IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

4 minutes ago, jahweedum said:

Id say to him batting low - it could of been a way to keep the pressure off him a bit as well as keep him just that much more rested with a few less ABs

It was almost certainly to keep the pressure off him, but now with the success he's had and his desire to try to force the team to let him play DH in more games, I wouldn't have an issue with them putting him in a higher pressure spot in the lineup (not just moving him up a spot).

46 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Pretty well documented your best hitter should hit second.  Not sure about the complaint here

Post how many teams in the MLB regularly have their best hitter in the 2nd spot. 

1 hour ago, taobball said:

I have no idea why you have such a distain for Trout hitting 2nd. 

Because it is tremendously stupid?

34 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

It actually makes sense.

He's used to pitching every 7 days in Japan.

Plus the Angels SPs are all young and/or injury prone.  If there was ever a staff with which it makes sense to go to a 6 man rotation it's this one (and perhaps the Mets when Vargas returns assuming Matz pulls it together).

I didn't mean the 6-man rotation part - just each Sunday specifically.  With a 6-man rotation in a week with no off days he'd pitch on the Saturday after a start on a Sunday. Think they'd change the rotation just to keep him on Sunday specifically?  Add a new SP or pitch the Monday starter on regular 5 days rest?

Edited by The Waker

I actually think hitting Trout 2nd makes sense right now - when he gets older and his legs aren't as good you drop to the 3-4 spots.  Right now he is kind of a hybrid 1 and 3 spot hitter imo, so stick him in that two slot!

15 minutes ago, The Waker said:

I didn't mean the 6-man rotation part - just each Sunday specifically.  With a 6-man rotation in a week with no off days he'd pitch on the Saturday after a start on a Sunday. Think they'd change the rotation just to keep him on Sunday specifically?  Add a new SP or pitch the Monday starter on regular 5 days rest?

It is something they'd have to sit down and think about... and I really don't know if they'd be willing to think outside the box enough to do it. 

However, if they are serious about not having him bat the day before and the day after he pitches sticking to a Sunday only schedule would maximize his at bats as there are a number of Monday off days.

5 hours ago, disasterisk said:

Post how many teams in the MLB regularly have their best hitter in the 2nd spot. 

Or you could just read. Start with The Book. Look up any number of fangraphs material written on lineup construction.  

Or continue to make wild claims based on hot takes.  

Kinda messes with people that have just his hitter half.  It was obviously out of anyone's control, but now he'll hit in probably only 3 games (4 tops if they don't pitch him on Sunday).  This week would have worked out perfectly with the day off tomorrow.  Oh well I guess...

On 4/14/2018 at 5:03 AM, WahooManiac said:

Or you could just read. Start with The Book. Look up any number of fangraphs material written on lineup construction.  

Or continue to make wild claims based on hot takes.  

Fantastic way to avoid the question. 

Is it just me, or does the whole "not going to DH the day before and after starts" seem kinda silly? In his early twenties, is 5 AB with maybe 15-25 swings and 250 feet of sprints really going to reduce his effectiveness on the mound the next day? I can see the day after for recovery's sake, maybe. But day before looks unnecessary imo.

2 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

Is it just me, or does the whole "not going to DH the day before and after starts" seem kinda silly? In his early twenties, is 5 AB with maybe 15-25 swings and 250 feet of sprints really going to reduce his effectiveness on the mound the next day? I can see the day after for recovery's sake, maybe. But day before looks unnecessary imo.

This is relatively uncharted territory for an MLB organization. Taking it slow with a guy with this much potential is probably the right idea in their minds. Things will become more clear over the months/years. They are raking the ball w/o him right now, anyway. Of course, we just want to see Ohtani all day every day! Ohtani for MVP!

• Like 1

So... Rotoworld article is saying g sell high. Who is?

37 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

So... Rotoworld article is saying g sell high. Who is?

This 100% comes down to league settings, in my mind. I play in a dynasty where I can utilize both hitting and pitching stats, and have him locked up long term thanks to the rookie draft. In a league like this, there's no way I'm selling based on what we've seen of the upside here. 

In a league where you can't utilize both positions, I could see selling the hitting half. While he's looked excellent at the plate, you won't get a full season worth of ABs, and it's possible you can get an asset in return that could give you full season value. It's possible I would sell the pitching half in a redraft league due to possible innings limit/fatigue concerns, but I would have to be very confident in what I'm getting back provides me with a very high floor the rest of the season. Whether anyone would be willing to give that up is anyone's guess. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, einstein2u said:

so can we get 2 start this week?

Hasn't been confirmed yet but I'd say it's highly doubtful. Ohtani's never pitched on 4 days rest and only has pitched on 5 days rest a few times. Don't think they'll start that now this early into the season with him. I'd imagine the schedule just changes from every Sunday to now every Tuesday he'll start

1 hour ago, Blood Brother said:

Hasn't been confirmed yet but I'd say it's highly doubtful. Ohtani's never pitched on 4 days rest and only has pitched on 5 days rest a few times. Don't think they'll start that now this early into the season with him. I'd imagine the schedule just changes from every Sunday to now every Tuesday he'll start

This is why I thought the start  every Sunday theory was silly.

4 hours ago, The Waker said:

This is why I thought the start  every Sunday theory was silly.

6 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

22 hours ago, einstein2u said:

so can we get 2 start this week?

2-start weeks seem unlikely any time soon. Monday to Sunday on a full week at some point maybe, but definitely not Tuesday/Sunday. From their beat writer: 

As for Ohtani's pitching schedule going forward, nothing is certain, but the #Angels clearly prefer for him to pitch on 6 days rest (maybe 5, certainly not 4), so I'd plan on him pitching on Tuesdays for a while. Likely now pitches in Astros series

37 minutes ago, Danskeren said:

Are you all starting him tonight? 

23 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

does a ursidae defecate in the boreal forest?

I don't know the answer to either of these. 

Is that the point? 

3 hours ago, Danskeren said:

Are you all starting him tonight? 

I'm going to sit this one out.  The Red Sox have been the hottest team during this early part of the season.  Ohtani is eventually going to have a subpar game.  Wouldn't surprise me to see it in this spot.