Fuzzy_Slippers

Gerrit Cole 2018 Outlook

This whole conversation should be moved to Astros 2018 Outlook IMO. While it effects Cole this is more about the team in general.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

MLB tests every player for steroids in spring training and once more during the season at a random time, so how would Morton or anyone be taking steroids and getting away with it?  Especially for a velocity increase that's going on 3 years.

Verlander has always had a top-20 spin rate, and I just showed his velocity was the same in Detroit as it is in Houston.  

If you don't want to be quoted then stop posting things that make no sense and where you're providing zero facts or statistics to back it up.

Haven’t mlb players always gotten away with taking peds lol?? Bonds, Braun, Melky Nellie Cruz, etc. etc never actually failed a test, paper trail f Ed them.  

Edited by chud12

6 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Haven’t mlb players always gotten away with taking peds lol?? Bonds, Braun, Melky Nellie Cruz, etc. etc never actually failed a test, paper trail f Ed them.  

That's because MLB didn't test players until 2005, and they only started because of players like Bonds.  Braun, Melky, Cruz have all been suspended for 50+ games for using them.  A-Rod suspended the whole year? 

Dee Gordon and Marte being suspended 80 games each last year for actual failed test.  Mejia getting caught 3x and is now banned for life?  Doesn't seem to me like there are many, if any, getting away with it these days.  Maybe 'back in the day', but not now that there actually is testing.

Edited by handyandy86

1 minute ago, handyandy86 said:

That's because MLB didn't test players until 2005, and they only started because of players like Bonds.  Braun, Melky, Cruz have all been suspended for 50+ games for using them.  A-Rod suspended the whole year?  Dee Gordon and Marte being suspended 80 games each last year?  Mejia getting caught 3x and is now banned for life?  Doesn't seem to me like there are many, if any, getting away with it these days.  

If you really think no big names are taking peds and only a handful of players are taking and getting caught with peds than I don''t know what to tell you lol. There will always be some scientist creating a new substance that is way ahead of any testing, that is just how it is. Anyone who actually gets caught is just dumb as ishh imo.

• Thanks 1

Man, you guys...

This is a lot of the pot calling the kettle black. Look at Eno Sarris's timeline and articles lately (Athletic paid):

- Pitching Ninja points out Mickey Callaway (Indians Pitching coach in the past) says Pine Tar use is okay.

- Bauer's spin rate goes up massively in his last start. Eno conjectures Bauer used a real life experiment. Bauer responds by saying it's a good article and people should read it.

- Eno says the reason for Cole's increased AVG spin-rate is he's throwing less low spin balls (2-seam) than his 4-seam

MLB players are going to do whatever they can to get an edge. This is going to keep going on. The best defensive catchers (i.e. Yadi) have it slathered all over themselves during games. Bauer's gripe is that they didn't let him use surgical glue to glue his finger closed when it's non sticky and on top of his finger. He wants future pitchers who cut open their fingers messing with drones in the ALCS to be able to glue their skin back together so they don't need to worry about messing with very sharp things before the game of their life -- they can just put their team's game in jeopardy all they want. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

75 k's and it's only the beginning of March?? :o

Even more impressive that he was able to do it before the season even started.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Deke said:

Even more impressive that he was able to do it before the season even started.

Oops, working 80 hours in a week kind of makes you confused sometimes. lol.

His last pitch of the game was clocked at 99.3 MPH which was the fastest pitch he has thrown all season. Dude is a straight up monster.

If she wasn't so hot, I'd want to be Mrs. Gerrit Cole after tonight.  Alas, no way in hell I can compete with that. :D

Good freaking grief, this guy is a monster. Congrats to all those who got a top tier SP in his last year of affordability, straight up dominant

• Like 1

After seeing Paxton K'ing 16 with no win and Houston's bullpen losing the game the night before, Cole took matters into his own hands...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

when did this guy get so good?

He... ummm, yeah... I dunno.  :D

He was really good in 2015, and his spring training made it seem like there was a very good chance of a bounce back season, but I don't think anyone saw this coming (even Cole himself).

Edited by KilloWertz