Rotoworld.com Forums

Joey Gallo 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Can somebody explain to me why Ronald Guzman gets all the starts at 1B over Gallo now? Ronald Guzman consistently with 12 HR's, .750 OPS's in the minors in full full seasons. Comes up to the big leagues and hits .220 with a .700 OPS. Yet the manager likes him more than Gallo?? Seriously??? That makes absolutely no sense. Unless Guzman is just the greatest defensive 1B I've ever seen and I am unaware of this?? This is frustrating to know Guzman takes priority over Gallo now. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course it is hyperbole because higher than 80 grade power doesn't exist on paper. 

I really want to own Gallo in my OBP league this year. He was showing improved plate discipline as the year went on last year. His 1st half to 2nd half splits are pretty noticeable. He improved his K/

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Mexi1024 said:

Can somebody explain to me why Ronald Guzman gets all the starts at 1B over Gallo now? Ronald Guzman consistently with 12 HR's, .750 OPS's in the minors in full full seasons. Comes up to the big leagues and hits .220 with a .700 OPS. Yet the manager likes him more than Gallo?? Seriously??? That makes absolutely no sense. Unless Guzman is just the greatest defensive 1B I've ever seen and I am unaware of this?? This is frustrating to know Guzman takes priority over Gallo now. 

Gallo is terrible... hard to really make a case for him. Hits in the .100s and the bombs are fewer and far between. Not walking. Still strikes out like a windmill. It's just not there man. If you got extra points for tape measure shots in real life or fantasy he's your guy, otherwise has no redeeming quality. He's a terrible hitter.

21 hours ago, Mexi1024 said:

Gallo's been playing fairly regularly. So it's not like he's not playing at the expense of Guzman. He did sit yesterday, but likely that's due to his strikeout binge over the weekend. Players who strike out and lot tend to run very hot and cold and Gallo's clearly on the cold side right now. Just seems like a clear the head type rest day. Moving forward, we might see Gallo shift back to 1B. It seemed he went out there due to OF injuries and it was easier to place Gallo in the OF and have Guzman play 1B then replace an outfielder. But I guess we'll see. I don't think Guzman is locked into 1B at bats by any stretch. In fact, Gallo's a pretty good fielder so I suspect he might be better than Guzman.

13 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Gallo is terrible... hard to really make a case for him. Hits in the .100s and the bombs are fewer and far between. Not walking. Still strikes out like a windmill. It's just not there man. If you got extra points for tape measure shots in real life or fantasy he's your guy, otherwise has no redeeming quality. He's a terrible hitter.

The debate is not Gallo. The debate is Gallo vs Guzman. Gallo is who he is, I know that. But Guzman and his ZERO upside background and current state give ZERO debate as to who should be playing over the other. You don't sit a guy who had an .870 OPS, 40 HR's, 80 RBI's, 9 SB's last year and was a top prospect in your system in order to give AB's to some loser who's done NOTHING in AAA and NOTHING in the MLB to this current point with zero upside. That makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, Mexi1024 said:

The debate is not Gallo. The debate is Gallo vs Guzman. Gallo is who he is, I know that. But Guzman and his ZERO upside background and current state give ZERO debate as to who should be playing over the other. You don't sit a guy who had an .870 OPS, 40 HR's, 80 RBI's, 9 SB's last year and was a top prospect in your system in order to give AB's to some loser who's done NOTHING in AAA and NOTHING in the MLB to this current point with zero upside. That makes no sense. 

Wasn’t Guzman a decently hyped prospect? Some pundits were saying he was must own in 12 teams when he homered in his debut in Houston.... I legit don’t know his pedigree 

I saw this week stuffed with righties and thought this would be the week. Nope...just more of the same sludge Gallo has been trowling out all season. Gallo  is totally dropable at this point, we have deep benches and I'm even thinking about it.

the slides continues..... and he currently also holds no trade value given that his .avg and now he's no longer even hitting HRs.....

are people dropping? 

Still hanging in there in a 12-teamer...nothing better on the wire 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Joey Gallo was scratched from the Rangers lineup on Friday after colliding with teammate Delino DeShields in the outfield during batting practice.

Gallo was a little shaken up and dealing with some blurred vision, so the Rangers will play things cautiously and give him the night off. It's not yet clear if he'll have to pass through the concussion protocol before returning.

Wait, so these two guys collided:
Image result for joey galloImage result for delino deshields jr

Jul 6 - 6:43 PM

and GALLO got the worst of it??

?

Image result for confused gif

Edited by RotoGenius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 5 weeks later...

He's on fire right now! Batting average finally creeping up over .200, I've made the comparison before this season but he's "kind of" like a Bryce Harper-lite, minus the BA. But his overall statline is only about .030 pts away from being the same as Bryces, more HRs but less Rs and SBs... 

Crude comparisons aside, he's EXACTLY what we thought he'd be, mucho power with a .200 BA... & he's redhot right now, ride em while u can!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, metropolitans said:

He's on fire right now! Batting average finally creeping up over .200, I've made the comparison before this season but he's "kind of" like a Bryce Harper-lite, minus the BA. But his overall statline is only about .030 pts away from being the same as Bryces, more HRs but less Rs and SBs... 

Crude comparisons aside, he's EXACTLY what we thought he'd be, mucho power with a .200 BA... & he's redhot right now, ride em while u can!

In OBP and SLG leagues instead of AVG like I'm in, I have always considered Gallo a stud and a steal. Got him for $12 dollars in a 14 team big money auction draft cause people get scared. You'd think everyone would know better by now.

• 3 weeks later...

Injured, twisted/sprained his ankle falling down on a swing and had to badly limp to 1b.  Obviously will have to see how serious it is later.

He's been very good recently, hitting something like .330 in August and showing some of the best plate discipline (reflect in O-Swing rates) of his career since the ASB.  The extended slump earlier in the season was rather discouraging since he really was just having very poor at bats, hope he's not too injured just as he's righted the ship.

edit: His post ASB OPS was at 1.115 through this game.

Edited by WinterBall
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, metropolitans said:

s--- really? I just saw he was DTD & the blurb on him didn't sound too bad... That would suck bc this guy's red-hot 

Yea. Gallo did say postgame he plans to play today so we will see. 

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, chud12 said:

This sucks, the injury looked really bad. 

I think saying really bad is a bit of an exaggeration. Anyone who's rolled their ankle knows that right after it happens if you put pressure on it it feels like your ankle is broken. He's likely going to miss a few days and at most I could see a short DL stint. But saying it looked really bad is somewhat misleading. For those that didn't see it take a look at the highlights.

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

I think saying really bad is a bit of an exaggeration. Anyone who's rolled their ankle knows that right after it happens if you put pressure on it it feels like your ankle is broken. He's likely going to miss a few days and at most I could see a short DL stint. But saying it looked really bad is somewhat misleading. For those that didn't see it take a look at the highlights.

I only saw a still shot of the injury and went off of what the beat writers were saying after. So I was just echoing what they said while taking into account what the still shot of the injury looked like. I’ve rolled my ankle many times playing ball and sometimes I couldn’t walk for a month plus right so yea the injury varies very much and Gallo is real lucky.  

Edited by chud12
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
45 minutes ago, checkers said:

Is he ready for opening day?

I found this in a Rangers blog yesterday:

UPDATE — Per the beat guys, Gallo says he would be in the lineup playing through this if it were a regular season game, and he will 100% be in the lineup Opening Day.

• Thanks 1