BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

The Yankees should have given the ball to JA Happ. 

The last two months

Severino 10 starts has pitched 53.2 IP 27 ER —— 4.53 ERA with a 5-4 record 

Since becoming a New York Yankee 11 starts  JA Happ has pitched 63.2 IP 19 ER —— 2.69 ERA with a 7-0 record 

I don’t care about Luis Severino being the face of the Yankees , no way should he be the starter in a ONE game where the loser goes home and really does it really matter who you would start against Boston. First the Yankees need to win against Oakland then we worry about who will start the Boston series. 

Edited by shakestreet
  • Like 1

A's have a much better OPS against RHP this season, even though their lineup is pretty heavily weighted with Righties.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, shakestreet said:

The Yankees should have given the ball to JA Happ. 

The last two months

Severino 10 starts has pitched 53.2 IP 27 ER —— 4.53 ERA with a 5-4 record 

Since becoming a New York Yankee 11 starts  JA Happ has pitched 63.2 IP 19 ER —— 2.69 ERA with a 7-0 record 

I don’t care about Luis Severino being the face of the Yankees , no way should he be the starter in a ONE game where the loser goes home and really does it really matter who you would start against Boston. First the Yankees need to win against Oakland then we worry about who will start the Boston series. 

Why go back 2 months?   Just go back 3 weeks.  Severino 2-0. 2.04.    Plus 10-2. 2.74.  All season at home.   I don’t get the issue.   Yes. 4-8 weeks ago, Sevy was awful.   He hasn’t been since Like Sept 11th. 

Plus us we need Happ to pitch twice in Boston 

Edited by Ratso1022

14 hours ago, Low and Away said:

If he opts, which would be a questionable move, I heard he would like to play for the Rangers. Yankees would not go after Madbum for Salary cap reasons, imo.

Maybe, I just think, Madbum could be a bargain.  Just 29 years old.  Proven big game pitcher.  Only 240 IP over past 2 seasons, so that’s like almost a year off.    With Just Gardner and CC, off the books,  that’s $20 mil right there.   I’d offer as much as 5 years $120 mil.  I doubt that gets it done, but I’d make the offer.    His injuries weren’t arm related or structural.  He is a legit ace.   I may even go as high as 6 for 140

Edited by Ratso1022

10 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

Maybe, I just think, Madbum could be a bargain.  Just 29 years old.  Proven big game pitcher.  Only 240 IP over past 2 seasons, so that’s like almost a year off.    With Just Gardner and CC, off the books,  that’s $20 mil right there.   I’d offer as much as 5 years $120 mil.  I doubt that gets it done, but I’d make the offer.    His injuries weren’t arm related or structural.  He is a legit ace.   I may even go as high as 6 for 140

I think the giants have a team option for $12 mil.  Forget it then

2 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

Why go back 2 months?   Just go back 3 weeks.  Severino 2-0. 2.04.    Plus 10-2. 2.74.  All season at home.   I don’t get the issue.   Yes. 4-8 weeks ago, Sevy was awful.   He hasn’t been since Like Sept 11th. 

Plus us we need Happ to pitch twice in Boston 

Why are you only going back three starts? 

Lets take the month of September 

Severino 4 starts 2-2 record 20.1 IP 9 ER 3.98 ERA 

Happ 5 starts 2-0 record 29 IP 6 ER 1.86 ERA 

I just don’t see the thought process that Severino should make this start in a game where if you lose the season is over, the way he has pitched lately. 

This we need Happ to pitch twice against Boston is baloney if the Yankees don’t win tonight. 

It doesn’t matter who is pitching tonight all I want is a Yankees and I believed Happ gives the Yankees the best chance. I hope you are right am I am wrong. I really won’t be wrong as long as the Yankees win. 

Edited by shakestreet
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Why are you only going back three starts? 

Lets take the month of September 

Severino 4 starts 2-2 record 20.1 IP 9 ER 3.98 ERA 

Happ 5 starts 2-0 record 29 IP 6 ER 1.86 ERA 

I just don’t see the thought process that Severino should make this start in a game where if you lose the season is over, the way he has pitched lately. 

This we need Happ to pitch twice against Boston is baloney if the Yankees don’t win tonight. 

It doesn’t matter who is pitching tonight all I want is a Yankees and I believed Happ gives the Yankees the best chance. I hope you are right am I am wrong. I really won’t be wrong as long as the Yankees win. 

because that's when he fixed his crap.   He's been better since.   What is the definition of "lately"?    Happ was awful last start.   Tanaka terrible last two.   Sevy, very good last 3.   That describes lately to me.   Not 4-11 weeks ago.  

you are including a bad start, in Oakland, prior to his turnaround.   Sevy has been their best pitcher at home.   ALL season.   post those numbers.   I've done in 4-5 times already.   Severino has been great at home.    enough said.   3 bad starts all season

Edited by Ratso1022

10 - 2   2.74 at home  all season

2 - 1   2.04, anywhere,  since September 6th     good enough for me

This was an organizational decision, not just Boone's.   I trust the organization.    I even said this, prior, to their decision.    It's just a no brainer.   Plus you can have Happ pitch twice in Boston.   YESSSSSSSSSSSS, that matters

Edited by Ratso1022

13 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

because that's when he fixed his crap.   He's been better since.   What is the definition of "lately"?    Happ was awful last start.   Tanaka terrible last two.   Sevy, very good last 3.   That describes lately to me.   Not 4-11 weeks ago.  

you are including a bad start, in Oakland, prior to his turnaround.   Sevy has been their best pitcher at home.   ALL season.   post those numbers.   I've done in 4-5 times already.   Severino has been great at home.    enough said.   3 bad starts all season

P

Happ at Yankee Stadium in 2018 7 starts 4-0 39.2 IP 12 ER 2.72 ERA 

in 2017 1 start 1-0 6 IP 1ER 1.50 ERA 

3 bad starts all season?

Severino had 4 bad starts in July alone

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

P

Happ at Yankee Stadium in 2018 7 starts 4-0 39.2 IP 12 ER 2.72 ERA 

in 2017 1 start 1-0 6 IP 1ER 1.50 ERA 

3 bad starts all season?

Severino had 4 bad starts in July alone

AT YANKEE STADIUM  UGGGGGG

10 - 2    2.74    15 STARTS     11  QUALITY     3 BAD

Edited by Ratso1022

9 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

10 - 2   2.74 at home  all season

2 - 1   2.04, anywhere,  since September 6th     good enough for me

I am glad it’s good enough for you but not for me... 

I have three good New York Yankee fans up here in Massachusetts that are around my age. Let’s Just say we are over 50. We all believe the Yankees should have started Happ. 

Just now, Ratso1022 said:

AT YANKEE STADIUM  UGGGGGG

What is so UGGGGG about Happ stats at the Stadium? 

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

I am glad it’s good enough for you but not for me... 

I have three good New York Yankee fans up here in Massachusetts that are around my age. Let’s Just say we are over 50. We all believe the Yankees should have started Happ. 

I'm 55.   Me, Boone, and Cashman agree Severino should start.   We are all yankee fans.   I admit I'm looking ahead to Boston.   I think it matters a ton

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

What is so UGGGGG about Happ stats at the Stadium? 

that was about your 4 bad July starts for severino

@shakestreet       I like you.     Let's agree to disagree     we're not going to change each other's minds.    go yankees.   Sevy will go  4 1/3  give up 2 runs and we can argue if he pitched a good game or not tomorrow,   after yanks win  6-3  tonight

Edited by Ratso1022

1 minute ago, Ratso1022 said:

I'm 55.   Me, Boone, and Cashman agree Severino should start.   We are all yankee fans.   I admit I'm looking ahead to Boston.   I think it matters a ton

The 3 

Aaron has made so many stupid mistakes this yea4 I am surprised he still has a job

I am not a fan of Brian... giving 10 year contracts like they are candy to washed up ballplayers .....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

The 3 

Aaron has made so many stupid mistakes this yea4 I am surprised he still has a job

I am not a fan of Brian... giving 10 year contracts like they are candy to washed up ballplayers .....

agree about Boone.    Cashman has gotten much better lately.    Boone can't be fired now.   

3 managers in 3 years when we made post season all 3, would be ludicrous      the yankee haters would be justified

Edited by Ratso1022

40 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

The 3 

Cashman, the man that kept Mark Newman for years lol.  The man who brought back Javier Vazquez for a second turn through lol.  Carl Pavano anyone?...How about the Ellsbury deal?  The Yanks have developed some players the past few years due largely to new personal running their scouting and minor league development areas.  You can give credit to Cashman for changing personnel, but you also have to give him the fault for sticking with the old clueless clods for so long.

That said, Cashman has made some good moves the past few years.  Replacing nose in his binder Giradi with Boone whose idea of motivation is talk nice and hope while certainly an improvement, was not one of them imo.

There is no question  Happ should have been chosen by anyone looking at this with his eyes and not a fantasy baseball-like stat sheet imo.  Oh he pitched well against them in May...he pitched well at home...he did not stink his last 3 starts (but still could not get through 6 IPs in 2 of them), yada yada yada.  Bottom line, he has not pitched well the second half and has not regained any sense of dominance.  Putting the whole season on the line on the hope he comes through now is just a dumb move imo whether it works out in the end or not.  If it does not, break out he goat horns and put them squarely on Boone's head.  It is his final decision on who to start.

Edited by secretagentman

I can definitely see why some people don't like Severino starting. I like the move myself. Hope for the best and that he pitches well tonight at home with the crowd behind his back. I really hope the offense doesn't lay down and die tonight and K 8 million times. I'm getting a 2015 WC against Keuchel type feeling tonight. 

3 hours ago, secretagentman said:

Cashman, the man that kept Mark Newman for years lol.  The man who brought back Javier Vazquez for a second turn through lol.  Carl Pavano anyone?...How about the Ellsbury deal?  The Yanks have developed some players the past few years due largely to new personal running their scouting and minor league development areas.  You can give credit to Cashman for changing personnel, but you also have to give him the fault for sticking with the old clueless clods for so long.

That said, Cashman has made some good moves the past few years.  Replacing nose in his binder Giradi with Boone whose idea of motivation is talk nice and hope while certainly an improvement, was not one of them imo.

There is no question  Happ should have been chosen by anyone looking at this with his eyes and not a fantasy baseball-like stat sheet imo.  Oh he pitched well against them in May...he pitched well at home...he did not stink his last 3 starts (but still could not get through 6 IPs in 2 of them), yada yada yada.  Bottom line, he has not pitched well the second half and has not regained any sense of dominance.  Putting the whole season on the line on the hope he comes through now is just a dumb move imo whether it works out in the end or not.  If it does not, break out he goat horns and put them squarely on Boone's head.  It is his final decision on who to start.

only since about 07-08, since George lost his marbles, has Cashman been the main decision maker.   Don't blame him for anything prior to '08.  He was just under George's thumb then

I'm looking at it with my eyes, and as a fan. former 16 year season ticket holder and a fan for 50 years.    Also looking ahead to Boston.   Severino is the correct move if you want to win it all.   If you want to look past the nose on your face, this is the right move

6 inning means nothing.   they aren't letting any starter go 6 tonight.    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs, home record and last 3 starts is HUGE.   who cares what they did from July 12th to September 5th?   you are so wrong on this

Edited by Ratso1022

4 hours ago, DidiFan said:

I can definitely see why some people don't like Severino starting. I like the move myself. Hope for the best and that he pitches well tonight at home with the crowd behind his back. I really hope the offense doesn't lay down and die tonight and K 8 million times. I'm getting a 2015 WC against Keuchel type feeling tonight. 

Mr doom & gloom 

2 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

only since about 07-08, since George lost his marbles, has Cashman been the main decision maker.   Don't blame him for anything prior to '08.  He was just under George's thumb then

I'm looking at it with my eyes, and as a fan. former 16 year season ticket holder and a fan for 50 years.    Also looking ahead to Boston.   Severino is the correct move if you want to win it all.   If you want to look past the nose on your face, this is the right move

6 inning means nothing.   they aren't letting any starter go 6 tonight.    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs, home record and last 3 starts is HUGE.   who cares what they did from July 12th to September 5th?   you are so wrong on this

He is not wrong ... you are. ?

17 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Mr doom & gloom 

I was a Jet Fan in another life. Please forgive me. 

please watch this video of Aaron judge and his teammates 

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1