Bastardo!

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, frog34 said:

Shaheen picked up a concussion on that 2 pt conversion. 2nd concussion in 2 years, and couldn't stay healthy otherwise as well. Shaheen was picked as a TE in an OL body for the John Fox ground and pound offense. He is quite athletic for his size, but nothing like Burton, who is a perfect match for Nagy's spread offense. Btw Shaheen is very raw coming from a small schoolI. Bottom line, I'd be much more worried about Burton's usage than Shaheen. That said, Nagy usually makes the effort to get Burton involved, especially in the redzone. Weeks like that happen to all TEs, even to Kelce and Ertz.

Needed this, thank you ūüĎĆ

Thoughts on game this week if Trubisky sits?  Emergency valve dump off special or keep him on the line for extra pass protection?

5 minutes ago, herschel said:

Thoughts on game this week if Trubisky sits?  Emergency valve dump off special or keep him on the line for extra pass protection?

Wondering the same thing myself.  I am tempted to grab Brate off the wire just in case.  Really don't want to get another goose egg out of my TE spot.  

Four straight games with less than five targets and now possibly losing his starting qb.  Time to jump ship?

Considering Burton didn't do much with Trubs in recent weeks, I can't see how a backup QB could hurt him. If anything, Chase Daniel will look for Burton more often. Peppering their TE with safety valve targets is what backup QBs like to do. Last time Burton had an off-week like this, he exploded the week after. At this point in the season he is a mid TE1 and benching him because he let you down in the last couple weeks will only cause you to miss out on his boom weeks. Since I can't get my hands on Ertz, Kelce or Kittle, my strategy is sticking with Burton.

5 hours ago, herschel said:

27 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Considering Burton didn't do much with Trubs in recent weeks, I can't see how a backup QB could hurt him. If anything, Chase Daniel will look for Burton more often. Peppering their TE with safety valve targets is what backup QBs like to do. 

this is another commonly held fallacy (backup looks for TE and RBs to dumpoff) .... even moreso in this particular case ... Daniels isn't just some warm body clutching a clipboard - he had been Smiff's understudy in K.C., where Nagy was offensive coordinator - one could say that Daniels prolly knows the offense as well as, if not better than, Money F'n Mitch. 

this is also not some basic playbook - there are a ton of moving parts and intricacies and misdirection in this passing game - not exactly gonna be Burton taking five steps off the line, turning around and clapping his hands for the befuddled backup. 

playcalling scaled back a bit? perhaps, but that will have to do more with the ridiculously short week.  but dumbed down to the point where Burton sees a huge increase in targets?  highly unlikely. 

tl;dr - Daniels knows the offense very well, expect business as usual. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

this is another commonly held fallacy (backup looks for TE and RBs to dumpoff) .... even moreso in this particular case ... Daniels isn't just some warm body clutching a clipboard - he had been Smiff's understudy in K.C., where Nagy was offensive coordinator - one could say that Daniels prolly knows the offense as well as, if not better than, Money F'n Mitch. 

this is also not some basic playbook - there are a ton of moving parts and intricacies and misdirection in this passing game - not exactly gonna be Burton taking five steps off the line, turning around and clapping his hands for the befuddled backup. 

playcalling scaled back a bit? perhaps, but that will have to do more with the ridiculously short week.  but dumbed down to the point where Burton sees a huge increase in targets?  highly unlikely. 

tl;dr - Daniels knows the offense very well, expect business as usual. 

I'd counter that Chase Daniel, in the limited sample size we have on him, doesn't like to throw outside the hashes. It's his tendency and probably the smart thing anyway considering his arm is below average. If I had to guess I'd predict something like 5/40 or 6/50 for Burton with same TD potential as usual.

Edited by frog34

8 hours ago, lla887 said:

Four straight games with less than five targets and now possibly losing his starting qb.  Time to jump ship?

I jumped & added Brate to be my backup to Hooper. His hype totally outweighed his disappointing usage. Now he’ll probably blow up for somebody else in my league and for all of you waiting for another big game. Good luck!

Edited by lvsaint429
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, chief79 said:

Wondering the same thing myself.  I am tempted to grab Brate off the wire just in case.  Really don't want to get another goose egg out of my TE spot.  

Grabbed Brate.  Burtons volume, outside of Pats game, is so bad.  We have a sizable sample on this.  New QB this week, which could be a good thing, but gotta see it shake out first

Edited by SuperMarksBros.

Didnt Chase and Burton practice together a bit during their time in Philly? Idk, just looking for something interesting here lol

If anything trubisky being hurt is a boost to burton. His playstyle couldnt be more detrimental, look for his first read or tuck it and run. 

• Like 1

Yeah that's it, i'm dropping Burton and picking him up for a stud TE 5-15 on the WW.  Guaranteed to do better than Burton!  Tight Ends this year have been so great!

2 minutes ago, nosh0t said:

Yeah that's it, i'm dropping Burton and picking him up for a stud TE 5-15 on the WW.  Guaranteed to do better than Burton!  Tight Ends this year have been so great!

No need when you have Kittle ;)

33 minutes ago, Broncos132 said:

Didnt Chase and Burton practice together a bit during their time in Philly? Idk, just looking for something interesting here lol

i hear tell that they used to binge watch G.o.T. and Bojack Horseman together, and then go and hit Applebees for some good ol' fashioned monkey shines.

HTH

On 11/19/2018 at 1:13 AM, Brettg57 said:

"dude just doesn't have it" sure, when the offensive scheme tells you to read the first route or run, Ya. Everybody knew this was a tough matchup for anybody on both Chicago/Minn offensive players. What were you all expecting??? 

Droppable for who?? Nick Vannette? 

Gerald Everett. Similar floor, better offense, more upside, trending up.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

If anything trubisky being hurt is a boost to burton. His playstyle couldnt be more detrimental, look for his first read or tuck it and run. 

Trubisky fantasy production masks his average passing skills (reading defenses/going through progressions). Who knows if Chase Daniel will be better or worse, but there is definitely a chance Daniel could be beneficial to Burton's game this week. 

6 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Gerald Everett. Similar floor, better offense, more upside, trending up.

Bye week

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

Bye week

Yes. If you need a TE this week only Everett is no help. Heading toward the playoffs I roster two TEs. Dropped Burton for Everett to pair with my other TE. 

Just now, Lamont Sanford said:

Yes. If you need a TE this week only Everett is no help. Heading toward the playoffs I roster two TEs. Dropped Burton for Everett to pair with my other TE. 

But does Everett significantly get more targets than Higbee? Seems the TE’s in LA are a last resort for Goff on most plays

25 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i hear tell that they used to binge watch G.o.T. and Bojack Horseman together, and then go and hit Applebees for some good ol' fashioned monkey shines.

That's a bromance if I ever saw one. Starting him with confidence

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

But does Everett significantly get more targets than Higbee? Seems the TE’s in LA are a last resort for Goff on most plays

Up until this point, no. But I think that may change going forward. Everett’s in just his second season, drafted in the second round. He fits the profile of a stud TE, and flashed brightly under the Monday night lights. Might’ve been the first sign of a breakout.

From his NFL.com scouting report: 

Bottom Line

It's difficult to find a good comparison for Everett because his size and toughness are similar to Marshall's coming out, but his playing style resembles Delanie Walker at times. Everett has size, speed and tremendous run-after-catch potential, but it is his willingness and ability to block that separates him from other "matchup" tight ends. Route running is below average, but he should improve with NFL coaching. Everett has the talent to become a very good NFL starter with Pro Bowl potential if he puts it all together.