IlliniGuy76

Cody Bellinger 2018 Outlook

Reminds me of AGonz when he was with the Padres. He had elite contact skills, but swung at everything. The result was a lot of weak ground balls and easily caught pop ups. He was the only decent hitter on the team so he tried to win games by himself. After a month or so of completely abysmal results, he calmed down and started waiting for something to hit. 

Bellinger will figure this out.

• Like 1

I love the avg so far...love the runs so far...but I kept this youngster for HR and RBI and a handful of SB. Just 2-5-0 as of now. I know he'll get it going, but I'm just ready to see it happen, lol. It's just kinda weird to look at his stat line and realize he's on pace for about 18 HR and 45 RBI. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

I love the avg so far...love the runs so far...but I kept this youngster for HR and RBI and a handful of SB. Just 2-5-0 as of now. I know he'll get it going, but I'm just ready to see it happen, lol. It's just kinda weird to look at his stat line and realize he's on pace for about 18 HR and 45 RBI. Lol. 

Hitting a lot of ground balls so far.  Basically flipped % of ground balls and % of fly balls.  And the fly balls aren't leaving the park like last year- only 10% HR/FB ratio. Fairly high BABIP, too at .358.  Good news is K% is down so far 19.2% vs 26.6% last year.  That was a big concern after last year's playoffs. Probably still just small sample size.  Whole team underperforming.  

Rapier off the CF wall tonight off a lefty. Hitting the ball hard all over the place 

I loved the switching of the hands to avoid being tagged out at second base on his double. He said post game that he learned that trick from watching Trout do it.  B)

Is it just me or does it seem like a sophmore slump is going on here?  Every time I looked up last year he was hitting a dinger. 

6 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Is it just me or does it seem like a sophmore slump is going on here?  Every time I looked up last year he was hitting a dinger. 

He's just not doing that. Sorry you got spoiled with a 40-HR, rookie season that happened in five months. 

He's hitting the ball to all fields, taking walks, laying off bad pitches. The power will come. In bunches. Consider it money on the way if he's on your roster, you are going to move up at some point because of him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

brings up his stats

puts on glasses

.272 / .333 / .446,  116 wRC+

Nope, just you.

Sarcasm aside, obviously those numbers are a step down from his final line last year. But at this time last week he was sitting at .304 / .342 / .464, 123 wRC+. It's still early enough that a few good games could really change his line. The only thing that stands out to me in his profile is that he's hitting a higher percent of ground balls than last year, and more of his flyballs are infield flys for some reason. But it's still pretty cool in LA. When it gets more seasonably California-ish out there, there will be some more dingers. 

3 minutes ago, jrhmr said:

Left game? Any word?

all i've seen so far: 

Bill PlunkettVerified account @billplunkettocr 2m2 minutes ago
MoreCody Bellinger watched that half-inning from the railing in the #Dodgers dugout. Still leaning there. Unless Ross Stripling is also a medical professional, Bellinger is receiving no attention for an injury

some speculating that Roberts benched him for not hustling, but that is not confirmed at all...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

some speculating that Roberts benched him for not hustling, but that is not confirmed at all...

Some as in who? I didn’t hear that on the radio broadcast. 

Edited by HBEACH

Just now, HBEACH said:

twitter---that's why i said not confirmed...just mere speculation...waiting to hear more

9 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

twitter---that's why i said not confirmed...just mere speculation...waiting to hear more

I was watching the game. He didn’t run hard at all on a ball he drove to the deepest part of the park. Could of easily had a triple. I think that could def be the reason he was taken out of the game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HBEACH said:

Ran a possible triple into a double by not going hard out of the box

The lack of hustle would be disappointing if true. Don’t get why Roberts would wait a couple innings to do it he shoulda done it right away woulda made a better statement. 

Edited by HBEACH

2 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Report now that he tweaked something.

From? Thanks 

1 minute ago, WTP333 said:

From? Thanks 

Per RW:

Cody Bellinger was removed from Sunday's game against the Giants with an apparent injury.

It's unclear exactly what occurred, but Bellinger appeared to tweak something while doubling in his final at-bat. He stayed in the game for another couple of innings, but was pinch-hit for the next time he came around. Expect the Dodgers to update his status after Sunday's game.

CBS is reporting an undisclosed injury possibly on the double he hit.  David Vassegh from a Los Angeles sports station is the source.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBrett said:

CBS is reporting an undisclosed injury possibly on the double he hit.  David Vassegh from a Los Angeles sports station is the source.

Thanks for a source. Vassegh is the beat writer for AM570 the Dodgers Station. 

1 minute ago, HBEACH said:

Thanks for a source. Vassegh is the beat writer for AM570 the Dodgers Station. 

All he says is “may have”; has offered nothing definitive yet. Cody could very well be hurt, but there is nothing official. Will have to wait until after the game for Roberts to update. All speculation (whether hurt or lack of hustle) at this point. TBD. 

• Thanks 1

Andy McCullough:

Dave Roberts benched Cody Bellinger for not hustling on his double

”Dave Roberts: “There’s certain expectations about the way we play the game. When you don’t abide by that, we’ll get somebody in there who will.”

Bill Plunket:

#Dodgers  Dave Roberts said he pulled Cody Bellinger for lack of hustle on double to Triples Alley.

Be careful trusting sources too soon. 

Hmmmmm ???

Edited by WTP333
  • Like 1