Bastardo!

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

18 minutes ago, herschel said:

ertz has yet to play a game when he has gotten less than 10 targets in a game.  i dont think we see one game this year where burton sees that many targets.  i could be wrong, but i just dont think the ertz comparison is a good one for burton.

I said I think his talent is the same. He was an easy fill in last year when Ertz went down. And in the preseason, they were all over Burton with targets...which is why we're all on board.

I think the Bears offense is still too young to know what direction they are going with, At least yesterday, Mitch was spreading the ball around a lot more than just being focused on A-Rob.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FooserX said:

I said I think his talent is the same. He was an easy fill in last year when Ertz went down. And in the preseason, they were all over Burton with targets...which is why we're all on board.

I think the Bears offense is still too young to know what direction they are going with, At least yesterday, Mitch was spreading the ball around a lot more than just being focused on A-Rob.

i get it, but i disagree.  the bears defense is one of the best in the league, and the bears will win games by game management and controlling the clock.  im fairly confident this is the way their team was built and there is no reason to all of a sudden throw the ball 40+ times per game.  it would be great for that to happen, but i wouldnt count on it....

Just now, herschel said:

i get it, but i disagree.  the bears defense is one of the best in the league, and the bears will win games by game management and controlling the clock.  im fairly confident this is the way their team was built and there is no reason to all of a sudden throw the ball 40+ times per game.  it would be great for that to happen, but i wouldnt count on it....

At this point in the season - who is on the WW that's better?

Macdonald? Brate? James? Jenkins?

5 minutes ago, FooserX said:

At this point in the season - who is on the WW that's better?

Macdonald? Brate? James? Jenkins?

im not dropping him nor did i suggest that.  as has been discussed previously, TE is a wasteland this year and burton is as much of a crapshoot as anyone.  im just trying not to project him for more than he is....

Kelce and Ertz are the only TEs that have demonstrated to be positional nightmares so far. They’ll win you that position 8/10 weeks.

Everyone else is bleh. As mentioned, Burton isn’t much worse than anyone else considering the state of the position.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Kelce and Ertz are the only TEs that have demonstrated to be positional nightmares so far. They’ll win you that position 8/10 weeks.

Everyone else is bleh. As mentioned, Burton isn’t much worse than anyone else considering the state of the position.

Kittle because of volume, talent, and QB rapport

• Like 1

Just unloaded all of my Jordan Reed stock. All in on Burton now as my guy going forward. 

Thoughts on performance thus far? He seems to be the #2 pass catcher at blind eye but is trailing Taylor Gabriel significantly.

5bbcf9a19aa15_ScreenShot2018-10-09at11_54_56AM.png.f1aa68cb4081c80be569d2296e15f574.png

I don't think we can count on that changing. I just wish they made an effort to feature him more. His floor is lower than I expected it to be. 

There's no telling what this kind of performance, and the invaluable bond this pair shared on another opening-game TD drive, can do for the burgeoning relationship between the Bears' young QB1 and TE1. We already can tell why Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy prioritized the signing of Burton, who is already making Trubisky and the Bears' offense more dangerous and difficult to defend.

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/10/01/2-play-sequence-sunday-helps-illustrate-burgeoning-relationship-of-bears-trubisky-burton/as9t7ua/

5 hours ago, Griffin_Morrow said:

Just unloaded all of my Jordan Reed stock. All in on Burton now as my guy going forward. 

Thoughts on performance thus far? He seems to be the #2 pass catcher at blind eye but is trailing Taylor Gabriel significantly.

5bbcf9a19aa15_ScreenShot2018-10-09at11_54_56AM.png.f1aa68cb4081c80be569d2296e15f574.png

I don't think we can count on that changing. I just wish they made an effort to feature him more. His floor is lower than I expected it to be. 

I like Burton but the Bears great defense will hurt him some. Rather than getting a full game of passing, might get a lot of end of game situations where the Bears run out the clock.

Edited by LionKid90

10 hours ago, LionKid90 said:

I like Burton but the Bears great defense will hurt him some. Rather than getting a full game of passing, might get a lot of end of game situations where the Bears run out the clock.

lol at run the clock, tell that to the Jordan Howard owners of the world

• Like 1

3 hours ago, n4sa said:

lol at run the clock, tell that to the Jordan Howard owners of the world

Howard owner checking in to confirm.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Same amount of receptions as Marshawn Lynch since the start of week 2... that's bull crap.... both have gotten 10....

1 minute ago, hard1 said:

Same amount of receptions as Marshawn Lynch since the start of week 2... that's bull crap.... both have gotten 10....

Least Mode

:(

• Haha 1

If you start him each and every game all season long, he will give you mid TE1 numbers. He isn't a target hog by any means, but a threat for long gains and to score some TDs along the way. Hence they already gave him at least one rushing attempt (!) and threw him a shovel pass down at the goal line. What more you can ask? Predictably he didn't turn into Kelce 2.0, but he's much better than streaming TEs.

13 minutes ago, frog34 said:

If you start him each and every game all season long, he will give you mid TE1 numbers. He isn't a target hog by any means, but a threat for long gains and to score some TDs along the way. Hence they already gave him at least one rushing attempt (!) and threw him a shovel pass down at the goal line. What more you can ask? Predictably he didn't turn into Kelce 2.0, but he's much better than streaming TEs.

Yesss what more could we ask for?<_<

9 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Yesss what more could we ask for?<_<

4 minutes ago, patsspytech said:

Njoku’s 11 targets?

Brate with Jameis returning and Howard wif a bum knee, on a team featuring a putrid defense which leads to shootouts? 

jus' sayin'

• Like 1

So far this season the bears haven't really faced any teams with shut down shadow corners and overall have played some weak CB teams. I think the rest of the season matchups have a lot of scary corners that I would anticipate to shadow Arob. Think this would totally shift the gameplan in Burtons favor.

Heres his ROS schedule:

Miami - Howard

NE

NYJ

Buf - White

Det - Slay

Min - Rhodes

Det - Slay

NYG - Jenkins

Rams - Talib and Peters

GB

SF

That looks like tough matchups for Arob in 7 of 11 games, I would be surprised if we don't see a sizeable increase in target share for burton in each of those games.  I am excited to see what Burton can do ROS.

• Like 3

Talib is on IR bro

not that that changes your overall point, just sayin

Edited by lolcopter

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Talib is on IR bro

They put him on IR after week 3 and 8 weeks out would have him eligible to return in week 12, they play the rams week 14. The also have peters. Either way it really doesnt change my point that Arob has difficult matchups in most of the remaining games.

• Like 2

i own burton and the td's are keeping him afloat.. the 2-20 game is definitely coming.. so is the 5-110-1 game.. but the floor seems like it could be low on this guy.  

I think he's about to hit his stride here against the pats.. should be a close to the line of scrimmage game script lots of howard and burton and keep the ball away from brady

Edited by hard1

On 10/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, frog34 said:

He also is capable of throwing for a TD! 

I think he will not live up to preseason expectations when there was hype about 1,000 yards. Of course if you drafted him you drafted him at a low-end TE1 price with potential upside. The latter doesn't look like it is happening but he is living up to his draft cost on a per game basis and will be even better considering he has stayed healthy while several of those drafted ahead of him have missed significant time.

I would not move away from him for a streamer but would do so for a player getting more targets like Njoku. If you have dead weight you can consider picking up Njoku (start over him this week imo) or Howard (for theoretical upside down the stretch) but if you are "stuck" with Burton, and the only alternative is streaming scrubs, that is not a terrible place to be.

Only game(other than week 1) where I actually feel good about firing him up. There should be plenty of passing in this one. Let's hope.