duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

6 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Nimmo  ain't getting you Realmuto

wasn't that the talk during the winter, that the Mets were not willing to include Nimmo in a trade to get Realmuto?

1 minute ago, SpecialFNK said:

wasn't that the talk during the winter, that the Mets were not willing to include Nimmo in a trade to get Realmuto?

They love nimmo. So much so that they keep bringing in 35 year olds to block him.

19 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

the Mets are in trouble at catcher. d'Arnaud is done and Plawecki has a broken hand.

why have the Mets been so set against trading Nimmo to the Marlins to get Realmuto? Nimmo can't crack the OF with Cespedes, Confonrto, Bruce locked in.

Cespedes and Conforto have not been the poster children for health. We need to have Nimmo as insurance. We have plenty of arms to make a trade. 

Mets have to see Realmuto healthy first before any type of deal is made but i'm sure the fish would be highly interested in somebody like Wheeler for him. It was nice of Wheeler to showcase himself the other night against them. 

3 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Mets have to see Realmuto healthy first before any type of deal is made but i'm sure the fish would be highly interested in somebody like Wheeler for him. It was nice of Wheeler to showcase himself the other night against them. 

Yea I'm sure the Marlins would want a perpetually injured pitcher in Wheeler for him

6 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Yea I'm sure the Marlins would want a perpetually injured pitcher in Wheeler for him

The deal would be Wheeler and possibly SS Andres Gimenez with another top 10 minor league arm. Wheeler was just a starting point because they have such a need for arms and he's still relatively young at 27.  We have Vargas coming off his rehab so we have pitching in abundance to play around with in trades. Marlins don't want Nimmo because the majority of their newly acquired young talent play the OF.  

Edited by bigbluecrew56

23 hours ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

If I was Mets, I'd rather them just get a Wilson Ramos type for virtually nothing instead. They expected nothing offensively out of catcher from the start of the season, so the injuries really aren't a huge blow. With the defense improvement from Nido and Lobaton you can argue Mets actually upgrade in the short term at catcher. Wheeler still has a sky high ceiling, and with Harvey being on his last year as well as unkowns from Vargas and the overall health of the staff, Wheeler is an important guy to keep. Same goes for Nimmo, with Gonzalez / Smith an unkown going forward at 1B. There will also be a pretty good catcher market next free agency (Grandal, Ramos, Suzuki, Maldonado, Lucroy). Would rather just roll with those guys then give up players like Nimmo and Wheeler.

deGrom goes down.  Unfortunate circumstances for a stud arm.  Mets have anyone else in minors who are worth a damn?  Or will Matt Harvey have to pick himself off the club floor and give the Mets his 4-5IP Harvey special?

Seeing AGon start over Nimmo is frustrating....Vargas ducks 

Edited by beauso79

16 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

deGrom goes down.  Unfortunate circumstances for a stud arm.  Mets have anyone else in minors who are worth a damn?  Or will Matt Harvey have to pick himself off the club floor and give the Mets his 4-5IP Harvey special?

They have 3 guys to watch for later on, but they are all 21-22 and might take awhile.

Justin Dunn, David Peterson, and Thomas Szupucki (out with TJ, but will be good).

I like Peterson, but they are taking it slow with him and he is in A ball even though he will be 23 later this year. I think they will move him to AA soon, but I would have liked to see them move him a little be more aggressively.

I think their best bet is moving Gsellman back to starting.  I'm not sure why they gave up on him as a starter so soon, but I would think he could give them more as a starter at this point than what Harvey is giving them.  But they also like Gsellman in the pen and he's giving them quality innings there, so who knows.

• Like 1

Have now gone 6-14 since their 11-1 start and their run differential suggests this is a lot closer to the team they really are than those first two weeks did.

They have arguably the worst farm system in all of MLB. Outside of Conforto their MLB lineup is devoid of any young, exciting talent that you could see forming the nucleus of a winning team over a several year period. Cespedes, their lone star, is always hurt and the Wilpons have shown that they're not willing to go out in FA and consistently spend the money necessary to build a winner.

So as crazy as this may sound on the surface, I really think the only way for them to get out of this organizational rut is to trade either deGrom or Syndergaard. Either one would bring back a fortune and could revitalize that farm system almost immediately. Obviously deGrom is older and closer to FA so it would probably be wiser to sell him, but they really should consider blowing it up and rebuilding that system from the ground up, IMO. I just don't see these aging, piecemeal rosters they throw together every year being able to get it done while those two are on the team anyways, so why not just accelerate the rebuild process by moving your best assets? 

12 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Have now gone 6-14 since their 11-1 start and their run differential suggests this is a lot closer to the team they really are than those first two weeks did.

They have arguably the worst farm system in all of MLB. Outside of Conforto their MLB lineup is devoid of any young, exciting talent that you could see forming the nucleus of a winning team over a several year period. Cespedes, their lone star, is always hurt and the Wilpons have shown that they're not willing to go out in FA and consistently spend the money necessary to build a winner.

So as crazy as this may sound on the surface, I really think the only way for them to get out of this organizational rut is to trade either deGrom or Syndergaard. Either one would bring back a fortune and could revitalize that farm system almost immediately. Obviously deGrom is older and closer to FA so it would probably be wiser to sell him, but they really should consider blowing it up and rebuilding that system from the ground up, IMO. I just don't see these aging, piecemeal rosters they throw together every year being able to get it done while those two are on the team anyways, so why not just accelerate the rebuild process by moving your best assets? 

Not a terrible idea.  Whatever fans they have left will riot.  

They could also get into next years FA fun and make some noise.  If they ever stop pleading poverty and start acting like a team from NY City that is

• Like 1

Rebuild with Sandy Alderson as the GM? All he's got to hang his hat on is Conforto and maybe Nimmo. If they're going to rebuild then they should probably put Minaya back in at GM. Or at the very least install him as the guy who makes draft picks and signs international players. Let someone else sign FA's and make trades. 

I knew that 11-1 start was fools gold. This was the team that I was expecting going in, lousy on offense and defense...

4 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Rebuild with Sandy Alderson as the GM? All he's got to hang his hat on is Conforto and maybe Nimmo. If they're going to rebuild then they should probably put Minaya back in at GM. Or at the very least install him as the guy who makes draft picks and signs international players. Let someone else sign FA's and make trades. 

I knew that 11-1 start was fools gold. This was the team that I was expecting going in, lousy on offense and defense...

Didn't he trade for Noah?

1 minute ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Didn't he trade for Noah?

He did but he thought D'Arnaud was the better prospect.. he was lucky..

31 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

He's pretty bad at talent evaluation. They should have a decent farm system with all the recent losing in the past 10 years.

He has made some decent trades, but he's also made some questionable signings.  I think his approach to building a team is flawed though.

It's based on quality pitching and OBP with HRs.  And offense like that can be shut down and if you're pitchers aren't giving quality starts you're pretty much screwed.

• Like 2

So you guys don’t like Alonso?

26 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

He's pretty bad at talent evaluation. They should have a decent farm system with all the recent losing in the past 10 years.

He has made some decent trades, but he's also made some questionable signings.  I think his approach to building a team is flawed though.

It's based on quality pitching and OBP with HRs.  And offense like that can be shut down and if you're pitchers aren't giving quality starts you're pretty much screwed.

I hate the way he builds his lineups. Slow, with essentially zero athleticism. When it’s going bad it’s painfully boring to watch. Sports teams need to be good or at least entertaining and other than the two out of five days deGrom and Syndergaard are on the mound the Mets currently are neither.

7 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I hate the way he builds his lineups. Slow, with essentially zero athleticism. When it’s going bad it’s painfully boring to watch. Sports teams need to be good or at least entertaining and other than the two out of five days deGrom and Syndergaard are on the mound the Mets currently are neither.

I found Harvey’s starts quite entertaining - from a fantasy standpoint

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

I found Harvey’s starts quite entertaining - from a fantasy standpoint

When he was good? Or now so you could laugh at him?

3 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

When he was good? Or now so you could laugh at him?

Ha!  Honestly both, for different reasons!  (More for purposes of streaming hitters against him of late.)

Edited by BMcP

7 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Sandy definitely has to go before any major rebuild is begun.

Epic rant.

If you're not familiar with Mike you may balk at the duration -- fwiw I linked the vid to start when the Mets rant begins -- but this is pure gold.