TheBoatmen

Teoscar Hernandez 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I'm not really understanding why he's hitting leadoff, but I guess the Jays just have a bunch of sluggers on that team. Kind of like the Cubs.

8 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

I'm not really understanding why he's hitting leadoff, but I guess the Jays just have a bunch of sluggers on that team. Kind of like the Cubs.

He his an odd choice for leadoff, but looking back at his stats so far this season, he's been better by far in the first or second spot in the lineup than he has in the middle of it.  Granted the middle of the lineup is a very small sample size in comparison, I'm fine with him batting early in the lineup as long as he produces.

He has cooled off a bit. Do his advanced stats still look good? 

I guess I wasn't paying attention enough to him as this seems surprising to me.

Teoscar Hernandez went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts on Thursday and is hitting .202 with a 22/3 K/BB ratio in 84 at-bats this month.

Hernandez is still often hitting the ball hard when he makes contact, but he's not making enough contact at the moment. If he doesn't turn it around, he might find himself back in Triple-A after Randal Grichuk and Steve Pearce return.

still he has 3 HR and 8 RBI in May.

Robbed by a lot of bad luck.  I'm still a believer.  Not an automatic start any more on my league with a decent bench but still holding.  Hit a Scorching Line Drive against the Angels a few days ago only to be caught by MR Fish.  He's had a lot of warning track shotsand a few doubles off the top of the wall.  Ok true, so will a lot of hitters have some bad luck but I still think there's a hot streak left in him.  he could easily have had 3-4 more Hrs by now making his HR/PA rate much more appealing.

Edited by KingJoffrey

Dalton Pompey recalled.  He is a real threat to Hernández's playing time.  He should be picked up as a cuff.

47 minutes ago, jwblue said:

Dalton Pompey recalled.  He is a real threat to Hernández's playing time.  He should be picked up as a cuff.

In AL-Only leagues, sure. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Too early to cut in shallow leagues?

I'm debating myself.

Hard hit has dropped but is still high at 39%. That swinging strike% is still ugly at 16%. Babip is real normal at .279.

I'd say he is who he is. Avg probably won't get back up that high. His ISO shows he will continue to have a strong Slugging%, so his hits will probably be the XBH variety. But not sure there will be a lot of them.

However, has two favorable ballparks on the schedule next week, Fenway and Comerica. Maybe a hold through next week and then decide.

Edited by High&Inside
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steelers72 said:

Anyone cutting him?

Not yet... 2 run HR on Wednesday bought him a few more days. Gets Detroit "pitching" this weekend, hopefully it gets him back on track.

• Like 1

In a 3 OF league he’s probably a cut. In a 5 OF league I just don’t see it. I look at my wire and it’s a wasteland. Nothing tastier available. 

Teoscar is the 45th ranked OF in standard 5 x 5 on ESPN. That’s even a starter in a 10-teamer. And after what appears to be a cold spell.

So that said I think he’s a clear hold. A chance he warms up again and bounces around between OF35-OF45, which is a starter in deepish leagues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers72 said:

Anyone cutting him?

That depends entirely on league format. 

Everyone is trying to pin down his value on a limited sample size. May was not pretty. April was awesome.

I'm still holding in a 12 team 4 OF league, personally.  His leash is a lot shorter than I expected it to be just a few weeks ago, though.  I benched him for the first time this week and missed out on two solid games so far. 

He might be a drop if he can't pull it together soon though.  I'm willing to see if he is getting some momentum back.  If he puts up duds against Detroit, I think he may be my next cut.

RBI triple last night, just missed the HR by a few feet. He might be heating back up again.

4 hours ago, smeeze said:

RBI triple last night, just missed the HR by a few feet. He might be heating back up again.

I agree, he's worth a hold.  Not sure why people want to jump ship already.  Don't they hear the loud sounds his bat makes?  :) 

Just now, Yceman1234 said:

I agree, he's worth a hold.  Not sure why people want to jump ship already.  Don't they hear the loud sounds his bat makes?  :) 

And the strong breeze when he misses.

• Haha 2