duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Wow... that is.. I didn't even know that was possible.. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Rainy day With 2 outs in bottom the ninth of a 12-1 game. The game was paused so the infield could be manicured. Interesting strategy. 

1 minute ago, DidiFan said:

Rainy day With 2 outs in bottom the ninth of a 12-1 game. The game was paused so the infield could be manicured. Interesting strategy. 

Injury risk

Yikes this is a tough team to watch. It's too bad because I like Calloway. He seems like a smart cat. But look what he's working with. 

Speaking of watching them. I'm coming in to see them from Toronto on Saturday. Chatwood VS Wheeler. Marquee game!

On 5/16/2018 at 3:56 PM, CuredMeats said:

They stink.

They are and always have been the Yankees illegitimate step children.

I made a prediction in 2002 that as long as the Wilpons own the team they won't win a WS.

Not exactly a bold prediction, but 16 years and counting it's correct.

• Thanks 1

Career backup catcher Kevin Plawecki hitting cleanup today. 

The Mets should have Cespedes, Frazier, Flores, Lageras, D'arnaud and Cabrera locked and loaded for this game vs the lefty, Lester.

Alas, the first five guys are injured, the last two for the season, and the 32-year-old Cabrera is getting a day off after playing 14 innings last night (and being counted on to carry the offense).

15 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

It's getting ugly folks.

Is Mickey C. on the hot seat?

Jose Reyes still has a job purely for nostalgia. So probably not yet. 

42 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

It's getting ugly folks.

Is Mickey C. on the hot seat?

Mets too cheap to eat the rest of the contract.

• Like 1

Any talk of Familia getting moved?  Outside of their SP, might be the only asset they can try and get something of value for.

7 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Any talk of Familia getting moved?  Outside of their SP, might be the only asset they can try and get something of value for.

"Get value"

Heh

How about making a good trade for a change? For, say, Asdrubal, get a minor leaguer that turns out to be something.

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2018 at 4:50 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Forget relievers.  Speaking of their starters:

Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reported that the Mets will consider listening to trade offers for both Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard if they fall out of playoff contention

Okay this is the first time I heard that they might decide to move their two pitching stars.  And they really are already out of contention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Forget relievers.  Speaking of their starters:

Okay this is the first time I heard that they might decide to move their two pitching stars.  And they really are already out of contention.

If I'm the Red Sox, I'm doing whatever it takes to get one of those pitchers. Maybe move Devers / JBJ etc 

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reported that the Mets will consider listening to trade offers for both Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard if they fall out of playoff contention

I guess I'll buy that they will "consider listening" (lol think about that for a second) to trade offers, but I'm not buying the Wilpon's will ever sign off on a deal that sends deGrom or Syndergaard packing, unless it's a massive overpay with MLB-proven premier young talent (eg, Acuna, Torres) (which we know will never happen).

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I guess I'll buy that they will "consider listening" (lol think about that for a second) to trade offers, but I'm not buying the Wilpon's will ever sign off on a deal that sends deGrom or Syndergaard packing, unless it's a massive overpay with MLB-proven premier young talent (eg, Acuna, Torres) (which we know will never happen).

No, they want to sell tickets first and foremost. Even jaded fans will pay to go see deGrom because he’s great and will give you your money’s worth. I’m not even advocating or arguing against a trade of that magnitude but it’s important to realize the ultimate goal isn’t about winning and putting the best possible team on the field when discussing the Mets. It may have been at one time but it’s not right now.

Wanna hear a crazy stat?

In May -- yes all of May, 29 games -- the Mets got the following production out of clean-up / 4th spot in their lineup:

.208/.286/.245

0 HR

3 RBI

How is that even possible?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mets fans

If the yankees called the mets up and offered Andujar, Frazier, and maybe another decent prospect like Abreu, would you trade DEgrom?

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

Mets fans

If the yankees called the mets up and offered Andujar, Frazier, and maybe another decent prospect like Abreu, would you trade DEgrom?

If I'm the Mets I take that deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Mets fans

No Torres, no DeGrom

Just now, duke of queens said:

No Torres, no DeGrom

torres is untouchable.

and that attitude is why the  mets stink