Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

15 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

100 wins.  usually wins the division.  not bad considering Judge, Didi, gleyber and sanchez all missed substantial time.  and severino was near not existent in the last 2.5 months

who you throwing against oakland?

JA Happ

Considering how they slept walked into 100 wins have to be really, really excited for this team in the future. I'd start Tanaka. Jon and Suzyn absolutely LOVE Happ. He's just so bleh to me. Give me Mr. Meh. 

12 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

100 wins.  usually wins the division.  not bad considering Judge, Didi, gleyber and sanchez all missed substantial time.  and severino was near not existent in the last 2.5 months

who you throwing against oakland?

Tanaka on a short leash. If he 'has it', he'll give you 6-7 lights out innings. If he doesn't, make it a bullpen game.

Save Happ and Severino for game 1/2 against Boston.

1 hour ago, exm said:

Tanaka on a short leash. If he 'has it', he'll give you 6-7 lights out innings. If he doesn't, make it a bullpen game.

Save Happ and Severino for game 1/2 against Boston.

i agree with it

u can usually tell if tanaka has it by the 2nd inning.

who is oaklandpitching?  Fiers?

6 minutes ago, lehighterp said:

Anyone think Severino gets a few innings today? :lol:

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

i agree with it

You can say the same thing about Happ.    Happ has been their best SP in the second half.  Tanaka is hit or miss so why not go with the guy who is pitching the best right now?  Plus you can go to the BP with a quick hook no matter who pitches so that is hardly a reason to go with Tananka and hope he has it.  Worry about Boston if you get there.  They are all going to need to play well to beat Boston...if you lose against Oakland, there is no Boston series.  Add in the fact that despite all the love of BP arms these days, do you really want your playoff life to be on the the arms of Chad Green, Robertson and Holder?  They got lucky last season escaping a horrid Severino start against Minn...Oakland is far better than Minnesota was.

Also, all the talk about Severino being their best SP and the guy with the best stuff from the likes of David Cone simply ignores the fact that Severino has been awful for the most part in the second half and is the most likely of the three to go get lit up right now.  Add in the fact that Severino got lit up by Oakland in their last match up.  Cone needs to get his head out of the stat binder and use his eyes imo. 

18 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

You can say the same thing about Happ.    Happ has been their best SP in the second half.  Tanaka is hit or miss so why not go with the guy who is pitching the best right now?  Plus you can go to the BP with a quick hook no matter who pitches so that is hardly a reason to go with Tananka and hope he has it.  Worry about Boston if you get there.  They are all going to need to play well to beat Boston...if you lose against Oakland, there is no Boston series.  Add in the fact that despite all the love of BP arms these days, do you really want your playoff life to be on the the arms of Chad Green, Robertson and Holder?  They got lucky last season escaping a horrid Severino start against Minn...Oakland is far better than Minnesota was.

Also, all the talk about Severino being their best SP and the guy with the best stuff from the likes of David Cone simply ignores the fact that Severino has been awful for the most part in the second half and is the most likely of the three to go get lit up right now.  Add in the fact that Severino got lit up by Oakland in their last match up.  Cone needs to get his head out of the stat binder and use his eyes imo. 

ya severino hasnt crossed my mind

i just think tanaka's best is better than happs best.  but i like ja happ too

3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i just think tanaka's best is better than happs best.  but i like ja happ too

That may be true, but I look at it form a probability they pitch well perspective.  Nothing is a sure thing so it is all a gamble, but right now, if forced to choose, I think there is a greater chance Happ can give you 6 strong innings then there is with Tanaka.  Nothing stops them from using both if they need to either.  All hands are on deck. 

I just hate to lose the whole season because they bring in Holder or Green in the 4th or 5th and they do not have it.  These BP games can go bad in a hurry as I call it the "Quest for the Ineffective Reliever" strategy.  The stat-heads may love this nonsense, but imo sooner or later you get burned by the fact that your starters cannot give you quality and length.  My 2 cents.

I would just rather see Tanaka because we've seen him do really well in the post season. H e was fantastic in the  playoffs before. Happ is just a guy whose been here for two months it just kind of makes me queasy to give him the keys for a do or die game. 

But anyways Looks like a pen game for OAK. 

Have a bad feeling yanks lose 3-1. Billy Beane Bag gets his long awaited Jeets flip play revenge in the the house that Matsui built. 

Seriously Jon and Suzyn are the biggest jinxes. They keep ramblin about the ALDS schedule and taking this game for granted. Kind of drives me nuts. 

7 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

I would just rather see Tanaka because we've seen him do really well in the post season. H e was fantastic in the  playoffs before. Happ is just a guy whose been here for two months it just kind of makes me queasy to give him the keys for a do or die game. 

Have a bad feeling yanks lose 3-1. Billy Beane Bag gets his long awaited Jeets flip play revenge in the the house that Matsui built. 

Seriously Jon and Suzyn are the biggest jinxes. They keep ramblin about the ALDS schedule and taking this game for granted. Kind of drives me nuts. 

plus khris davis is basically babe ruth

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

No one takes anything that Waldman says seriously.  Sterling, while not on the level of complete baseball imbecile imo that is Waldman, is basically just a self-promoter with a good voice.  His calls of games are not that bad save for the ham-boning of HR calls.  He was fine back in the day when paired up with Kay.  Waldman would bring anyone down.  The great mystery is how she has managed to stick around for so long\what she has on the Steinbrenner family lol.

That said, I just think you have to go with the hot hand and it is not like Happ is some scrub that has had a couple of good weeks.  Tanaka can come in on a short leash if necessary.  As to bullpen games, it makes sense for the A's since they have no real top SP.  Their best SP is Fiers and he got lit up last time out and is hardly what anyone would consider a top starter.  They basically are going to gamble that the Rodney's and Familias of the league all have it on the same day.  Maybe they do and the Yanks pull their disappearing offense act again, but I like their chances of getting to the As pitching if they all stay within their abilities and all just do not go out their and try to hit HRs every AB.

15 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

No one takes anything that Waldman says seriously.  Sterling, while not on the level of complete baseball imbecile imo that is Waldman, is basically just a self-promoter with a good voice.  His calls of games are not that bad save for the ham-boning of HR calls.  He was fine back in the day when paired up with Kay.  Waldman would bring anyone down.  The great mystery is how she has managed to stick around for so long\what she has on the Steinbrenner family lol.

Yeah they've been around forever. Sterling has really just turned into kind of a caricature of sorts with the goofy homerun calls and I actually think it's pretty funny at times like mostly meaningless reg season games hehe . Not in the playoffs then its positively ulcer inducing. I remember listening to them in the car last year when the yanks had an 8-0 lead against Cleveland it was the game where Lindor hit the Grand slam and they came back and Joe didn't challenge the HBP of Lonnie Chisenhall. Before that those two dumb dumbs were yucking it up saying oh there's NO WAY this yankee pen will relinquish the lead. It was night of the Living Jinx with those two. Brutal

And as far as Happ yea I don't mean to make it sound like I think Happ sucks or anything he's good of course I'd just feel better about Tanaka because I've seen him more I guess. But I mean really it'll be all hands on deck for sure. 

2 hours ago, DidiFan said:

Yeah they've been around forever. Sterling has really just turned into kind of a caricature of sorts with the goofy homerun calls and I actually think it's pretty funny at times like mostly meaningless reg season games hehe . Not in the playoffs then its positively ulcer inducing. I remember listening to them in the car last year when the yanks had an 8-0 lead against Cleveland it was the game where Lindor hit the Grand slam and they came back and Joe didn't challenge the HBP of Lonnie Chisenhall. Before that those two dumb dumbs were yucking it up saying oh there's NO WAY this yankee pen will relinquish the lead. It was night of the Living Jinx with those two. Brutal

And as far as Happ yea I don't mean to make it sound like I think Happ sucks or anything he's good of course I'd just feel better about Tanaka because I've seen him more I guess. But I mean really it'll be all hands on deck for sure. 

Sterling has not missed a game in countless years too.  Sort of like the guy that never wants to call in sick because he is afraid management will realize that any replacement will be better lol.  In fairness though I do not mind Sterling all that much.  It is Waldman that makes the radio broadcast unbearable imo. 

That said, I actually tuned my cell phone to the radio broadcast of them a couple of weeks ago when on Yanks were on ESPN and the two clowns there (ARod and Mendoza) where just so awful.  I do not know which is worse, the phony Arod and his BS or listening to Mendoza with her totally useless commentary....but I digress.

32 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Sterling has not missed a game in countless years too.  Sort of like the guy that never wants to call in sick because he is afraid management will realize that any replacement will be better lol.  In fairness though I do not mind Sterling all that much.  It is Waldman that makes the radio broadcast unbearable imo. 

That said, I actually tuned my cell phone to the radio broadcast of them a couple of weeks ago when on Yanks were on ESPN and the two clowns there (ARod and Mendoza) where just so awful.  I do not know which is worse, the phony Arod and his BS or listening to Mendoza with her totally useless commentary....but I digress.

I like the ESPN team myself.  I hate ARod but have to admit he is good in the booth and Mendoza is excellent.

Dislike the Yankees telecast both commentators. Just dislike the call of the New York Yankees are coming to bat. Like the New York is unnecessary as you already first know what teams you are watching and second, to my knowledge in the MLB there is only one team called the Yankees so again the New York is not needed. And thinking more about it I find the cutesy HR calls irritating.

8 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i agree with it

Bullpen

It should be Severino.  He is their best SP at home this year. 10-2. 2.74.  During his 11 start bad stretch only 4 were at home, and only 2 were bad.  He has also pitched well in each of his last 3 games.    

2-0 2.04 ERA. I feel extremely confident with Severino.    Plus I want Happ to pitch 2 games in Boston. 

I think yanks win with either Happ or Severino starting at home.      Forget Tanaka.  He is a distant 3rd.  Did you see his last 2 starts?  8 innings 8 runs.  He goes game 2 in Boston.   

On 9/30/2018 at 2:20 PM, secretagentman said:

Severino has also been the best of the 3 over their last 3 starts and is their best pitcher at home.  Also, I think Cone knows a bit more about pitching than you do.   Severino was “blown up” at home, exactly once, all year.  Unless you think 4 runs in 4 innings is blown up?  Then it’s twice. 11 of 15 starts we’re quality and 1 was 2 runs in 5 innings.  

What a shocker.   Severino is pitching the WC.   Smart move, if you want to look beyond your nose and beat the sox.   Also, happens to be the best way to beat the A's.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:21 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I like the ESPN team myself.  I hate ARod but have to admit he is good in the booth and Mendoza is excellent.

AROD is awful in the booth.   

3 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

What a shocker.   Severino is pitching the WC.   Smart move, if you want to look beyond your nose and beat the sox.   Also, happens to be the best way to beat the A's.

Yeah because he did so well against them in Oakland and that near 6 Era in the second half is so wonderful.  Pick the guy pitching the worst in the second half over two established pitchers playing fairly well.  If Severino stinks it up and the Yanks lose, Boone is going to get the biggest beat down here in NY since Torre badly mishandled the staff in the 2004 ALCS.  It is going to make Giradi's non-challenge last season look like a walk in the park in comparison.  Horrible decision no matter how it works out imo.

7 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

AROD is awful in the booth.   

Beyond awful.  And Mendoza offers nothing in the booth and her fluff, soft-ball interviews (pun intended) of players offer little imo as well.

On 9/30/2018 at 4:32 PM, DidiFan said:

As A HUGE yankee fan a was a 95-2011 season ticket holder, this is what i heard.   First of all, Sterling hasn't missed a game since 1989.   In 2003, he was upset that Steiner got to call the Boone HR and did the YANKEES WIN chant....so when Steiners contract ran out,after 2004, he had yanks get rid of him and made sure he would get to do every inning of play by play going forward.  So from 2005 on, Sterling has done every single inning of play by play.  Post season and all.