IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

He even worth owning anymore with the inconsistent playing time?

2 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

He nabbed a sb today but that's about the only positive I have for him.. luckily I don't really need his help but he's definitely frustrating to own with the lack of hitting 

10 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

No DH in San Diego, so not much PT was expected this week.    I believe they go on the road again next week to another NL park, so that sucks.

I wish they wouldn't bench him against lefties.  Does Jeff Marte really need the PT over Ohtani?

Why hasn’t this guy started the recovery clock on his inevitable TJ surgery? 

9 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

The (pitcher) is droppable in re drafts since month ago

If he gets some spot starts in September the hold could pay out big time. If you are a playoff bound team, guys like him, Matt Shoemaker, Victor Robles, etc all got their upside. Just because they got hurt earlier in the year doesnt mean they can't rebound or have a better outlook on their health than originally thought. Robles had an elbow injury earlier and hes been a hot bat since he's rehabbed so who really knows. 

If you need to earn a playoff spot still, then I think your point would hold some truth.

Edited by Corey In Da House
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Corey In Da House said:

If he gets some spot starts in September the hold could pay out big time. If you are a playoff bound team, guys like him, Matt Shoemaker, Victor Robles, etc all got their upside. Just because they got hurt earlier in the year doesnt mean they can't rebound or have a better outlook on their health than originally thought. Robles had an elbow injury earlier and hes been a hot bat since he's rehabbed so who really knows. 

If you need to earn a playoff spot still, then I think your point would hold some truth.

Problem is he is technically not on DL or even NA (like robles) so if league allows those slots you cannot hold him this way. Further, he is playing but its batting so at same time you are holding someone who is playing thus have chances of getting injured even though you only got the pitcher half of him.

2 hours ago, DJSatane said:

Problem is he is technically not on DL or even NA (like robles) so if league allows those slots you cannot hold him this way. Further, he is playing but its batting so at same time you are holding someone who is playing thus have chances of getting injured even though you only got the pitcher half of him.

I'd only roster the Pitching version of this guy if I was to roster him. His Utility bat is nothing compared to the hot streaks that are sitting on the wire.

LAA should just use him as a pitcher. Either that, or pressure the league to change the substitution rules so they could start him as a DH and bring him in to close games lol 

RW is making a return for the fantasy playoffs (SP version) look more and more likely.

7 hours ago, thecomebackkid907 said:

LAA should just use him as a pitcher. Either that, or pressure the league to change the substitution rules so they could start him as a DH and bring him in to close games lol 

There is no rule that you can't do this already.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Right.

Remember- there was the one game where Romo got two outs in relief, switched to 3b, and came back to pitch the 9th to finish the game. Players can move around pretty leniently as long as they don't leave the game. 

Edited by jbj

1 minute ago, jbj said:

Right.

Remember- there was the one game where Romo got outs in relief, switched to 3b, and came back to pitch the 9th to finish the game. Players can move around pretty leniently as long as they don't leave the game. 

Ultimately I think that's where guys like him, Brendan McKay, Hunter Greene end up.  Start the game at DH and then enter the game as a Andrew Miller, Josh Hader type pitcher for 2 or 3 innings.  The drawback would be if other team tied it or went ahead, the pitcher would have to hit the rest of the game.  But if Ohtani is elite as closer, it's maybe 3 or 4 games a year he would blow the save.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Okay cool, wasn't quite sure honestly. 

6 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

But if Ohtani is elite as closer, it's maybe 3 or 4 games a year he would blow the save.

Agreed. They'd be getting the most out of his bat at least for most AL games, and he might be more effective as a closer. Not to mention less potential for injury. NL games he'd be available to close when they need him or pinch hit when they need a lefty.

It just seems like a more productive way to use him and they wouldn't need a 6-man rotation. 

I really hope he doesnt get re injured while pitching for literally nothing this year.

This can be a HUGE waiver wire pick up. ESP for those of us with byes the first round. Hopefully he’s allowed to throw around 90 pitches second time around 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DJSatane said:

I really hope he doesnt get re injured while pitching for literally nothing this year.

I think this is simply a test to see if he needs surgery or not. They aren't pitching him to win. I'm guessing 50 pitches at best but the real question will be if he throws splitters. Most unhittable pitch in mlb history but also the reason why he has this injury. 

If you have him as a hitter, likely won't be in the lineup again until Tuesday at best. Maybe Wed if LHP Minor gets the start for Texas on Tuesday.

Will be interesting to see this start coming up. I'm curious what his velocity will be like and how rusty his location is. 

14 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

This can be a HUGE waiver wire pick up. ESP for those of us with byes the first round. Hopefully he’s allowed to throw around 90 pitches second time around 

I agree with this, except we may have to wait until his 3rd start for 90 pitches, which is perfect for players with first round byes.  Ohtani will probably pitch every Sunday ROS.   I think that’s the plan

For the rest of the season why not try him out as the closer? The Angels then could leave his bat in the lineup then and maybe solve their continual closer problem next year.

• Like 1

Because they aren't trying to win so there really isn't a reason to put him in that position. All they want to know is if he is good to go or if TJ needs to happen. The more  they wait on it, the longer he would potentially be out for. 

Edited by gopackgo555