Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

Wonder if the Astros win the series does Roberts get fired ala Ferrell and Girardi? SSS but it is hitting at a 100% this postseason.

1 hour ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Lord no please no

Whats interesting is that there could be some similarities between he and Joe Torre, kind of the veteran stabilizing manager.  I never thought of Joe as a great tactician of the game.  Joe to that point had managed 3 teams and never in the American League, similar to Dusty who has made 4 stops, all in the National League.  I would say of the two the more likely would be Joe G to the Nats vs Dusty to the Yanks. 

8 hours ago, parrothead said:

Whats interesting is that there could be some similarities between he and Joe Torre, kind of the veteran stabilizing manager.  I never thought of Joe as a great tactician of the game.  Joe to that point had managed 3 teams and never in the American League, similar to Dusty who has made 4 stops, all in the National League.  I would say of the two the more likely would be Joe G to the Nats vs Dusty to the Yanks. 

dusty wont be a yankees manager

im sad to see Joe go, i wanted him to continue to work with the youngsters.  thought he deserved another shot at a WS next year

Doesnt make sense.

The Yanks werent even expected to make the post season in 2017, comes 1 game away from the World Series and you dont extend the manager's (Joe) contract?

Baffling...

Too bad the Mets already got their manager. Wouldve been nice to have Joe as the Mets skipper and him sticking it to the Yanks every time they'll play.

10 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

im sad to see Joe go, i wanted him to continue to work with the youngsters.  thought he deserved another shot at a WS next year

I dont think he will either, I was simply pointing out that there is some similarities between he and Torre...

10 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

I think he did too, watching yesterday and I dont know how much they know because it was not NY market media, but the discussion was that the thought was that maybe he was not relating well with the younger players and that was kind of the issue.  

9 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

New York is losing its damn mind over Girardi's dismissal, let me tell you.

You mean the fans?  Talk radio?  Mainstream media?  All of the above?

Too bad they didn't fire him in time for the Red Sox to hire him, heh. 

Hey maybe that's the reason they waited until AFTER the Sox announced Alex Cora as their new manager.  To prevent the above.

On 10/27/2017 at 1:52 AM, Gryfter said:

Doesnt make sense.

The Yanks werent even expected to make the post season in 2017, comes 1 game away from the World Series and you dont extend the manager's (Joe) contract?

Baffling...

Too bad the Mets already got their manager. Wouldve been nice to have Joe as the Mets skipper and him sticking it to the Yanks every time they'll play.

Which leads me to believe that the decision to not bring him back was made prior to the playoffs. IMO managers don't really mean a whole lot- you will of course see managers costing their team a W from time to time but its uncommon and most of it is overblown. A lot is being made of  his personality or lack thereof and how he is a bit of a stiff. But to be honest I really think this is just entirely a $$ situation. Bottom line is the front office felt like Joe's value as a manager didn't meet or exceed the cost of retaining him. 

@BrendanKutyNJ

Cashman said Gleyber Torres could push for a starting spot as early as Opening Day, and that third base and second base are possibilities. Reminded that coaching staff thought Torres was ready last Opening Day.

This team is going to be fun. Judge Sanchez Bird Torres 

4 hours ago, mortl said:

@BrendanKutyNJ

Cashman said Gleyber Torres could push for a starting spot as early as Opening Day, and that third base and second base are possibilities. Reminded that coaching staff thought Torres was ready last Opening Day.

This team is going to be fun. Judge Sanchez Bird Torres 

Isn't Miguel Andujar a better fit for 3B? Probably the better player too once you cut through the overblown Torres hype stuff.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Isn't Miguel Andujar a better fit for 3B? Probably the better player too once you cut through the overblown Torres hype stuff.

He is not a better player than Torres IMO.

20 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

dont know where you are getting this from

andujar's glove is apparently well behind his bat right now

Hired Aaron Boone to manage. I guess Robin Ventura wasn't available?

No managerial experience. He could be fine, but given the teams expectations, he's facing a tall task.

11 minutes ago, S1mcity said:

Manager of the year. 

Hoboken IHOP