Sign in to follow this  
BurgundyBooger

"Start your Studs": Has it worked for you this year?

Got to say, I've lived and died by that philosophy over the years but 2017 has really tested my loyalty to my star players. Julio Jones, Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fornette (after his ankle issue) have individually cost me games - not just points, GAMES - this season when their backups have outperformed them due to more favorable matchups. Have they WON me games? Surprisingly, no. In my case, I could have won in each of those weeks they blew up regardless with my bench players.

Who else has been burned this year by their studs and do you see your philosophy changing after this season?

Edited by BurgundyBooger

The way I have my bench stashed there may have been 2 weeks where I wouldn’t have started a player I wouldn’t already have. Yet, my rbs would probably be the same regardless. 

Last week could have lost by benching rivers but Julio blew up and won anyways. 

Now, if I hadn’t made about 4 trades I probably wouldn’t make the playoffs. 

Works great. Isn't that the reason we draft these studs in the first place??

11 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Got to say, I've lived and died by that philosophy over the years but 2017 has really tested my loyalty to my star players. Julio Jones, Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fornette (after his ankle issue) have individually cost me games - not just points, GAMES - this season when their backups have outperformed them due to more favorable matchups. Have they WON me games? Surprisingly, no. In my case, I could have won in each of those weeks they blew up regardless with my bench players.

Who else has been burned this year by their studs and do you see your philosophy changing after this season?

Yes. I do this every year and it has worked out much better this season than usual. The only difference is that I've been less loyal to guys that started the season ranked highly, and more apt to jump at shiny new toys (within reason). For example, cutting AP Week 1, and grabbing Devin Funchess when in past years I wouldn't. Treating a guy like Funchess as a stud early on and being willing to sit Abdullah in September after drafting him in the Top 60, and Demaryius Thomas when Brock wasn't playing, has worked out very well. 

I don't know if any rookie can genuinely be considered a stud, unless they haven't had a bad game the entire season.  Julio Jones has been pretty rough for people until last week.  I started benching Keenan Allen just in time to miss his first blow up game.

How many healthy studs are left this year, excluding rookies?

RB:

Bell

McCoy

Gurley

WR:

AB

Jones

AJG

Nuk

Allen may have worked his way back in

Evans?

My personal definition of a "stud" is someone you start no matter who they are facing, no matter how banged up their offensive line/QB situation is, and in many cases regardless of any injuries they might have.  There really aren't too many.  I think last year and maybe in years past I'd list 10 RBs and 12 WRs.

52 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

NOPE...

Dez and Diggs have sh!t all over my face all season....F them!

9 minutes ago, oban14 said:

I don't know if any rookie can genuinely be considered a stud, unless they haven't had a bad game the entire season.  Julio Jones has been pretty rough for people until last week.  I started benching Keenan Allen just in time to miss his first blow up game.

How many healthy studs are left this year, excluding rookies?

RB:

Bell

McCoy

Gurley

WR:

AB

Jones

AJG

Nuk

Allen may have worked his way back in

Evans?

My personal definition of a "stud" is someone you start no matter who they are facing, no matter how banged up their offensive line/QB situation is, and in many cases regardless of any injuries they might have.  There really aren't too many.  I think last year and maybe in years past I'd list 10 RBs and 12 WRs.

Add Gordon to the RB list and Cooks and Michael Thomas to those WRs for sure.

38 minutes ago, oban14 said:

I agree with that definition, but why are you listing a total of 9 Flex guys this year? There's plenty more guys that I would start regardless of their matchup at those spots. Probably about 15 at RB, 15 or more at WR.

RB

Bell

Ingram

Shady

Fournette

Gordon

Kamara

Gurley

Howard

Hunt

Hyde

Miller

McCaffrey

Devonta

WR (I play 3 WR + Flex)

Brown

Julio

Green

Hopkins

Cooks

Evans

Thomas

Keenan

Baldwin

Alshon

Thielen

Diggs

Adams

Marvin

Landry

Funchess

Tate

I mean, really, if you're sitting any of those guys because you're scared off by a matchup, for a replacement-level fantasy player, you're doing it wrong imo.

Nope. nope Nope Nope.

Evans

Tate

Gordon

Hyde

Engram

----------------

Big mixture of terrible floor to middling ceiling lately.

Only player delivering for me week to week is Hopkins.

Wentz has been the most consistent "stud" for me

Edit - Greg Z as well

Edited by Pooskay

2 hours ago, Eagle Boy said:

Greg the Leg is the biggest stud in the game, and he’s only cost me once.

He's a 3rd rounder next year for sure in re-draft leagues...ultimate stud..

There is nothing that would make me happier than to see my opponent benching Julio Jones for Kenny Stills in the playoffs because of a better matchup. This isn't DFS where you are looking for value each week. 

Look at Hopkins last week. He has an awful QB and playing against the Ravens secondary that was double teaming him all game and Hopkins still ended up with 10-125 line and that line could have been even better if not for a couple of PI's. 

It's true that we have to start our studs every week.  But defining who is a stud and who is not is the trick. 

For me it has been Ertz, Brees, Ingram, Young GZ.

Demarco f&*($ Murray.

Look at his game log and see if you can guess which two weeks I benched him.

Never Bench Your Duds.

Game Log
Game Rushing Receiving Fumb. KO Ret Punt Ret
Week Date Opp Rush Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Lost Yds TD Yds TD
1 Sep 10 OAK 12 44 3.7 0 2 16 8.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Sep 17 @JAC 9 25 2.8 0 1 3 3.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 Sep 24 SEA 14 115 8.2 1 1 5 5.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Oct 1 @HOU 7 31 4.4 0 2 4 2.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 Oct 8 @MIA 14 58 4.1 0 4 11 2.8 0 1 0 0 0 0
6 Oct 16 IND 12 40 3.3 1 4 47 11.8 0 0 0 0 0 0
7 Oct 22 @CLE 18 59 3.3 0 3 17 5.7 0 0 0 0 0 0
9 Nov 5 BAL 9 19 2.1 0 2 22 11.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10 Nov 12 CIN 14 42 3.0 2 4 30 7.5 1 0 0 0 0 0
11 Nov 16 @PIT 8 10 1.3 0 5 37 7.4 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Nov 26 @IND 12 9 .8 1 3 33 11.0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Edited by FreakFries

40 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

There is nothing that would make me happier than to see my opponent benching Julio Jones for Kenny Stills in the playoffs because of a better matchup. This isn't DFS where you are looking for value each week. 

Look at Hopkins last week. He has an awful QB and playing against the Ravens secondary that was double teaming him all game and Hopkins still ended up with 10-125 line and that line could have been even better if not for a couple of PI's. 

But look at Hopkins last year with a  more terrible quarterback. nothing is guaranteed.