Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Well it’s been well documented some Yankees prospects are off limits. Now if the Giants take a couple of second tier prospects maybe the Yankees make the trade. This all comes down what do the Giants want for Bumgarner. I don’t see the Yankees trading Torres, Andujar, Sheffield or Florial. Who is untouchable else? 

The Cubs needed to make that trade, to satisfy the fans, since they been losers since 1908. The Cubs had to give up a top notch prospect like Torres to get Chapman. Are the Yankees that desperate to trade a top tier prospect? I think not. The Yankees had the upper hand with the Cubs after all which team is named the lovable losers? 

Not all those july/August trades brings a team a World Series victory. The Cubs did the right thing they won. Thank God they did. 

I'm so sorry - but some of you Yankee fans are 100% delusional.  "that desperate to trade a top tier prospect" - this happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR during the season and offseason... teams trading elite minor league talent tio try to win.  The Yankees aren't some magically different team that is void of doing so. 

The Yankees wouldn't have traded Chapman if they didn't get the haul they got.  There was zero desperation on the Cubs part - they had the assets to trade for Chapman (or another elite closer).. end of story.  The Yankees didn't have the upper hand, at all, with the Cubs - if the Cubs weren't willing to part with Torres to get Chapman guess what would have happened?  They would have moved on to another team willing to make a deal as the Yankees would have done the exact same thing.  IF the Yankees were smart, they 100% would (and probably will) trade some of their surplus of minor league talent to try to win this season.. it's called common sense (not desperation).

1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I'm so sorry - but some of you Yankee fans are 100% delusional.  "that desperate to trade a top tier prospect" - this happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR... teams trading elite minor league talent.  The Yankees aren't some magically different team that is void of doing so.  The Yankees wouldn't have traded Chapman if they didn't get the haul they got.  There was zero desperation on the Cubs part - they had the assets to trade for Chapman.. end of story.  The Yankees didn't have the upper hand, at all, with the Cubs - if the Cubs weren't willing to part with Torres to get Chapman guess what would have happened?  They would have moved on to another team willing to make a deal as the Yankees would have done the exact same thing.

I’m sorry I don’t speak regret 

13 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I'm so sorry - but some of you Yankee fans are 100% delusional.  "that desperate to trade a top tier prospect" - this happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR during the season and offseason... teams trading elite minor league talent tio try to win.  The Yankees aren't some magically different team that is void of doing so. 

The Yankees wouldn't have traded Chapman if they didn't get the haul they got.  There was zero desperation on the Cubs part - they had the assets to trade for Chapman (or another elite closer).. end of story.  The Yankees didn't have the upper hand, at all, with the Cubs - if the Cubs weren't willing to part with Torres to get Chapman guess what would have happened?  They would have moved on to another team willing to make a deal as the Yankees would have done the exact same thing.  IF the Yankees were smart, they 100% would (and probably will) trade some of their surplus of minor league talent to try to win this season.. it's called common sense (not desperation).

I didn’t think Cubs fans were familiar with any feeling other than desperation honestly... 

22 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Forget about MadBum. Remember, the Giants are like the Yankees: They have a track record of winning championships -- at least recently -- and expect to win every year.

Now that we've addressed that, who else is out there?

There's Fulmer and......

their farm system is awful and the players they signed, longoria and cutch, have both seen better days

you say they are like the yankees, but what did the yankees do?  they traded stuff away and kept their prospects.

so using your logic, they should absolutely trade madbum and build their farm.  id even go as far as getting whatever i could for cutch or longoria as well as maybe brandon belt.

i doubt they trade posey, but they should...

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

their farm system is awful and the players they signed, longoria and cutch, have both seen better days

you say they are like the yankees, but what did the yankees do?  they traded stuff away and kept their prospects.

so using your logic, they should absolutely trade madbum and build their farm.  id even go as far as getting whatever i could for cutch or longoria as well as maybe brandon belt.

i doubt they trade posey, but they should...

Who did Cashman trade away???

Chapman and Miller....was there another guy? I don't remember.

Bumgarner is the equivalent of the Giants' Jeter.

21 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Yankees have made many trades in recent years..

It's been years but Shane Greene for Didi Gregorious.  Not sure how far back you're going but that was pretty recent.

Nick Solak for Brandon Drury (though Drury hasn't played much and this doesn't support the narrative of keeping their prospects, but Solak didn't have a clear path to the majors with the Yankees anyway)

Then there was Chapman and Miller who got traded. They originally traded a bag of balls for Chapman and traded him when the team was going nowhere for Gleyber Torres and Billy McKinney.  Miller brought back Justus Sheffield, Clint Frazier, Ben Heller and JP Freyereisen.

Also they got Starlin Castro for essentially a bag of balls, then they traded him for along with a couple low-level prospects for Giancarlo Stanton.

Traded Chase Headley and Bryan Mitchell for salary relief, plus addition by subtraction.

Martin Prado and David Phelps for Nate Eovaldi and Domingo German also.  Now we're getting to see German in the rotation.

John Ryan Murphy for Aaron Hicks.

24 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Posey is imo.

34 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

no that would be posey ....  @96mnc - what he said

bum is closer to an andy pettite (better stuff) whom the yanks let walk once upon a time.  when its time to move on its time to move on

27 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Yankees have made many trades in recent years..

It's been years but Shane Greene for Didi Gregorious.  Not sure how far back you're going but that was pretty recent.

Nick Solak for Brandon Drury (though Drury hasn't played much and this doesn't support the narrative of keeping their prospects, but Solak didn't have a clear path to the majors with the Yankees anyway)

Then there was Chapman and Miller who got traded. They originally traded a bag of balls for Chapman and traded him when the team was going nowhere for Gleyber Torres and Billy McKinney.  Miller brought back Justus Sheffield, Clint Frazier, Ben Heller and JP Freyereisen.

Also they got Starlin Castro for essentially a bag of balls, then they traded him for along with a couple low-level prospects for Giancarlo Stanton.

Traded Chase Headley and Bryan Mitchell for salary relief, plus addition by subtraction.

Martin Prado and David Phelps for Nate Eovaldi and Domingo German also.  Now we're getting to see German in the rotation.

John Ryan Murphy for Aaron Hicks.

Thanks but I'm talking about Cash selling off established players--and performing at a high level, not guys who had worn out their welcome-- for prospects.

That he's done infrequently. Miller, Chapman, and after I looked it up Beltran (all at the 2016 deadline) are the only ones.

On 5/7/2018 at 1:48 PM, 96mnc said:

I think the Yankees bullpen is superior and I have no dog in this fight. 

I'm a Red Sox fan as most of you know and I agree they have a better pen than the Cubs.  And they certainty have a better pen than Boston.  NY's only problem is Betances not being what he used to be.

On 5/7/2018 at 4:24 PM, 96mnc said:

No idea who the other FA SPs are other than Corbin but I expect them to go hard after a SP or two. 

Ah, uh, cough, swallow ... David Price has an player option at the end of the year.  Could you guys pleasssssse entice him away from the Sox with the promise of unlimited access to Fortnite (see article in Price thread) and other goodies like ice.  After all he will never ever pitch against you so why not have him pitch for you, cough.  :blink:

8 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Bumgarner should do the trick lol

Given his propensity at getting himself injured he'd probably go out the first week for the rest of the year after he tried to leap a tall building in a single bound.

3 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Thanks but I'm talking about Cash selling off established players--and performing at a high level, not guys who had worn out their welcome-- for prospects.

That he's done infrequently. Miller, Chapman, and after I looked it up Beltran (all at the 2016 deadline) are the only ones.

Brian McCann  traded for Jorge Guzman + Albert Abreu.   Guzman was used in the trade for Stanton.  Abreu is a top 100 prospect in baseball

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I go back to the 70s with Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson, Thurman Munson, Craig Nettles, Bucky Dent, Mickey Rivers, Ron Guidry & Sparky Lyle etc..

80's child here so it wasn't until the 90's teams that I saw winning baseball from the Bombers. Donny Baseball will forever be my favorite player.

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Forget about MadBum. Remember, the Giants are like the Yankees: They have a track record of winning championships -- at least recently -- and expect to win every year.

Now that we've addressed that, who else is out there?

There's Fulmer and......

giphy.gif

Fulmer doesn't even do it for me.

Honestly, unless a rash of injuries hit I really dont think the Yanks will make a big deadline splash.  The likely names available fall into one or more of the following categories:   1) they really arent significant upgrades over whats on the roster now, 2) they might put the Yanks over the luxury tax, 3) they probably arent worth what the demand will be in prospects.   I'm not trading Sheffield and Frazier + unless I am getting a front line starter.  Not Cole Hamels.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Posey is imo.

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

no that would be posey ....  @96mnc - what he said

bum is closer to an andy pettite (better stuff) whom the yanks let walk once upon a time.  when its time to move on its time to move on

It's beside the point.

Substitute "Jeter" in my previous post with any number of names: Rivera, Pettite, Posada, Bernie Williams, etc

The point was MadBum is a homegrown, all-star player with numerous accolades -- including several World Series rings with the team -- and considerable equity with the fanbase. He's not a mercenary, FA signee who's been with the club for a few years. You don't just sell off a guy like that for some prospects.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:45 AM, nykid1981 said:

Remains to be seen but they may not need another starter.  Sevy is a bonafide ace.  Tanaka can pitch like an ace, and definitely did in the playoffs last year.  

It comes down to Gray.  If he can settle in and become a #3 type starter, which he is capable of, then they will probably be just fine.  You still have CC there.  Montgomery will be back.  Who knows maybe German will continue to impress too.

Whats even realistically available?    I dont see guys like Happ or Hamels as upgrades over what they have now.  I dont think Bumgarner is realistic.  I know they inquired about Fulmer in the offseason, but Detroit wanted a kings ransom.

I'd trust Hamels over Gray in a pennant race and the postseason.

7 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Gray is a typical Oakland guy.  Has decent stuff at times but the Coliseum inflated his stats/worth.  

11 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Hamels has a -11.7 rated fastball.  Second worst behind only Lance Lynn’s.  I can only imagine how many souvenirs he’d give fans at Yankee stadium and Fenway Park. 

12 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I have to agree ....

47 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Hamels has a -11.7 rated fastball.  Second worst behind only Lance Lynn’s.  I can only imagine how many souvenirs he’d give fans at Yankee stadium and Fenway Park. 

Another metric stat to me that means squat. It all comes down does the pitcher know how to pitch. Location,  pitch selection, can the pitcher spot his fastball at the right place....

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I have to agree ....

Another metric stat to me that means squat. It all comes down does the pitcher know how to pitch. Location,  pitch selection, can the pitcher spot his fastball at the right place....

Well that metric would clearly show you that he cannot given how terrible it is.  I wouldn’t give up squat for Hamels.  I’d take him over Gray, but CC vs Hamels is there much of a difference?  Yankees should be aiming much higher than Hamels.

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

I haven't checked pitch mix metrics but what I'm seeing is that he's going cutter and offspeed stuff heavy with good command.   

36 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Well that metric would clearly show you that he cannot given how terrible it is.  I wouldn’t give up squat for Hamels.  I’d take him over Gray, but CC vs Hamels is there much of a difference?  Yankees should be aiming much higher than Hamels.

I guess I misunderstood these last couple of posts... I agree with 96 that he trust Hamels more than Gray. But I don’t want to trade prospects for Hamels I guess if it was Hamels for Gray trade . I might go for that. 

Come on a pitcher can be successful without a blazing fastball that why that metric means squat to me.... there been numerous pitchers later in their careers lost miles off there fastball and still dominated... 

On 5/7/2018 at 12:04 PM, IlliniGuy76 said:

Strop, Morrow, Edwards,  Duensing, Cishek are right now as good as any five combos in baseball.  CJ Edwards, right now, is pitching better than anyone in the Yanks bullpen & maybe as good as any back-end reliever in baseball.

Didn’t take long for Edwards to go to trash lol. Like I said needed to see dominance for a full season not a measley 16 innings. ?

17 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Didn’t take long for Edwards to go to trash lol. Like I said needed to see dominance for a full season not a measley 16 innings. ?

I LOVE it when people post garbage like this.  The guy has had a bad week - he had an unreal (note:  he was dominant last year... like... a full season) 2017 & was one of the best relievers last year.  Give it a break.