Bastardo!

Trey Burton 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

On 11/22/2018 at 6:27 PM, CABLE87 said:

Standard hes droppable, PPR not so much

59 targets sounds great, but unless he's catching the ball it ain't great. thursday's 4 receptions for 28 yards should've been more (should've been 6 receptions for 60 yards), but burton was not concentrating on the ball. 2 of those 3 missed opportunities were his fault.

this leaves us at 4 targets per game, not counting the 11 target outlier vs the patriots. usually one of those four is a shovel pass for 2-3 yards, but it could be a goal-line shovel pass so it's a wash regarding opportunity.

based on what we've seen this season, i like burton vs the high-scoring rams in week 14, but i have trouble seeing his 4-target / 2-reception usage moving forward. i'd say he's droppable in PPR leagues there's someone on the waiver. i mean, jordan thomas only gets one target but at least it's an end zone target. and logan thomas (who known even knows) saw 8 targets two weeks ago and was playing with focus (he caught 7 of those 8)... i wouldn't drop burton for either of those two... not yet... but depending on your waiver wire, as much as we don't want to believe it, burton is droppable

latest?cb=20140331032823

I’m convinced the play calling is atrocious in Chi and Trey isn’t a star. jAG

Burton is still a TE1, if only because of the rest of the TE pool. Can you name 10 or 12 TEs better than him? Other than the top tier everyone else is essentially TD or bust, with random big yardage outbursts sprinkled in once a month or so.

One reason the summer hype hasn't translated is people didn't except Miller and Gabriel to have this large of a role. Burton was expected to be the clear number two option in the passing game.

The worst thing about this bum is he did just enough to prevent most of us from hunting for a replacement, and then went ice cold heading into our playoffs.  It was a good trick.  And by good, I mean devastating.  

Edited by mikeflavaz
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

The worst thing about this bum is he did just enough to prevent most of us from hunting for a replacement, and then went ice cold heading into our playoffs.  It was a good trick.  And by good, I mean devastating.  

This is the truest and most accurate statement of the year.  I somehow got Cameron Brate (who is TD or bust every week).  If somehow he’s available I would grab him and run him based on matchups.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dlionsfan901 said:

This is the truest and most accurate statement of the year.  I somehow got Cameron Brate (who is TD or bust every week).  If somehow he’s available I would grab him and run him based on matchups.  

I grabbed Brate too and played him this week. My plan is to play match up as well but its so hard with TEs. You never really know if its a "plus matchup." This weak was a little easier since Trubisky was out. Both average around 3-4 targets and hope for a score.

3 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

This is so true it hurts. 

Picked up Doyle in a trade thinking I'd play the match up game with Burton but after these last couple weeks I'm thinking all Doyle all the time.  Burton just doesn't get enough opportunities to put up points

On 11/24/2018 at 10:25 AM, Ace_King said:

One reason the summer hype hasn't translated is people didn't except Miller and Gabriel to have this large of a role. Burton was expected to be the clear number two option in the passing game.

This is exactly right. Gabriel has been a nice surprise for CHI, & he’s taken many of Burton’s targets. Also when Robinson is out or locked up, it’s Gabriel or Miller stepping up, not Burton. Trubisky has really gotten comfortable throwing outside to those WR’s, to Burton’s detriment

• Like 1

Finally booted J Howard off my team.

Now I can focus more on how Nagy has refused to use Trey Burton 

Gmen have been somewhat sort vs TEs so I assume this therefore a surefire faceplant game as Nagy dails up some more super sneaky Chinese Water Torture formations?

I'd love to drop him, but there are three playoff teams in my league that are really struggling at TE.  Only holding onto him to play "keep-away."

2 minutes ago, BklynBlue said:

I'd love to drop him, but there are three playoff teams in my league that are really struggling at TE.  Only holding onto him to play "keep-away."

There’s a better chance he hurts whoever picks him up then helps.  I dropped him over a week ago and no one has picked him up.  It’s like picking up a grenade with the pin pulled. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lla887 said:

There’s a better chance he hurts whoever picks him up then helps.  I dropped him over a week ago and no one has picked him up.  It’s like picking up a grenade with the pin pulled. 

This man gets it

42 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Finally booted J Howard off my team.

Now I can focus more on how Nagy has refused to use Trey Burton 

Gmen have been somewhat sort vs TEs so I assume this therefore a surefire faceplant game as Nagy dails up some more super sneaky Chinese Water Torture formations?

This is something requiring of focus - you shall be rewarded.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BMcP said:

This is something requiring of focus - you shall be rewarded.

I certainly hope so!

My only thought is that NAgy specifically has not used Burton like he did in the preseason so teams wont' game plan for it...and he can bust out Burton games for when it counts. I am still dumbfounded as to why they aren't using him.

The only problem is that, that doesn't coincide with FF playoffs.

Burton and Howard draft picks really crippled my team this year. I specifically did NOT pick up Kelce or Ertz because I had so much faith in Burton in the late rounds. Instead I opted for JHoward...lol...just a horrible 1 - 2 gut punch from these guys.

Dropping Burton today for LaCosse in Denver. At least I know With Hauerman out, I know KEenum will be targeting him more than 4 or 5 times a game (I hope!)

1 hour ago, BklynBlue said:

I am in a similar situation except two playoff teams badly need RB's so instead of dropping Freeman or Howard I am going to drop Burton to pick up a defense and just roll with Brate for week 15 & 16.

7 targets on thanksgiving. Good sign to come? Most in over a month. With a backup qb though and was in a dome.

weather bad in jersey so it may be a howard run fest.

im starting with low expectation.

1 hour ago, championship or bust said:

7 targets on thanksgiving. Good sign to come? Most in over a month. With a backup qb though and was in a dome.

weather bad in jersey so it may be a howard run fest.

im starting with low expectation.

Lots of targets and a iffy fumble. NYG struggle vs athletic tight ends, Trey Burton is in fact one of those. 4/45/1 line incoming. 

"The Giants have really struggled with tight ends the last three weeks, as they’ve allowed George Kittle 9/83/0, O.J. Howard 5/78/0, and Zach Ertz 7/91/1. Those are some athletic tight ends, which is the profile that Burton fits. In fact, he plays the same role as Ertz does in the offense, but obviously doesn’t see the volume Ertz does. He’s still in-play as a low-end TE1 who can go for 80-plus yards and a touchdown at any point." - Mike Tagliere 

7 hours ago, BklynBlue said:

The joke’s on you, jack.

7 hours ago, lla887 said:

Nailed it