Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

Josh Hader 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

“We all said some crazy stuff when we’re young,” Cain told reporters after the game. “That’s one reason why I don’t have social media is because of things like this. You always get in trouble for things you said when you’re younger. We’ll move on from it. The situation is what it is. I know Hader, he’s a great guy. I know he’s a great teammate. I’m fine. Everybody will be OK.”

Cain was asked if he was surprised to hear about the tweets.

“I was surprised,” Cain said. “Anytime somebody does something like that, you’re surprised. At the end of the day, you’ve got to give people a second chance ... you’ve got to forgive people. Like I said, we’ll move on from it. For me, it’s over and done with. He said it. It got out there. I’m moving on from it.”

http://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article215083165.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

Guess we dodged a bullet. Nice gesture by his teammate here-

Pretty funny statement to make after reading those tweets but glad he has some support. I know some guys in the clubhouse probably want nothing to do with him. Hope it doesn't affect his performance going forward, he's been amazing. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CORTEz said:

What is crazy to me...is that this is just now coming out...it's like they purposely waited for it to be the all-star game...

Look at Laremy Tunsil on the Dolphins. Literally minutes before the NFL draft a pic was posted on Twitter of him smoking weed with a gas mask contraption/bong.

There was talk of him being a top 4-5 pick at the time but he ended up slipping to #13. 

Its crazy how this stuff comes up at the worst times.

[Non-fantasy-relevant commentary removed]

For fantasy purposes, I think Hader will continue to have the great season he's been having. I get off the field stuff can be distracting, but Jesus is the second teammate to publicly support him, the other being Cain. He's been one of the most effective relief pitchers this year. Maybe it throws him off for a week or so, but I suspect he'll largely stay on track.

Edited by tonycpsu

For fantasy purposes, if this throws him off his game just go grab Burnes. I feel like he could take over his role, just without the gaudy K totals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MireLurker said:

For fantasy purposes, if this throws him off his game just go grab Burnes. I feel like he could take over his role, just without the gaudy K totals.

One thing to remember is, while still very good, his numbers have been slowly regressing anyway. Not quite the same dominant P he was early on. 

April- 18 IP, xFIP 0.55, 19.50 K/9

May- 15 IP, xFIP 2.14, 16.20 K/9

June- 8.2 IP, xFIP 2.73, 15.58 K/9

July- 6.1 IP, xFIP 3.11, 11.37 K/9

• Like 2

[Once again, a reminder that your comments need to be centered on Hader's fantasy outlook or they will be subject to removal.]

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MireLurker said:

I'm keeping an eye on Burnes as well. He could very well have a prominent role in the bullpen moving forward, or he might transition back to the rotation if Guerra figures to miss an extended stretch (and they don't bring in another arm via trade). 

Hader back to striking everyone out.

• Like 1

League leader in FIP and xFIP given a minimum of 70 IP.  He’s actually blowing everyone away in xFIP - the next closest is Chris Sale at 4/10 of a point behind him.  

2 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

League leader in FIP and xFIP given a minimum of 70 IP.  He’s actually blowing everyone away in xFIP - the next closest is Chris Sale at 4/10 of a point behind him.  

Did anyone else happen to watch his outing last night?   It was absolutely filthy.   The guys on MLB Network were talking about him as well and mentioned that his high fastball coming from a left hander at 99 mph is one of the most un-hittable pitches in all of baseball.  Along with Blake Snell's curveball of course.

It is crazy this guy gets the vast majority of his Ks on fastballs.  He can basically throw the ball over the plate and hitters swing and miss.

Usually guys get Ks with offs peed pitches.  

1 hour ago, B&F said:

It is crazy this guy gets the vast majority of his Ks on fastballs.  He can basically throw the ball over the plate and hitters swing and miss.

Usually guys get Ks with offs peed pitches.  

Rich Hill the only one I remember to get Ks with offs peed pitches

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/los-angeles-dodgers-rich-hill-urinate-blisters-mlb/amp

• Haha 1

I'll be surprised if they don't try him as a starter next year. His numbers are a joke. He strikes out almost half the batters he faces in the pen. Half. 

You're telling me he can't air it out for even 5 innings every 5th day and give you 150 IP instead of 80? 

As mentioned, dude is absolutely filthy.  

Excited about the rare Win and Hold combo he got on Yahoo two days ago.  I thought it might have been a mistake since by definition a pitcher shouldn't be able to get both in the same game, but since Holds is an unofficial stat and Yahoo's stat provider uses a slightly different definition for Holds...we get both.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WEIL3R said:

As mentioned, dude is absolutely filthy.  

Excited about the rare Win and Hold combo he got on Yahoo two days ago.  I thought it might have been a mistake since by definition a pitcher shouldn't be able to get both in the same game, but since Holds is an unofficial stat and Yahoo's stat provider uses a slightly different definition for Holds...we get both.  Good stuff.

Wow I for sure that was a mistake. Glad I came here for the confirmation it wasn’t. 

He has gone from being unhittable for a week to being awful.