Hawkeye21

Chicago Bears 2018 Offseason

Wow the Bears get Mack.  They had a top10 D last year, they have to be at least the #5 or #6 now...

It’s good to have a rookie QB, it opens up all kinds of opportunities financially.

The Raiders are so stupid to let this guy go.  They likely have the worst D in the league now...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeoffByrne said:

Is Chicago Defense worth the fantasy add with the addition of Mack alone? 

Asking as a Ravens owner. Should bring some exciting times in Chi

Not just because of Mack. The Bears aren't great everywhere. But the aren't weak anywhere, and they have arguably the best DC in the entire NFL. Don't take Bears' fans word, take the word of intelligent 49ers fans too, most of whom discuss with me almost immediately how jealous they are that Fangio (who worked w/ Jim Harbaugh) is in Chicago. 

3-4

First level Akiem Hicks and Eddie Goldman are both bonafide studs. Akiem is a rare big body run stuffer who also contributed with a 7+ Sack pass rush. Eddie Goldman a huge NT who absorbs blocks and suffocates A-Gap runs. Bullard/Robertson-Harris/Nichols rotating. 

The LB potential on this team is ******** absurd now. Floyd has legit All-Pro potential opposite of Mack if he were to play a healthy 16 games. He already has an injury and he's been injured often so I don't know how likely that is to happen. But Floyd is talented AF. Trevathan isn't a game changer, but is a VERY good linebacker, sure tackler, good in coverage. Smith one of the most likely Defensive Rookies to make an NFL impact. Game Speed is ++. Fangio;s defense is built around D-Line absorbing blocks for free-ranging quicker Linebackers. He did this with Patrick WIllis and Navarro Bowman in San Francisco. Roquan is perfect for this system, as are Hicks and Goldman to cover those blocks for Smith to have free range. Kwiatkowski/Acho are smart players who know their role on defense, Kwiat especially has seen a ton of time as a starting ILB between injuries and has never been a flaw in the defense. 

And Mack.

Adrian Amos was Pro Football Focus' second best safety to Harrison Smith last year. Safety who makes every play. Seems to always correctly play run (and quickly) while also never committing to the run on the pass. Not as explosive or as much of a playmaker as 2017 Rookie Eddie Jackson. Jackson's not as good of an overall player yet, but he was a huge big play guy on the defense last year. I think Amos+Jackson was one of hte most dynamic safety duos in the NFL last year, and as prime age players could be again. Callahan and LeBlanc are great inside corners. Fuller and Amukamara are more average than great, but they're both good outside corners. Fuller had a career year last year and could also repeat. He's a bit over paid, but we're not paying for that right now in reality or at least in this discussion.

So I mean yeah. They're not weak anywhere. there were reasons to like them a lot before makc. now they have Mack. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, taobball said:

Not just because of Mack. The Bears aren't great everywhere. But the aren't weak anywhere, and they have arguably the best DC in the entire NFL. Don't take Bears' fans word, take the word of intelligent 49ers fans too, most of whom discuss with me almost immediately how jealous they are that Fangio (who worked w/ Jim Harbaugh) is in Chicago. 

3-4

First level Akiem Hicks and Eddie Goldman are both bonafide studs. Akiem is a rare big body run stuffer who also contributed with a 7+ Sack pass rush. Eddie Goldman a huge NT who absorbs blocks and suffocates A-Gap runs. Bullard/Robertson-Harris/Nichols rotating. 

The LB potential on this team is ******** absurd now. Floyd has legit All-Pro potential opposite of Mack if he were to play a healthy 16 games. He already has an injury and he's been injured often so I don't know how likely that is to happen. But Floyd is talented AF. Trevathan isn't a game changer, but is a VERY good linebacker, sure tackler, good in coverage. Smith one of the most likely Defensive Rookies to make an NFL impact. Game Speed is ++. Fangio;s defense is built around D-Line absorbing blocks for free-ranging quicker Linebackers. He did this with Patrick WIllis and Navarro Bowman in San Francisco. Roquan is perfect for this system, as are Hicks and Goldman to cover those blocks for Smith to have free range. Kwiatkowski/Acho are smart players who know their role on defense, Kwiat especially has seen a ton of time as a starting ILB between injuries and has never been a flaw in the defense. 

And Mack.

Adrian Amos was Pro Football Focus' second best safety to Harrison Smith last year. Safety who makes every play. Seems to always correctly play run (and quickly) while also never committing to the run on the pass. Not as explosive or as much of a playmaker as 2017 Rookie Eddie Jackson. Jackson's not as good of an overall player yet, but he was a huge big play guy on the defense last year. I think Amos+Jackson was one of hte most dynamic safety duos in the NFL last year, and as prime age players could be again. Callahan and LeBlanc are great inside corners. Fuller and Amukamara are more average than great, but they're both good outside corners. Fuller had a career year last year and could also repeat. He's a bit over paid, but we're not paying for that right now in reality or at least in this discussion.

So I mean yeah. They're not weak anywhere. there were reasons to like them a lot before makc. now they have Mack. 

It’s really good to see the Bears get back to there roots of dominant defenses.  It’s all on Trubisky to elevate his game.  The Bears have all the pieces on paper to be a great team.  The defense, the O-line, WRs, TE, RB, etc.  all the boxes are checked except QB, and he was the #2 draft pick.

18 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

It’s really good to see the Bears get back to there roots of dominant defenses.  It’s all on Trubisky to elevate his game.  The Bears have all the pieces on paper to be a great team.  The defense, the O-line, WRs, TE, RB, etc.  all the boxes are checked except QB, and he was the #2 draft pick.

+ Theoretically offensive coaching now too. I agree. Very exciting. 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

+ Theoretically offensive coaching now too. I agree. Very exciting. 

Poor Lions... back to being the bottom of the division ?

And, my Broncos get to return to their proper place of walking all over the Raiders ?

This is going to be fun!

• Like 1

Just now, seanismorris said:

Poor Lions... back to being the bottom of the division ?

And, my Broncos get to return to their proper place of walking all over the Raiders ?

This is going to be fun!

I won't say who :ph34r:

But numerous Lions fans I know have gone from arguing to conceding theoretical bottom of the division to me over the course of the offseason-- prior to Mack signing. A lot of non-me's and non-fans see this team going in the rigth direction. Ryan Pace & Matt Nagy & co. steering the ship to a bright future. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, taobball said:

3-4

And Mack.

This is an awesome post. Bear Down!! It’s crazy how quickly the sentiment in Chicago has shifted from down right depressing to now a very optimistic future.

1 hour ago, disasterisk said:

Sure it does. They have proven to be largely inept at drafting first round talent in the first round and Pace knows he won't be here anyway to use those picks if Trubisky doesn't pan out and he's trying to save his job. 

Ok...it makes sense for Pace.   Got it.

10 minutes ago, JEREMY LIN said:

Where do you guys rank the Bears D overall now? 

They ranked 7th in sacks last year...now add Mack, Floyd, Smith.

As a lions fan this is a disappointing acquisition ? But in the same regard, as a fan of football and seeing as much competition as possible, what a snag by da bears! Gruden out west redefining bold fresh out from behind the desk haha I love it all. If Trubisky makes that next step the bears are gonna be a problem for everyone

3 minutes ago, BoilerUPTX said:

This is an awesome post. Bear Down!! It’s crazy how quickly the sentiment in Chicago has shifted from down right depressing to now a very optimistic future.

I need to update this post due to some wrong / new information but I did this one after the draft.

some similar things to above but: 

TE: Probably deserve a better grade even just with Burotn, but our depth has been hit up a bit with injuries. Also deserves to mention potential of different roles between Shaheen and Burton. Burton will be a split out player. Shaheen will do more blocking. If healthy Shaheen I expect to have more TDs for fantasy reasons, but Burton is goign to be a target hog. I have him as one of like 4-5 TEs with 100+ Targets. 

Daniels has been slow to develop. O-Line mid-tier but top 16 at least imo. 

(Fitts is OLB not DE. Much to small to DE especially in 3-4). 

Nichols is the guy to be intrigued about outside of the two obvious studs on the DL covered. Very physical. Very fast for size. Very good inside pass rush potential for a BIG boy. Similar to Hicks potentially. Came from DELAWARE, which is an FCS team, so I was tempering my expectations from the 5th Round pick getting a huge jump up in competition. Performed VERY well in live action in the preseason, with a sack in game 1, a sack in game 3, and 1.5 sacks in game 5.  I didn't expect 3.5 Sacks of Production out of someone I expected to be a bit raw, preseason or not, so I'm optimistic Nichols' physical traits and work ethic can create a good complement to Goldman and Hicks sooner rather than later. 

I didn't talk up Amos enough in my secondary coverage. Adrian Amos by many accounts had an absurdly good 2017. PFF rated him the #2 Safety in football behind Harrison Smith and an All-Pro. Second most run stops (have to be within a certain distance from the line of scrimmage) to Harrison Smith. Reliable and consistent in pass coverage even with non-elite playmaking skills. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, itschief33 said:

As a lions fan this is a disappointing acquisition ? But in the same regard, as a fan of football and seeing as much competition as possible, what a snag by da bears! Gruden out west redefining bold fresh out from behind the desk haha I love it all. If Trubisky makes that next step the bears are gonna be a problem for everyone

It’s not like the Lions are standing still.  I think the Lions D over performed a bit last year... they finished 5 in fantasy points.  They have two established playmakers at WR, and Golliday ascending.  I think it was a mistake to let Ebron walk, but as long as they have Stafford it will be exciting.  It looks like the Lions are finally fixing their run game.  The HC is a question mark... it’s difficult to expect much in his 1st year.

It’s sure an arms race in the NFC North on both sides of the ball.  It might be the best division in football.

2 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

It’s not like the Lions are standing still.  I think the Lions D over performed a bit last year... they finished 5 in fantasy points.  They have two established playmakers at WR, and Golliday ascending.  I think it was a mistake to let Ebron walk, but as long as they have Stafford it will be exciting.  It looks like the Lions are finally fixing their run game.  The HC is a question mark... it’s difficult to expect much in his 1st year.

It’s sure an arms race in the NFC North on both sides of the ball.  It might be the best division in football.

Oh I like what the lions are attempting to do I think they’re headed in the right direction. The same can be said for my feelings on the bears. Mack is just such a game changer on defense I would rather he stayed away from the lions unproven OL ? The narrative for both teams I feel is very similar. I think they need to both come out the gates hot to solidify the confidence in all of these changes they’ve both been making. It’s a pretty exciting division though from top to bottom. But back to the bears, I would be very excited if I was a bears fan about the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seanismorris said:

Wow the Bears get Mack.  They had a top10 D last year, they have to be at least the #5 or #6 now...

It’s good to have a rookie QB, it opens up all kinds of opportunities financially.

The Raiders are so stupid to let this guy go.  They likely have the worst D in the league now...

They are stupid for getting 2 1st picks + more for mack? I think the idea was that Mack alone wasn't going to fix the problems on defense. So instead of giving a 20M+ extension. They could get 2 high upside defensive players for a fraction of the cost.

The Bears who were already a decent defense all of the sudden become the glam pick with the addition of Mack. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference he makes for the defense.

Can someone sell me on the Bears D? Asking as someone who doesn't know the defensive side of the ball nearly as much as offense. What makes them great?

16 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Can someone sell me on the Bears D? Asking as someone who doesn't know the defensive side of the ball nearly as much as offense. What makes them great?

Lol wait for the sales pitch... Not like it's a free for all race to grab one of the top defenses in the league today

Let's just put it this way, they don't have a single bad player in their starting lineup

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

They are stupid for getting 2 1st picks + more for mack? I think the idea was that Mack alone wasn't going to fix the problems on defense. So instead of giving a 20M+ extension. They could get 2 high upside defensive players for a fraction of the cost.

But its okay for to give a coach who's been out of football for 10 years a 10 year/100 million dollar contract and then spend a combined 14 million on Jordy Nelson and Tahir Whitehead. Instead they'll trade away their best player since Charles Woodson.

.Gruden's drafting record is also awful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ffguy0087 said:

No holes that I can tell and one of the best DCs in the league.  Also were top 10 last year with a harder schedule and no Roquan or Mack.  What else is there to sell?

1 minute ago, Beerdown said:

No holes that I can tell and one of the best DCs in the league.  Also were top 10 last year with a harder schedule and no Roquan or Mack.  What else is there to sell?

I don't know the defensive side of the ball very well. Don't know a thing about Roquan. I was just curious. Thanks for your answer!!

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

The most important player is the QB, the 2nd most important player is your pass rusher (hopefully you get 2).  The interceptions, turnovers, etc. start with a good pass rush.  You build your team around both positions, then you get your guy to stop the other teams pass rusher.

How does Foles win a Super Bowl? You don’t sack or pressure him...

How do you stop a HoF QB?  You drive him into the ground a few times...

2 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

1 hour ago, Beerdown said:

I don't know jack about their secondary, how is it?

Edited by Cotton Jones