Fuzzy_Slippers

Manny Machado 2018 Outlook

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

where will Manny hit in the Dodgers lineup? it looks like the Dodgers haven't had a consistent leadoff hitter, so would Manny hit 1st followed by something like Muncy/Turner/Kemp/Bellinger?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/manny-machado-trade-why-dodgers-best-lineup-option-may-include-puig-turner-in-a-leadoff-platoon/

Pretty interesting read.  I doubt Manny will bat leadoff.  

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

where will Manny hit in the Dodgers lineup? it looks like the Dodgers haven't had a consistent leadoff hitter, so would Manny hit 1st followed by something like Muncy/Turner/Kemp/Bellinger?

Jason Martinez of MLBTR suggested this lineup, yesterday (Not sure I agree with it.):

"1. Joc Pederson, LF   2. Justin Turner, 3B   3. Manny Machado, SS   4. Cody Bellinger, 1B   5. Matt Kemp, RF   6. Max Muncy, 2B   7. Yasmani Grandal, C   8. Chris Taylor, CF"

Someone asked if this means Puig becomes a bench bat and he responded:

"Looks that way. Joc Pederson and Chris Taylor have both been really good over the past 2 months. Not sure they would go away from Pederson-Taylor-Kemp."

Not sure about the past 2 months thing, but over the past 3 weeks, Pederson and Taylor have slashed .174/.269/.370 and .242/.296/.424, respectively. So I'd say there's some wiggle to that proposed lineup. Especially since Joc has proven to be more of a platoon hitter.

Edit: For perspective, Puig has slashed .310/.333/.621 over the same 3 week span. Of course, that includes last week which he missed entirely, but he seems to have had the hotter hand.

Edited by Halo Fan

18 minutes ago, checkers said:

is he going to play this week?

By this week, do you mean this weekend?  Or like next week?  I would think he will play.  I'm sure he is already in LA at this point, and it's not like football where you have to learn a playbook or anything.

2 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

By this week, do you mean this weekend?  Or like next week?  I would think he will play.  I'm sure he is already in LA at this point, and it's not like football where you have to learn a playbook or anything.

I hope he isn't in LA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I hope he isn't in LA. 

Whoops lol yeah they are @MIL.  Well you knew what I meant :P

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

It’s pretty unlikely he gets 20 games at 3rd base the rest of the year, so I doubt he qualifies at 3B next year. It’ll probably take a while to get to 3B elig this year. 

What platform requires 20 games at a position?  Curious.  The two most popular/populated platforms by light years -- ESPN and Yahoo -- each require 10 "appearances" or, in Yahoo's case, 5 starts will do too.  And the 5 starts 99 times out of 100 happen first on Yahoo before "appearances." 

And on both platforms and others as well he already has 3B eligibility here in 2018 carried over from last year.  The starts/appearances in 2018 are just to carry it over to 2019 seamlessly is all.

About when he starts?  I assume in his first game with the Dodgers tomorrow.  Most everyday players when traded start right away so why should he be different.  He even had an off day today to travel unlike most traded players.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

34 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What platform requires 20 games at a position? 

About when he starts?  I assume in his first game with the Dodgers tomorrow.  Most everyday players when traded start right away so why should he be different.  He even had an off day today to travel unlike most traded players.

Both of my CBS leagues are 20. I’m skeptical he even gets to 10 the rest of the year. 

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What platform requires 20 games at a position?  Curious.  The two most popular/populated platforms by light years -- ESPN and Yahoo -- each require 10 "appearances" or, in Yahoo's case, 5 starts will do too.  And the 5 starts 99 times out of 100 happen first on Yahoo before "appearances." 

And on both platforms and others as well he already has 3B eligibility here in 2018 carried over from last year.  The starts/appearances in 2018 are just to carry it over to 2019 seamlessly is all.

ESPN requires 20 appearances for next seasons eligibility.  10 gets it for this season, 20 for next.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Au6294tx said:

ESPN requires 20 appearances for next seasons eligibility.  10 gets it for this season, 20 for next.

Thanks.  Glad I'm on Yahoo because that's rough.

Playing SS and batting second tonight. No Joc becuase of the lefty on the mound, but Kike is playing tonight.

LF  Chris Taylor (R)

SS  Manny Machado (R)

3B  Max Muncy (L)

RF  Matt Kemp (R)

CF  E. Hernandez (R)

1B  Cody Bellinger (L)

2B  Logan Forsythe (R)

C  Austin Barnes (R)

P  Rich Hill (L)

Manny Machado will be the Dodgers' everyday third baseman while Justin Turner (groin) is sidelined.

Machado is making his first start of the second at third base Monday. It's unclear at this point how long Turner will be out, but it's looking like Machado will have a good chance to retain eligibility at two positions next season. Chris Taylor is back at shortstop Monday, with Max Muncy at first base and Cody Bellinger in center field.

this is great for fantasy. Machado will go into next season with eligibility at SS and 3B again.

*rotoworld actually has "first start of the second at third base". obviously they mean season.

Edited by SpecialFNK
  • Like 1

I was curious what you think about him ROS with LAD. Moving to the NL and hitting 2nd, not sure how that will impact his numbers especially RBI opportunities. Looks like LAD ranks 7 or 8th in the league in runs scored. He's been on pace for one of his best seasons and in BAL he usually hit 3rd, I don't know where he will hit ROS with LAD. Roberts mentioned he could also be put in the 3 spot, however sounded more like they want him hitting 2nd and maybe occasionally hit 3rd, I don't know.  

You guy's think hitting 2nd will be good or bad for his numbers ROS  ?

25 minutes ago, tonywow said:

I was curious what you think about him ROS with LAD. Moving to the NL and hitting 2nd, not sure how that will impact his numbers especially RBI opportunities. Looks like LAD ranks 7 or 8th in the league in runs scored. He's been on pace for one of his best seasons and in BAL he usually hit 3rd, I don't know where he will hit ROS with LAD. Roberts mentioned he could also be put in the 3 spot, however sounded more like they want him hitting 2nd and maybe occasionally hit 3rd, I don't know.  

You guy's think hitting 2nd will be good or bad for his numbers ROS  ?

2nd if he runs, 3rd if they don't have him stealing much

Machado is definitely going to miss Camden Yards; those home/road splits speak for themselves.

Also, I think an underrated part of Machado's fantasy value was how terrible the Orioles were.  Sure, he had a weak lineup around him, but when the Orioles were down 8-1 every game, pitchers weren't pitching around him and gave him a lot of pitches he could hit knowing that it would make no difference in the outcome of the game.  Obviously it's not Machado's fault at all that the Orioles stunk so bad, but still he was the absolute king of garbage time fantasy production this year.

Edited by FootballFan101

On 8/3/2018 at 4:45 PM, rasto21585 said:

In yahoo leagues, will he qualify for 3b next year?

Yes he has re-qualified in Yahoo at 3B for 2019.  He only needed 5 starts  (GS) at 3B (or 10 appearances) for that and he already has 10 starts there.  Baseball Reference (in the Standard Fielding table) is your friend for any and all players this way.  Here is Manny's page.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/machama01.shtml

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

40 minutes ago, cjw3 said:

Is Manny 3B eligible in ESPN leagues next year after playing 10 games at 3rd?

In ESPN he needs 10 for same season, 20 for the next season. Surely he'll get 20 right?

6 hours ago, street sharks said:

In ESPN he needs 10 for same season, 20 for the next season. Surely he'll get 20 right?

Justin Turner is back now to play 3B every day now so it is iffy for ESPN I guess.