extra week or 10 days then come back only to go down again, or come back and start hitting like he did last year (when hurt).

I get it.  He gets thoroughly trashed around here for all the roster mistakes they have made in years past.  Det fans are a surly bunch lately

14 hours ago, RenegadeGM said:

Don't expect him back too soon...

link

At his age and the way he's breaking down, he may never play again if that's his perspective.

The press is spinning it as a negative thing but Miggy is exactly right. As he gets older he should save his health for his plate appearances. Stop trying to play through injury, and don't over-exert himself on defense or when running bases. (Certainly no diving). The Tigers really should just have him at DH but they are still trying to milk any production they can get from Vmart, at least for another couple months. Best case scenario for everyone is what Big Papi did over his last couple years. If Miggy only plays 4-5 games per week then fine as long as they are quality games. There isn't any reason for people's feelings to be hurt about it. 

so miggy's pissed off because when he plays badly (hurt), the fans aren't appreciative of him? 

he was signed as a franchise, cornerstone player and didn't play like one. i'm not familiar with detroit's financial situation, but i'm going to assume the team is now handicapped because of his contract. of course the fans aren't going to be happy when their main guy can't produce and/or stay healthy. his WAR last season was -0.2. Negative! he wasn't even good enough to be labeled as an average player last season.

i'm glad he's decided to get healthy and hopefully produce better when on the field, but IMO he shouldn't be upset because the fans expect him to hold up his end of a very high-paying contract.

I own him.  It's frustrating.  He's old and he looks fat and out of shape.  Still, don't rush him back.  Wait till he is 100%.  This guy comes back too early and it's another month on the shelf.   I'd rather wait and extra week and have him fully healthy.

BTW, one of the worst contracts ever.  Dave Dombrowski has signed some real doozies.  Don't these owners realize how bad some of these deals are?  I mean, the owners of these teams tend to be successful billionaire businessmen.  When peons like me saw this extension and said "What the $%@! are they thinking?!?", you'd have to think a semi competent billioniare would too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I own him.  It's frustrating.  He's old and he looks fat and out of shape.  Still, don't rush him back.  Wait till he is 100%.  This guy comes back too early and it's another month on the shelf.   I'd rather wait and extra week and have him fully healthy.

BTW, one of the worst contracts ever.  Dave Dombrowski has signed some real doozies.  Don't these owners realize how bad some of these deals are?  I mean, the owners of these teams tend to be successful billionaire businessmen.  When peons like me saw this extension and said "What the $%@! are they thinking?!?", you'd have to think a semi competent billioniare would too. 

Not to pick on you,  but stuff like this is why he's so mad.  

People forget,  this team can't be measured by standard moneyball style metrics.  The more than semi competent billionaire that made these deals because he was on deaths door and simply wanted to see a title before he went.  

What's miggy supposed to do,  not take the deal? He gave everything to this team,  including playing 3b when it was obv he shouldn't be (and did better than expected) because they needed him to. And for all of it he gets called fat and lazy for trying to be old school and play while hurt.  He's no angel or anything,  but i can see why he's not happy. 

• Like 2

On the heels of that 5-RBI night in Baltimore, an indeterminate amount of Saturdays ago, I was ever so close to picking up the phone and gloat-texting my Tigers-fan friend about what a steal MIggy was in the draft. This prevailing litany of injuries began an at bat or so after. Now it seems he'll never emerge from this blackhole. 

Edited by IceGoat