Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Yankees would be stupid to do something like that... 

Like the Cubs were for trading for Chapman?

If it gets you a ring it's all worth it imo.

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

Exactly - as mentioned before... I don't know a single Cub fan that would be upset if Torres goes on to become the best second baseman in the history of the game.  They got a much coveted championship with Chapman and they don't get Chapman w/o including Torres and they don't win a championship w/o Chapman. 

It IS fun seeing Torres play as well as he has in such a short time period for the Yanks.

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Bumgarner is an iconic pitcher--probably why the Yankees fanbase wants him.

It wouldn't be a Verlander-esque salary dump. Nor would it be an Oakland/Pittsburgh/Miami-type case of a cyclical rebuild where they purge the roster.

You just don't sell off a pitcher like that if you're the Giants.

I don't think the Giants have the balls to do it.   But considering the state of the farm system and the expected return for a Madbum they should consider/do it if they truly fall out of the race.  I think they'll be too competitive for it too be an option but the Yankees have the prospects to make it work.  

14 hours ago, DannyMcPot said:

Best team in baseball.

Yup.. So looking at the prospective starters they might be able to deal for by the deadline Bumgarner is the only guy that I would be ok with them giving up some of their top prospects for. But that's really only if their starters go down with injury. If that doesn't happen I'm honestly fine going forward with the staff as presently constituted. Gray is just a different pitcher with Romine catching & as crazy as it sounds I think CC's pickled enough now to keep this going the whole year. Great, great time to be a Yankee fan. What's so exciting is that the bulk of the team is comprised of players that they themselves have developed. Haven't been this excited about a Yankee team since the 90's. 

1 minute ago, Cheppy said:

Yup.. So looking at the prospective starters they might be able to deal for by the deadline Bumgarner is the only guy that I would be ok with them giving up some of their top prospects for. But that's really only if their starters go down with injury. If that doesn't happen I'm honestly fine going forward with the staff as presently constituted. Gray is just a different pitcher with Romine catching & as crazy as it sounds I think CC's pickled enough now to keep this going the whole year. Great, great time to be a Yankee fan. What's so exciting is that the bulk of the team is comprised of players that they themselves have developed. Haven't been this excited about a Yankee team since the 90's. 

This is the happiest I've been in years as sad as that sounds. Thank you Cashman, you beautiful bald ninja!!! 

Bumgarner would def be interesting although he worries me from missing so much time off. Would love to have a proven postseason performer like him but I don't think he comes back and is automatically Bumgarner again. Still lots of time left til the ASB and you never know who steps up (Sheffield, Montgomery) or which teams decide to sell at the deadline. 

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Well it’s been well documented some Yankees prospects are off limits. Now if the Giants take a couple of second tier prospects maybe the Yankees make the trade. This all comes down what do the Giants want for Bumgarner. I don’t see the Yankees trading Torres, Andujar, Sheffield or Florial. Who is untouchable else? 

The Cubs needed to make that trade, to satisfy the fans, since they been losers since 1908. The Cubs had to give up a top notch prospect like Torres to get Chapman. Are the Yankees that desperate to trade a top tier prospect? I think not. The Yankees had the upper hand with the Cubs after all which team is named the lovable losers? 

Not all those july/August trades brings a team a World Series victory. The Cubs did the right thing they won. Thank God they did. 

21 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

I go back to the 70s with Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson, Thurman Munson, Craig Nettles, Bucky Dent, Mickey Rivers, Ron Guidry & Sparky Lyle etc..

Remains to be seen but they may not need another starter.  Sevy is a bonafide ace.  Tanaka can pitch like an ace, and definitely did in the playoffs last year.  

It comes down to Gray.  If he can settle in and become a #3 type starter, which he is capable of, then they will probably be just fine.  You still have CC there.  Montgomery will be back.  Who knows maybe German will continue to impress too.

Whats even realistically available?    I dont see guys like Happ or Hamels as upgrades over what they have now.  I dont think Bumgarner is realistic.  I know they inquired about Fulmer in the offseason, but Detroit wanted a kings ransom.

11 minutes ago, nykid1981 said:

Remains to be seen but they may not need another starter.  Sevy is a bonafide ace.  Tanaka can pitch like an ace, and definitely did in the playoffs last year.  

It comes down to Gray.  If he can settle in and become a #3 type starter, which he is capable of, then they will probably be just fine.  You still have CC there.  Montgomery will be back.  Who knows maybe German will continue to impress too.

Whats even realistically available?    I dont see guys like Happ or Hamels as upgrades over what they have now.  I dont think Bumgarner is realistic.  I know they inquired about Fulmer in the offseason, but Detroit wanted a kings ransom.

plus justus sheffield was great in AA and was promoted to AAA.  you  may see him get a taste this year

i agree that most pitchers available arent big upgrades.  not even sure fulmer would be great in NY

if madbum had a good month, and we need a starter then id pull the trigger with 2-3 big time prospects tbh...it would be worth it

34 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Well it’s been well documented some Yankees prospects are off limits. Now if the Giants take a couple of second tier prospects maybe the Yankees make the trade. This all comes down what do the Giants want for Bumgarner. I don’t see the Yankees trading Torres, Andujar, Sheffield or Florial. Who is untouchable else? 

The Cubs needed to make that trade, to satisfy the fans, since they been losers since 1908. The Cubs had to give up a top notch prospect like Torres to get Chapman. Are the Yankees that desperate to trade a top tier prospect? I think not. The Yankees had the upper hand with the Cubs after all which team is named the lovable losers? 

Not all those july/August trades brings a team a World Series victory. The Cubs did the right thing they won. Thank God they did. 

assuming we need a pitcher, and madbum comes back and looks like his old self

would you do something like Frazier, Sheffield and a single A pitcher like Freicier Perez or luis medina???

i would

Yanks have now won series against Toronto, Minnesota, LAA, Indians, Astros, and Red Sox.  They have literally beat every single team at the top of the AL.

Might as well just start playing the top NL teams now to establish full MLB dominance.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not sure if I really want Bumgarner I feel like the Giants would want too much in return and I think you could certainly make the case that his best days are behind him. He is a flyball pitcher whose had the benefit of pitching in the worst hitters park in MLB. That's not to say he wouldn't make this team better he would I'm just not sure it'll be worth the cost I do feel like his name is worth more than his actual value at this point

12 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

would you do something like Frazier, Sheffield and a single A pitcher like Freicier Perez or luis medina???

i would

Sure - if you're the Yanks you'd consider that.  If you're the Giants you wouldn't.

22 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i would

OOF. Frazier AND Sheffield? Im not so sure I would do it. Id definitely do one or the other plus some other guys. 

13 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i would

I am not big on rentals, so I would trade those three as long as Bumgarner doesn’t leave in 2019. Let’s give him a contract. 

3 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Sure - if you're the Yanks you'd consider that.  If you're the Giants you wouldn't.

you wont get a better offer than that....plus madbum only has 1 year left then is a 2020 FA, and i doubt giants sign him.

@shakestreet -well hes not a rental, he has a 2019 team option for 12 million i believe 

Just now, jfazz23 said:

you wont get a better offer than that....plus madbum only has 1 year left then is a 2020 FA, and i doubt giants sign him.

Yes, yes they would get a better offer than that & the Giants should expect more.  The one year left actually plays a lot into the value of the player - that's a full year and a half of team control and not a "rental".  And you're also talking about one of the elite Aces & one of the best playoff performers in the history of the game.  

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

@shakestreet -well hes not a rental, he has a 2019 team option for 12 million i believe 

I would make that trade to get Bum...thinking more I really hate to lose Justice Sheffield the kid could be another Severino. A nice lefty/right combo aces. 

Realistically, the Yanks would have to give Florial, Sheffield or Adams, (or sub in their preferred top 5-7 prospects with 1 being a SP) and a prospect in the top 10-15 (maybe Tate) as the base for MadBum considering his 1.5 years of team control. 

I can't believe I'm about to write this,  but i can't ignore this damn team.  They are stacked beyond belief.  The 9 hitter would be in  most teams top 3. They are the Statcast leader board essentially.  Developed their own ace almost overnight in Severino. Acquired Stanton, fixed Judge.  And all while lowering payroll and restocking the farm very nicely.  They're like the valedictorian engineer who also starts at QB, and stole your girlfriend.  

9 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Yes, yes they would get a better offer than that & the Giants should expect more.  The one year left actually plays a lot into the value of the player - that's a full year and a half of team control and not a "rental".  And you're also talking about one of the elite Aces & one of the best playoff performers in the history of the game.  

no they wont.  very few teams...if any, have a better minor league syste,than the yanks.  two top 25 prospects (depending on list) plus a highly touted A ball guy.

give me the team that beats that.  it would have to be a team in the race too.  you wont find any.

now if you want to say the giants wont accept that then fine...but something like that wont be beaten

9 minutes ago, yankees77 said:

Realistically, the Yanks would have to give Florial, Sheffield or Adams, (or sub in their preferred top 5-7 prospects with 1 being a SP) and a prospect in the top 10-15 (maybe Tate) as the base for MadBum considering his 1.5 years of team control. 

so frazier, sheffield and Perez isnt enough?

frazier, sheffield, perez, tate ?

12 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I would make that trade to get Bum...thinking more I really hate to lose Justice Sheffield the kid could be another Severino. A nice lefty/right combo aces. 

Same here. I'd hate to give up Sheffield he could be a great lefty sp for years to come - he'll turn just 22 in a few days

Forget about MadBum. Remember, the Giants are like the Yankees: They have a track record of winning championships -- at least recently -- and expect to win every year.

Now that we've addressed that, who else is out there?

There's Fulmer and......

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

EXACTLY! The Cubs would’ve sold their soul for that championship. Of course the end game is always going for the chip but the Yanks are no where near as desperate to go all in as the Cubs were. I would not trade much for a rental and neither will the Yankees