Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

Regarding the bullpen...

Saves, ERA, xFIP, K/9's, WHIPs and whatever rankings you throw out there...it's all fine and dandy but at the end of the day when evaluating the bullpen it all comes down to one thing: how it performs in October.

All those shiny ratios aren't going to matter a thing if the Yankees' -- or the Cubs' -- bullpen melts down when it matters.

The greatest thing about this current roster is you can really see (for the first team in a long while in Yankee land) that this team is set up really well for the long term. Even when they won back in 09 it was an older roster that was great but didn't have a long shelf life- that team really fell off after losing the ALCS vs tex in 2010. This team is just loaded with good young players and good talent in the minors as well. As always the key will be staying healthy over the course of 162 so we'll see how it plays out- but its awfully tough to not be excited about this team right now.

2 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

I don't think this is true at all. I think it's more about resetting the lux tax penalty so they don't have to spend 50% on every dollar for what could be the best FA class in recent history. 

"lulled the fanbase into complacency" lol Jesus 

I would not at all be surprised in the least if the 2018-2019 offseason comes and goes without the Yankees signing a single star free agent, when so many are available. Hal has said, publicly and often ,“Logic dictates that you don’t have to [spend $200 million] to have a championship-caliber team."

I think that ownership has used the "resetting the lux tax" line as a way to assuage the fans' concerns about initially operating with a lower payroll, with the intention of remaining at this current level moving forward. If you're ownership, you can't just come out and say, "Yep-- we won't spend this much money again"-- there would be riots. Wouldn't it be better to ease everyone into it, convince them that they're saving to spend later, and then backtrack once they've had a good season?

Just watch.

8 minutes ago, justinkrezzy said:

Just watch.

I'd be shocked personally if they aren't in on somebody with a FA class including Harper, Pat Corbin, and Andrew Miller. I think if the Yankees feel it is worth it, they will outspend anyone. Resetting the payroll is huge and so far they've done an outstanding job. If you wanna see true lulling, check in on the organization in Queens lol 

24 minutes ago, justinkrezzy said:

I would not at all be surprised in the least if the 2018-2019 offseason comes and goes without the Yankees signing a single star free agent, when so many are available. Hal has said, publicly and often ,“Logic dictates that you don’t have to [spend $200 million] to have a championship-caliber team."

I think that ownership has used the "resetting the lux tax" line as a way to assuage the fans' concerns about initially operating with a lower payroll, with the intention of remaining at this current level moving forward. If you're ownership, you can't just come out and say, "Yep-- we won't spend this much money again"-- there would be riots. Wouldn't it be better to ease everyone into it, convince them that they're saving to spend later, and then backtrack once they've had a good season?

Just watch.

I would be shocked. You realize we’re talking about The NY Yankees right?... You are wayyy off lol..... JUST WATCH

40 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

I'd be shocked personally if they aren't in on somebody with a FA class including Harper, Pat Corbin, and Andrew Miller. I think if the Yankees feel it is worth it, they will outspend anyone. Resetting the payroll is huge and so far they've done an outstanding job. If you wanna see true lulling, check in on the organization in Queens lol 

No idea who the other FA SPs are other than Corbin but I expect them to go hard after a SP or two. 

4 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Doesn't Stanton have a no trade clause?

He does but would probably waive it to go the Dodgers or another choice team like he did this past off-season.  Maybe the Yanks pass on Harper but I guess only time will tell.  

Yankees are close to 197m for the opening day payroll. That 2.99m difference is what they have to work with if they want to reset the luxury tax for next year. I don't know how much/ long the contracts for Ellsbury, Gardner, and CC will affect that number but there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room.  No idea about raises to current players or if anyone is going through arbitration. 

But if it doesn't get reset I really doubt any high priced FA sign there. Give Harper, for example, 40m a year without the reset and that is close to 60m against the cap in the next year

5 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Yankees are close to 197m for the opening day payroll. That 2.99m difference is what they have to work with if they want to reset the luxury tax for next year. I don't know how much/ long the contracts for Ellsbury, Gardner, and CC will affect that number but there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room.  No idea about raises to current players or if anyone is going through arbitration. 

But if it doesn't get reset I really doubt any high priced FA sign there. Give Harper, for example, 40m a year without the reset and that is close to 60m against the cap in the next year

They have 21MM coming off the books from CC and Gardner and another 10MM from the likes of Neil Walker, Adam Warren, Adam Lind, and Shane Robinson. DRob is also a FA but I'm guessing they'd look to resign him. 

@Backdoor Slider had them dead and buried 2 weeks ago. Said the Red Sox were clearly the "class of the AL." So much for that. 

It's amazing how people who have been around here for years often seem like they're watching their first baseball season year after year. 

DIdi Gregorious owners be like "I should've sold high on him"....

5-for-39 over his last 10 games. From .368 BA to .291...just like that. 

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

@Backdoor Slider had them dead and buried 2 weeks ago. Said the Red Sox were clearly the "class of the AL." So much for that. 

It's amazing how people who have been around here for years often seem like they're watching their first baseball season year after year. 

Like you and your Mookie takes. Good call! ??

5 hours ago, CORTEz said:

DIdi Gregorious owners be like "I should've sold high on him"....

5-for-39 over his last 10 games. From .368 BA to .291...just like that. 

You’re right, I’m sure they all thought he was a .370 hitter ?. Ooooo does the saltyness in here taste goooooood!!! Hahaa. Best team in baseball!! Who are the Yanks sweeping next after Boston?!

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

What a time to be a fan of this team. They're so much fun to watch. One more stud pitcher and well be unstoppable. 

Bumgarner should do the trick lol

Yankee fans are getting annoying with all their #1 pitcher shopping list talk.

Just throw some prospects at the Giants at they'll surrender Bumgarner. It's that easy right?

14 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Yankee fans are getting annoying with all their #1 pitcher shopping list talk.

Just throw some prospects at the Giants at they'll surrender Bumgarner. It's that easy right?

If the Giants fall out of contention why wouldn't they cash in what little chips they have?

The scary part is the offense still has so much more potential!   We havent seen Bird yet.  Walker only this week has started to hit.  Gardner and Sanchez are still hovering around .200.  Giancarlo hasnt gone on one of those insane Giancarlo hot streaks yet.

5 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

If the Giants fall out of contention why wouldn't they cash in what little chips they have?

Bumgarner is an iconic pitcher--probably why the Yankees fanbase wants him.

It wouldn't be a Verlander-esque salary dump. Nor would it be an Oakland/Pittsburgh/Miami-type case of a cyclical rebuild where they purge the roster.

You just don't sell off a pitcher like that if you're the Giants.

8 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Bumgarner is an iconic pitcher--probably why the Yankees fanbase wants him.

It wouldn't be a Verlander-esque salary dump. Nor would it be an Oakland/Pittsburgh/Miami-type case of a cyclical rebuild where they purge the roster.

You just don't sell off a pitcher like that if you're the Giants.

Assuming they fall out of it, they could trade him to the Yankees for a haul this July and then re-sign him after the 2019 season. 

31 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Assuming they fall out of it, they could trade him to the Yankees for a haul this July and then re-sign him after the 2019 season. 

Yankees would be stupid to do something like that...