Bastardo!

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

41 minutes ago, Bastardo! said:

I've played fantasy football way too long to overreact to one game.  

I am concerned about Trubisky though.

Exactly.  Trubisky will be fine.  He'll get it figured out, but he'll need Treyning Wheels to do it.

• Like 2

It was the first game in a new offense and as others have mentioned they had limited snaps during preseason. The offense looked great early and then sputtered late when Nagy tried to run out the clock on Aaron Rodgers. 

Nagy saw enough of Trubisky in camp to think he was ready to break out without the need of many preseason game reps. The game script changed once the Bears got out to a big lead and they thought Rodgers was not going to return and then saw Rodgers hobbled in the second half. Once they took their foot off the gas they weren't able to get back into a rhythm later in the game. 

They are playing the Seahwaks who gave up 330 and 3 Tds to Keenum (only sacked 1 time) who actually looked pretty shaky on some of his throws/ints  so the Seahawks defense isn't something I am overly worried about especially on the road. 

• Like 1

As someone who has watched the film multiple times now, why exactly does Trubisky get so much blame for this game in regards to Burton exactly? In 5 targets I think Burton had a Reception, a Drop, and a non-called DPI. There were two "bad" throws, but based on the routes they both looked more like miscommunications. Trubisky threw one on Burton's break to his Right, Burton broke left, and on another play Trubisky threw the route more like an IN and Burton ran it more like a Hitch. 

Idk. I have a very long Bears game analysis I'm working on. Trubisky did some things poorly in Week 1. He also made far more good plays than it seems literally anyone is willing to give him credit for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Onyx said:

This image says a lot about last week...

Dm1HVlvUUAALUdN?format=jpg&name=small

Well Damn. lol. This reminds me of the notorious Trich 2.0 running lanes that he used to miss. Memories. Definitely don't want to see this on tape LMAO. TRich would have went right by the way lol.

Edited by nonstopfan

Just now, nonstopfan said:

Well Damn. lol. This reminds me of the notorious Trich 2.0 running lanes that he used to miss. Memories. Definitely don't want to see this on tape LMAO.

It's very misleading. It's an option throw back. Go to the Trubisky thread, even Scott Van Pelt made an entire new segment on his show called something like "Simmer down Twitter," where they analyzed the play and determined that it was a pretty risky throw. It's also an option concept that isn't supposed to work at all like this. It's supposed to go to Cohen or Gabriel on either flat. It's a terrible play design my Nagy more than anything. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Onyx said:

This image says a lot about last week...

Dm1HVlvUUAALUdN?format=jpg&name=small

There's like 5 pages of analysis of this exact image in this thread...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, taobball said:

Maybe burton shouldn't drop the opportunities he gets then.

https://ibb.co/nCpGVU

So your argument is that because he dropped a pass with two defenders around him, Trubisky should avoid throwing to him when he is WIDE open in the end zone? Brilliant strategy.

Edited by Onyx

Just now, Onyx said:

So your argument is that because he dropped a pass with two defenders around him, Trubisky should avoid throwing to him when he is WIDE open in the end zone? Brilliant strategy.

Regular speed...

ullspeed.gif

He's not as open and it seems. Trubisky's back is to the play, and by the time he sees Burton he's not ready to make a throw. This is a 25 yard pass roughly because Burton is in teh back of the end zone and Clinton Dix is already breaking on the ball. This is a much tighter window than it seems. You're literally running the play in FAST motion, and it is DESIGNED to go to either Cohen or Gabriel. Burton is not supposed to even be really anything but a flow receiver to get the defense going the other way. The play broke a way it wasn't supposed to, and instead of making a potential Turnover happen Mitch took the safer throw.

I literally broke this down in teh past two pages. You can believe what you want. 

Again, since peopel don't care what i have to say, here's Scott Van Pelt on Twitter having this same argument: 

SVP: The man to his left is ha ha clinton dix who is sprinting. Burton settles where he is. Trubisky is 20 yards away and not yet set to throw.

Not - SVP So he can’t throw on the run? Is that not a skill any NFL QB should have? That’s a wide open touchdown missed. He’s young so hopefully he learns from it but come on SVP you’re better than this

SVP: This picture implies something. You can't grasp that it's not true. The route was a throw back to his left. Burton wasn't his read. By the time you see this image, to throw to Burton, the ball needs to be out. It's not. Ha ha is sprinting and Burton settles into a spot.

Believe what you will. I had the same thought watching film as SVP. I've watched the game film of every single bears play three times, and am working on a full breakdown with positives  and negatives for Trub. This play is not a very big negative. It's more of a negative because nagy designed  a s--- play. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, taobball said:

He's not as open and it seems. Trubisky's back is to the play, and by the time he sees Burton he's not ready to make a throw. This is a 25 yard pass roughly because Burton is in teh back of the end zone and Clinton Dix is already breaking on the ball. This is a much tighter window than it seems. You're literally running the play in FAST motion, and it is DESIGNED to go to either Cohen or Gabriel. Burton is not supposed to even be really anything but a flow receiver to get the defense going the other way. The play broke a way it wasn't supposed to, and instead of making a potential Turnover happen Mitch took the safer throw.

I literally broke this down in teh past two pages. You can believe what you want. 

Again, since peopel don't care what i have to say, here's Scott Van Pelt on Twitter having this same argument: 

SVP: The man to his left is ha ha clinton dix who is sprinting. Burton settles where he is. Trubisky is 20 yards away and not yet set to throw.

Not - SVP So he can’t throw on the run? Is that not a skill any NFL QB should have? That’s a wide open touchdown missed. He’s young so hopefully he learns from it but come on SVP you’re better than this

SVP: This picture implies something. You can't grasp that it's not true. The route was a throw back to his left. Burton wasn't his read. By the time you see this image, to throw to Burton, the ball needs to be out. It's not. Ha ha is sprinting and Burton settles into a spot.

Believe what you will. I had the same thought watching film as SVP. I've watched the game film of every single bears play three times, and am working on a full breakdown with positives  and negatives for Trub. This play is not a very big negative. It's more of a negative because nagy designed  a s--- play. 

Relax, John Madden.  We all saw your novel earlier :lol:

Just now, ludawg23 said:

Relax, John Madden.  We all saw your novel earlier :lol:

I'm always relaxed, just wanna keep the narrative consistent: Burton wasn't held down by Trubisky in this game IMO. 

11 hours ago, thebadferret said:

Just picked him up via waivers because the previous owner wasn't happy as it seems. I hope the longer the season go the more trust we can put into Trubisky.

That is one foolish move after one week considering where that owner drafted Burton.

I am a proud owner X3 and I am not happy and no way am I going to drop Trey after one week. I 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

I'm always relaxed, just wanna keep the narrative consistent: Burton wasn't held down by Trubisky in this game IMO. 

I sure hope you are right with Trubisky & Burton 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

That is one foolish move after one week considering where that owner drafted Burton.

I am a proud owner X3 and I am not happy and no way am I going to drop Trey after one week. I 

I sure hope you are right with Trubisky & Burton 

The Bears had a lot of success early attacking the Flats and the Outside. Late in the game, the Packers played that more heavily, but the Bears didn't attack the middle. And there's a few times on the tape I've watched that I'll point out in the Bears thread later today where the Middle of the Field is just completely open and Burton is running some sort of deep outside post. I think they'll see that in film and realize they need to have Burton running more middle routes to off-set the way Cohen, Howard, and AR were used in the offense. 

And again, on one deep route he had a pretty bad DPI no call. 

41 minutes ago, taobball said:

The play probably wasn't designed for Burton to be the initial read, but Trubisky should have thrown it to Burton. There is no need to set when his momentum is already carrying him in the direction Burton is throwing. It wouldn't have been a thrown across his body. It would have been a throw on the run in the direction he was rolling out from initially.

And Burton is a read on the way that play is designed. Maybe he could have been the 1st read, but I have no idea. Missed opportunity in my opinion. Trubisky looked awful after the 1st quarter in week 1.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

The play probably wasn't designed for Burton to be the initial read, but Trubisky should have thrown it to Burton. There is no need to set when his momentum is already carrying him in the direction Burton is throwing. It wouldn't have been a thrown across his body. It would have been a throw on the run in the direction he was rolling out from initially.

And Burton is a read on the way that play is designed. Maybe he could have been the 1st read, but I have no idea. Missed opportunity in my opinion. Trubisky looked awful after the 1st quarter in week 1.

What do you mean probably not? It's a roll out option. He's staring down Cohen for the first half of the play. 

I've watched the play multiple times. It isn't an easy throw, and he doesn't get to see the field for a long time. Go back to my post where I watch Trubisky's eyes. Trubisky can't know Burton is going to be open like that because he doesn't see anything that's happening on 75% of the play. And it's not a short throw either. He's not set, because he's not tryign to go to the middle, he's trying to turn around and get Gabriel. By the time he sees it, he needs to throw it and he also can't risk a bad mechanical throw in a tight area. If that's not a perfect throw, haha can take the INT.

I just don't agree, and I've had plenty of support from analysts and even got an ESPN segment to support me, so I'm fine with my stance on this play. 

I also don't at all agree trubisky looked awful after the first quarter. I've watched the game film three times now and the Coach's film. In a few minutes it'l be posted on the Chi Bears Outlook thread, so if you want to actually debate points of the final three quarters of that game we can. 

Im not saying Trubisky played great. He made some plays and he missed osme plays. But his play is not NEARLY what many are making it out to be on this forum .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fruitjacket said:

:unsure:

He needs to make the throw when Burton is first coming out of his break, otherwise Haha has a bead on the route and, unless Trubisky throws a laser (like he did to ARob at another point - an elite throw), there's a 50/50 chance it gets picked off.

Watch the video a couple times.

If Burton isn't his first or second read there, he'll see him too late to make it work.

Edit: I don't agree with everything said by Tao, but on this play he's correct.  It's the kind of throw Brett Favre would make - and get it picked off half the time.

Edited by SadFaceHappy

I'm starting this week and hoping for the best. I don't have any other option anyway considering he's my only TE and no one close on waivers.

Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright are both confirmed out on Monday. I wasn't planning on starting him until i saw this. Might have to fire him up. They will be starting Kendricks at MLB it appears on a short week for his preparation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kingdavid206 said:

Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright are both confirmed out on Monday. I wasn't planning on starting him until i saw this. Might have to fire him up. They will be starting Kendricks at MLB it appears on a short week for his preparation.

With this news I might rethink my decision to bench Trey. God damnit 

It’s only one game, I might have made a mistake in putting too much faith in Mitch 

36 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

With this news I might rethink my decision to bench Trey. God damnit 

It’s only one game, I might have made a mistake in putting too much faith in Mitch 

Same I had him out of all of my lineups. Now I feel like if it doesn't happen this week for Burton, then will it ever? haha

Trey Boo Boo will be lights out Monday night.  Chicago never falters in primetime games!  Jokes aside if you drafted Trey as your single TE, I don't see how you cannot play him unless your league still had Kittle somehow on the waivers.  Who would you stream ahead?  Exactly...Play Trey.

Burton is going to be that player who’s dropped early on and then heats up when no one cares about him