Rotoworld.com Forums

Josh Hader 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I don't know. Sure you can use the excuse, "it was 6 years ago and he was 16 at the time of tweets" but I literally don't know a single person I went to high school with who said the kind of garbage Hader just got caught saying. I'm sure we will get one of those fake generic apologies soon that nobody cares about.

And it's not only impacting Hader, it's already impacting his family. Pretty serious stuff now that's it's gone viral.

Edited by JDL88
  • Like 3
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, JDL88 said:

I don't know. Sure you can use the excuse, "it was 6 years ago and he was 16 at the time of tweets" but I literally don't know a single person I went to high school with who said the kind of garbage Hader just got caught saying. I'm sure we will get one of those fake generic apologies soon that nobody cares about.

He literally pissed off every group in America. Doing it to one is bad enough. He is f*****.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JDL88 said:

And it's not only impacting Hader, it's already impacting his family. Pretty serious stuff now that's it's gone viral.

Yeah I am so tired of "But I was young and everyone does stupid things like this and ...".  No, no they don't.  Not anyone I knew in my youth.  So not now and not at 16 either.  And their apologies are always written by PR people but they all just come down in the end to "I'm really sorry ... that I got caught."

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

What is crazy to me...is that this is just now coming out...it's like they purposely waited for it to be the all-star game...

That's how it always is with these things. We see this every year, usually during the NFL draft, NBA draft, big playoff games etc when the spotlight is on these guys

“What has changed about your thinking?”

”Nothing.”

”Nothing has changed?!”

(barely understandable muttering, while trailing off)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, IDGAFOS said:

Hader has been recognizable for long enough at this point that this still seems surprising.  Also why the ef don't these guys hire people that research this s---? Like an agent that gets a nice % of their salary.  

Recognizable sure but hasn't played on a big stage like this yet in his career. More viewers tuning into the all-star game than your standard Brewers games

And yeah, you'd think after this keeps happening EVERY YEAR, agents and players(especially younger ones) would already have gotten advice on this kind of thing. Either have somebody comb through your account for this kind of thing or simply delete your account and create a new one

5 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

3 hoes now instead of 2

He’s been learning spelling from since-deleted Alex Bregman tweets referencing “flees.”

Yep - he's toast. I don't see a way out of this for the Brewers. Something like this, with such volume and frequency, reflects what's truly in his heart. You can say "I've changed" "I was stupid" all you want, but it's not going to work when it's to this degree (even one post like that is hard to overcome let alone what's been unearthed tonight).

As mentioned above, I seriously don't understand why teams don't implement a policy of 100% weeding out all social medias of a player before they're signed/drafted (and then continuously monitored). Hire someone to comb through every Tweet/post/whatever before something like this destroys all investments made in a player. Even deleted accounts/posts can be uncovered with "way back" software and whatnot - once you post something, you can never take it back.

• Like 2

His family couldn’t even dawn his jersey anymore.  Going to be a long road back.  No clue what MLB will do.  I imagine they’ll have to suspend/reprimand him someway.  Couldn’t come at a worse time for him.  No news for a few days now with no games being played so it will be a 24/7 cycle of #deservehead type tweets coming back up.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2

I honestly have no idea what is going to happen with this...

I think if this was something that happened this year, or present day, or while he was in the majors...Suspension for sure.

But the fact that this happened when he was in HS...when people are often labeled as "growing up" and to be honest..."stupid."...

I don't agree with his apology just being "i was stupid back then", but it really just is that in a way. The learning curve of a 17-year old is a pretty big one. I mean hell, there was a huge change for me just going from 20 years old to 21 years old. People do some really immature stuff when they are young, obviously some worse than others in this extreme case.

In reality, you've got a guy who, to my knowledge, had no problems in college and hasn't had any issues while in the majors. 

My guess, is that that Brewers maaaybe suspend him for a little bit (7-10 games), talk with him, they will probably ask that there be a public apology, etc... and possibly a fine, although it's difficult to image that they would fine someone based off of offensive phrases or tweets said while in high school, 7 years in the past.

People might not agree with his tweets, (and i certainly don't), but a 17-year old kid said those things, in a time when social media was at it's height. I think it's going to be difficult to crucify someone on something that was said years and years in the past, let alone something that was said at the time by a kid.

And I certaintly can't imagine them doing something as crazy as suspending him the rest of the season or releasing him.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes, apologies publicly, has grown and will continue to grow from it, and continue his incredible pitching (minus the all-star game).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Try again - at least one recovered racist tweet references the Trayvon Martin protests - dates from January 2016.  Pretty sure he wasn’t under 18 then.

That one turned out to be fake. 

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Not sure how that was confirmed.  It doesn’t matter - the point is the notion that MLB - and/or his coaches - will not punish him for such vile and hateful speech in a way that cripples his fantasy value ROS is delusional.

Or is it delusional to think the Brewers would abandon their best weapon as they fight to make their first playoff appearance in 7 seasons?

Just now, Baseball Batman said:

Or is it delusional to think the Brewers would abandon their best weapon as they fight to make their first playoff appearance in 7 seasons?

Even if they suspend him for a bit (say 7-10 days like Cortez suggested) I don't think that "cripples" his fantasy value.

58 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I imagine they’ll have to suspend/reprimand him someway

He seems like a piece of crap, but there is no possible way he can be suspended for something he did as an amateur player, years before he played an MLB game. Players union would never let that happen.

Unless more stuff comes out from after he signed, he's not getting suspended or fined by MLB.

However that doesn't mean there won't be other repercussions career-wise going forward

Edited by cs3
  • Like 4

Even if - somehow - he inexplicably avoided any official suspension from either MLB or his own team, I feel sure they will suppress his usage in the second half on account of the fan backlash.

It’s unavoidable, just face it.  Even the most die-hard Brewers fan or “Lord Hader” worshiper must understand this is really serious.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

[Just to be clear about the expectations here: as with any other case where off-the-field issues have a potential fantasy impact, the discussion here needs to be centered around on Josh Hader's fantasy outlook  The statements in Hader's tweets are undeniably offensive, to the point where any discussion of how offensive they are is superfluous, and any attempt to try to express sympathy / compassion for him being a kid when he wrote the tweets is likely to be interpreted as excusing the underlying behavior.  We will be removing any comments that stray from the primary purpose of these forums.  There are plenty of other spaces on the internet where you can get on your soapbox and engage in a deeper discussion of the underlying issues, and I'd encourage you to go hit those up if you're not here to talk about Hader's value as a fantasy player.]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

For what it's worth, in 2013 Riley Cooper was caught on video using a racial slur while on an NFL contract. The Eagles fined him with no suspension. The NFL didn't punish Cooper beyond what the Eagles did.

How did the rest of Riley Cooper's NFL career turn out?