BlueJaysIn2030

New York Yankees 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

@MrBrown @DidiFan

u think the yanks can get Scooter Gennet from the reds?

Interesting one.  I assume to open up room in the IF for Senzel the Reds might consider moving Gennett.  Other than that I don't see them selling yet, and so his cost would also be too high.  Yankees would also get just 1-year out of him, which has some positives and some negatives.

This offseason will be very interesting.  Yankees under the luxury tax threshold with plenty of money to spend.  And they really need to spend to add to the depth of the team.  We don't want to keep having to win a 1-game playoff i the WC game.  I don't love Machado but I feel that's the direction they'll go in and they definitely won't stop there.  I look forward to the Hot Stove starting because there will be so much done this offseason, at least there should be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

@MrBrown @DidiFan

u think the yanks can get Scooter Gennet from the reds?

ooooh yeah that's a good one. Definitely could be in the discussion and he's a lefty too. I don't follow the Reds much but like Mr Brown mentioned they may have a bit of a log jam in the IF with Senzel on the rise next year. Get the feeling this will be a really busy off season for Cashman. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 2:55 PM, MrBrown said:

Interesting one.  I assume to open up room in the IF for Senzel the Reds might consider moving Gennett.  Other than that I don't see them selling yet, and so his cost would also be too high.  Yankees would also get just 1-year out of him, which has some positives and some negatives.

This offseason will be very interesting.  Yankees under the luxury tax threshold with plenty of money to spend.  And they really need to spend to add to the depth of the team.  We don't want to keep having to win a 1-game playoff i the WC game.  I don't love Machado but I feel that's the direction they'll go in and they definitely won't stop there.  I look forward to the Hot Stove starting because there will be so much done this offseason, at least there should be.

On 10/14/2018 at 6:08 PM, DidiFan said:

ooooh yeah that's a good one. Definitely could be in the discussion and he's a lefty too. I don't follow the Reds much but like Mr Brown mentioned they may have a bit of a log jam in the IF with Senzel on the rise next year. Get the feeling this will be a really busy off season for Cashman. 

have you guys been hearing that the yankees are trying to go after Paul Goldschmidt via trade????

35 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

have you guys been hearing that the yankees are trying to go after Paul Goldschmidt via trade????

Yea and I would love that.  However, I think it would take more than what the Yankees would be willing to give up for a "1-year rental" Even though the Yankees are a team that could easily re-sign him, I don't see that trade happening.  

I could see that trade happening before signing Machado long term. But before either the Yankees really need pitching.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

I could see that trade happening before signing Machado long term. But before either the Yankees really need pitching.

i expect Corbin to sign with Yankees.  then i also think they will go after Ja Happ, CC or even Morton.  I also read an interesting article saying that the indians are looking to trade Kluber.  also that james paxton might be available via trade.

and i agree, i want no part in machado.  would LOVE to get goldie

Edited by jfazz23

I think Machado would be the most fraught acquisition since A-Rod II. I totally dig the idea of getting Goldie, both for the team and for him. He deserves some time in the limelight. 

• Like 1

MadBum?  Corbin would seem like Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright 2.0

15 minutes ago, parrothead said:

No one could possibly replicate the absolute utter ineptitude of Carl Pavano. His reputation as a malingerer is still a running gag in NY darn near 15 years later. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

No one could possibly replicate the absolute utter ineptitude of Carl Pavano. His reputation as a malingerer is still a running gag in NY darn near 15 years later. 

A true American Idle

1 minute ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

A true American Idle

Never Forget.

image_7.png image_3.png  image_5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

corbin had a MUCH better year than Madbum.

corbin had a 11.1k/9, 2.2 bb/9 with a 2.47 FIP in still a very good hitters park

madbum is coming off 2 major injuries, has a TON of miles on his arm witha 7.6 k/9, and 3 bb/9 and a 3.99 and 3.95 FIP over last 2 years.

i think madbums days are behind him.  if they persue madbum they should wait until July when they know if he is damage goods or not

• Like 1

If Yankees traded for Goldy then they'd be guaranteed just 1-year of his services.  What do they do after that?  Who are the free agents expected to be available for 2020?  That's especially a factor if they can't re-sign him.  Goldy is going to cost a lot in prospect talent for just that 1 year.

On the other hand, there are free agents available like Machado, Harper, etc.  And they would be locked up for years to come.  It's not like the Yankees have a 1-year window to win now.  Other teams with a 1-year window it makes more sense to get a guy like Goldy over signing one of those free agents.

Yankees have a lot of money to spend this offseason and you can expect it.  While I would love Goldschmidt, I don't really see it happening.  

Does Stanton's no trade clause follow with his contract or can the Yankees just trade him after say 4-5 years?

43 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

If Yankees traded for Goldy then they'd be guaranteed just 1-year of his services.  What do they do after that?  Who are the free agents expected to be available for 2020?  That's especially a factor if they can't re-sign him.  Goldy is going to cost a lot in prospect talent for just that 1 year.

On the other hand, there are free agents available like Machado, Harper, etc.  And they would be locked up for years to come.  It's not like the Yankees have a 1-year window to win now.  Other teams with a 1-year window it makes more sense to get a guy like Goldy over signing one of those free agents.

Yankees have a lot of money to spend this offseason and you can expect it.  While I would love Goldschmidt, I don't really see it happening.  

i want NOTHING to do with machado

rather trade for Goldie, sign corbin, happ and even CC.  resign neil walker or try and trade for Scooter Gennett if they cant get goldie.

18 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Kershaw would only cost money as he can opt out after this year.

kershaw isnt opting out

i think Kluber and Paxton are more likely targets for the yanks than kershaw. ive heard indians are interested in dealing Kluber

kershaw isnt opting out

i think Kluber and Paxton are more likely targets for the yanks than kershaw. ive heard indians are interested in dealing Kluber

Send Clint Frazier back :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i want NOTHING to do with machado

rather trade for Goldie, sign corbin, happ and even CC.  resign neil walker or try and trade for Scooter Gennett if they cant get goldie.

What is your problem with Machado?  Just curious

27 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

What is your problem with Machado?  Just curious

his attitude, the way he plays (doesnt hustle, is dirty, throws bats at people...just comes off as a scumbag), hes a me first person/player and that wont change giving him 350 million.  career 822 OPS player and i think hes slightly overrated. 

when didi comes back machado would be the 3rd (or maybe 4th if torryes or heceveria are on the team) best SS on our team. 

then are u DHing andujar and playing stanton in left? i just dont think he fits the team.  if ur signing a bat u sign harper and put him in Left (which i also think is unnecessary) 

our best move is def trade for Goldie or maybe scooter gennett.  in the last 6 years we have had 1 productive year from first base, that was 2015 with tex and bird.  plus it blocks boston from going after Goldie, which i think they might.

then u try ur best to trade for kluber, degrom or any other big pitcher whos available....if not then u go after corbin and Happ and maybe try to acquire madbum in july if hes having a good year and is healthy.  maybe go after robertson or andrew miller for the bullpen.

that should be the yanks offseason IMO

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

I think it's unlikely but I totally agree with you.

what is unlikely?

plus, if andujar cant field they can go after Arenado in 2020

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

what is unlikely?

plus, if andujar cant field they can go after Arenado in 2020

I suppose your predicted chain of events coming to pass. I think Corbin + Machado is more likely than Goldschmidt + big name SP trade.

• Like 1

his attitude, the way he plays (doesnt hustle, is dirty, throws bats at people...just comes off as a scumbag), hes a me first person/player and that wont change giving him 350 million.  career 822 OPS player and i think hes slightly overrated. 

when didi comes back machado would be the 3rd (or maybe 4th if torryes or heceveria are on the team) best SS on our team. 

then are u DHing andujar and playing stanton in left? i just dont think he fits the team.  if ur signing a bat u sign harper and put him in Left (which i also think is unnecessary) 

our best move is def trade for Goldie or maybe scooter gennett.  in the last 6 years we have had 1 productive year from first base, that was 2015 with tex and bird.  plus it blocks boston from going after Goldie, which i think they might.

then u try ur best to trade for kluber, degrom or any other big pitcher whos available....if not then u go after corbin and Happ and maybe try to acquire madbum in july if hes having a good year and is healthy.  maybe go after robertson or andrew miller for the bullpen.

that should be the yanks offseason IMO

Fair enough. I liked when he threw the bat though.  You got a team deliberately throwing fasstballs at your knees while you stand there pretty much defenseless.  Awesome move by him.  And I've never been a fan of him really, but he's a great talent.  Also, Gleyber is not a better SS than him,  They're equally bad.  And its pretty pointless to say some bench player is better defensively than him.

Trading for Goldy is just not happening and it wouldn't make a ton of sense for the Yankees to trade a ton to get him for one year.  Doubt Scooter is moved but its pretty much the same situation..  If they trade it'll likely be for SP only.  There's enough out there in free agency.  They're no longer constrained by luxury tax implications.