Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

2 minutes ago, absknicks said:

The Yankees have a far better bullpen than the Cubs. Nearly every objective observer would tell you as much.

The rotation is debatable, I'll even give a slight edge to the Cubs just for argument's sake... but the Cubs don't have a Severino.

And the Yankees lineup is far better. Again, pretty much every single neutral observer would tell you as much.

I know being a fan can really obscure reality sometimes, but that's a bit much, dude. Get a grip. 

Yanks, Sox and Astros have the 3 best complete teams in the league IMO. Cubs are good. Nothing has really changed (other than maybe the outlook of guys like Heyward, Almora, Russell) but rather the yankees, sox and Astros have just got a lot better in the last couple years with the talent they have developed and acquired. I said when the cubs won the World Series there were a couple more to come. Not saying there aren't anymore, but it just got a whole lot harder!

35 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

GREAT!!  THIRTY FOUR GAMES INTO THE SEASON!!!  Cubs are ice cold, Yankees are red hot.

The Cubs have a better bullpen than the Yankees

And I think by the end of the season, they'll have an infinitely better starting rotation

I also think the Cubs lineup is as good as the Yankees - time will tell on that one

yawGLFIRStSXPymJAFFl_tumblr_n37k4yeFjz1t

1 minute ago, DannyMcPot said:

Yanks are 15-1 since Gleyber arrival. Thanks Cubbies! ??

Kid is the real deal. Might be 2B long term (Didi there now and either he sticks or they bring in Manny) but looks to have all the tools of the Lindor/Correa/Seager/Bogaerts group. I use to put Russell there but you can't get in that group on DEF alone.

9 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

Kid is the real deal. Might be 2B long term (Didi there now and either he sticks or they bring in Manny) but looks to have all the tools of the Lindor/Correa/Seager/Bogaerts group. I use to put Russell there but you can't get in that group on DEF alone.

Kid's a stud with the clutch gene. He is going to be huge in NY. 

25 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

I don't see the point in spending all that money on Machado when there are young studs doing just fine.  Use the money on a top of the rotation type guy.  

Unpopular opinion but I think Stanton is moved in the off-season and they make a run at Harper.

39 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Yanks are 15-1 since Gleyber arrival. Thanks Cubbies! ??

Thank YOU for helping us solidify a championship - every single Cub fan in the world would do that trade 10x over.  The Cubs don't win a championship w/o Chapman, and the Cubs don't get Chapman w/o Torres in the deal.

Starting pitching, pen, small-ball, long-ball, the amount of weapons they have is absurd. Haven't been this excited for a Yankees team since the 90's.

6 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Thank YOU for helping us solidify a championship - every single Cub fan in the world would do that trade 10x over.  The Cubs don't win a championship w/o Chapman, and the Cubs don't get Chapman w/o Torres in the deal.

Hey if I didn't get to see a championship in 5,000 years I'd trade away Gleyber too. Now enjoy seeing him on the next dynasty ??

Cashman's most savage move to date.

Just now, DannyMcPot said:

Hey if I didn't get to see a championship in 5,000 years I'd trade away Gleyber too. Now enjoy seeing him on the next dynasty ??

The move wasn't remotely "savage" - Cashman got what Chapman should have gotten in return.  

Good God you Yankee fans... "dynasty". 

3 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Image result for brian cashman gif

4 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

The move wasn't remotely "savage" - Cashman got what Chapman should have gotten in return.  

Good God you Yankee fans... "dynasty". 

Cash has been savaging the Cubs left and right. Plucked a 20 year old stud SS for a few months of Chapman, then signed Chapman back.

Plucked Castro for Adam Warren, now Warren is back in the Yanks (far superior) bullpen. Thanks for helping us nail Stanton too ???

No thread for him -- so there's no where to discuss -- but I'm starting to become a fan of Ronald Torreyes.

He's a classic, throwback player. I reckon the perfect guy for an MLB team to carry on its bench, particularly since, at only 25, he seems OK with the bench role.

The analytics probably don't give him much credit -- and I'm an analytics guy -- yet all he's done is hit .289/.318/.382 in 560 plate appearance over about three years while playing good defense.

Torreyes is far from perfect but what he offers is unique--and probably underappreciated in today's game.

10 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Cash has been savaging the Cubs left and right. Plucked a 20 year old stud SS for a few months of Chapman, then signed Chapman back.

Plucked Castro for Adam Warren, now Warren is back in the Yanks (far superior) bullpen. Thanks for helping us nail Stanton too ???

Some of you Yankee fans need to lay off the Yankees Kool-Aide

- You have no clue if Torres is going to be a "stud" SS.  Zero. Ziltch.  He's had a very nice start to his professional career, no doubt.

- You do realize this happens every single mid-season, right?  Young/elite minor league talent traded to non-contending teams for a contending team to try to win a WS.  This isn't novel & it helped the Cubs win a championship - nothing "savage" about it.

- The Cubs didn't want Chapman back & never made an offer to him.  Unsure how that's "savage"

- The only reason Castro was included in that Stanton deal was for a salary dump.  & Warren was a steaming hot pile of garbage w/the Cubs

-And no... the Cubs have a better bullpen.  If you're a rational thinking fan, I know you know this.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

The Yankees are not worried about next year. 

I have to believe at this time the brass in charge are not even thinking about MM or Bryce .... 

They run a billion dollar business.  Yes they are thinking about next year.  Always.  

And anyway,  i was more thinking out loud than i was commenting on the mental state of the front office.  

This team is gnarly,  with a side of nasty. And it frees up a lot of cash this year.  Been rumored to spend a half billion in commitments that I'm questioning the need on.  I guess i find that more interesting than the bragging camp that erupted the last 2 pages

41 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

I don't see the point in spending all that money on Machado when there are young studs doing just fine.  Use the money on a top of the rotation type guy.  

Unpopular opinion but I think Stanton is moved in the off-season and they make a run at Harper.

Doesn't Stanton have a no trade clause?

14 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

And no... the Cubs have a better bullpen.  If you're a rational thinking fan, I know you know this.

Cant disagree with anything you say besides this really. The Cubs pen just isn’t close to the Yanks pen. Heck I’d take David Robertson and Chad Green over the Cubs current closer.  Yea I just don’t think it’s even worth debating. 

4 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Cant disagree with anything you say besides this really. The Cubs pen just isn’t close to the Yanks pen. Heck I’d take David Robertson and Chad Green over the Cubs current closer.  Yea I just don’t think it’s even worth debating. 

Strop, Morrow, Edwards,  Duensing, Cishek are right now as good as any five combos in baseball.  CJ Edwards, right now, is pitching better than anyone in the Yanks bullpen & maybe as good as any back-end reliever in baseball.

15 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Strop, Morrow, Edwards,  Duensing, Cishek are right now as good as any five combos in baseball.  CJ Edwards, right now, is pitching better than anyone in the Yanks bullpen & maybe as good as any back-end reliever in baseball.

Im not basing my opinion off 16 innings this year from Edwards. I’m basing it off what we saw last year as well. Edwards has been really good so far but not elite ever.  Yea in a month plus he’s been elite this year but I need at least one full year of what he’s doing right now to say I’d take him over any guy on either side and that’s stil even debatable because Chad Green did what Edwards is doing now for a full season last year. His numbers were just stupid. It’s no knock on Edwards, I just need a much bigger sample. Again I’d still take the Yanks top 3 over (Chapman, Green, Robertson) over any guy the Cubs throw out there. 

36 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Some of you Yankee fans need to lay off the Yankees Kool-Aide

- You have no clue if Torres is going to be a "stud" SS.  Zero. Ziltch.  He's had a very nice start to his professional career, no doubt.

-And no... the Cubs have a better bullpen.  If you're a rational thinking fan, I know you know this.

If you can't see that this kid is already very special, you need your eyes checked. Sour grapes perhaps? When the Yankees BP is going right, they are head and shoulders above any BP in baseball. Drinking too much Cubs kool-aid perhaps? Salty enough to keep visiting the Yankees team thread perhaps? ?

• At 21 years and 142 days old, Gleyber is the youngest Yankee with a home run since catcher John Ellis hit an inside-the-parker on May 17, 1969, and the youngest to hit a homer over the fence since Bobby Murcer on September 14, 1965.
  • Youngest Yankee second baseman to go deep in any game.
  • Youngest Yankee to hit a three-run homer (or grand slam) since Mickey Mantle in 1952.
  • Youngest player in franchise history with at least three RBI in back-to-back games.

38 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

They run a billion dollar business.  Yes they are thinking about next year.  Always.  

And anyway,  i was more thinking out loud than i was commenting on the mental state of the front office.  

This team is gnarly,  with a side of nasty. And it frees up a lot of cash this year.  Been rumored to spend a half billion in commitments that I'm questioning the need on.  I guess i find that more interesting than the bragging camp that erupted the last 2 pages

In the past few years, Hal has slowly lulled the fanbase into complacency with a lower payroll. It is absolutely ownership's intention to win with a payroll a good deal south of $200MM, and the success of this team only makes it less likely that a Machado or Harper will end up in New York.

1 hour ago, DannyMcPot said:

Haha ROASTED!!  #gleyberday #gleyberofthemonth #gleyberoftheyear #glryberofthedecade #gleybergoooood

6 minutes ago, justinkrezzy said:

In the past few years, Hal has slowly lulled the fanbase into complacency with a lower payroll. It is absolutely ownership's intention to win with a payroll a good deal south of $200MM, and the success of this team only makes it less likely that a Machado or Harper will end up in New York.

I don't think this is true at all. I think it's more about resetting the lux tax penalty so they don't have to spend 50% on every dollar for what could be the best FA class in recent history. 

"lulled the fanbase into complacency" lol Jesus 

2 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I think the Yankees bullpen is superior and I have no dog in this fight. 

38 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I think the Yankees bullpen is superior and I have no dog in this fight. 

It’s not even close