Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JeterPimpedUrGF

Daniel Murphy 2018 Outlook

20 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Stormy Daniel(s) Murphy.  You're welcome. I have...too much time on my hand.

Stormy_Daniels_Murphy.png

Image result for some things you can't unsee

Claimed off revocable waivers.  Will be interesting to see what mystery team put in a Claim and if they can get a deal done.  He would look good at 2B or 1B for the Yanks, nice short porch in right!

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

Claimed off revocable waivers.  Will be interesting to see what mystery team put in a Claim and if they can get a deal done.  He would look good at 2B or 1B for the Yanks, nice short porch in right!

Take it with a grain of salt because its a rumor from the twittersphere, but people are saying it might be the cubs that claimed him and I don't know if that would be a good fit since they have so many positional players as it is.

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

Take it with a grain of salt because its a rumor from the twittersphere, but people are saying it might be the cubs that claimed him and I don't know if that would be a good fit since they have so many positional players as it is.

Terrible fit there for fantasy UNLESS they decide to shut Russell down for a while and move Baez to SS.  

Cubbies do it to block him from landing on a team in front of them?  That can't be as they're tops in the NL.  And I don't think they'd care enough about keeping him from an AL team.  Cubbies don't make sense here. 

If it’s the Cubs it could mean they think Kris Bryant might not be able to play much down the stretch. Or that Addison Russel’s knuckle injury or lack of offensive production is worrisome. Murphy also has a career 1.100 career OPS at Wrigley Field. I think he’d start nearly ever game for them at 2B down the stretch, but would be a defensive replacement candidate late in game’s that they’re leading. 

2 minutes ago, Jpress82 said:

Its official! he is a cub now! Does this hurt is value?

My worry was that the Nats shut him down, having nothing to play for.  The Cubs are in a dog fight with the Brewers for the division and have to be worried about falling into an even more crowded wild card race.  Team context much better.  Park-wise not really much difference.  I say it's a significant bump as long as he can stay on the field.

Where does he play?  Baez to SS, Russell to the bench?  Or does he play 1B with Rizzo to the OF? Any chance he could play 3B?  How is his arm?  I know he's losing his athleticism to play middle infield...

3 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Where does he play?  Baez to SS, Russell to the bench?  Or does he play 1B with Rizzo to the OF? Any chance he could play 3B?  How is his arm?  I know he's losing his athleticism to play middle infield...

Thats my concern! Will he be a everyday player since the infield is loaded

4 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

If he can't play 2nd base very well, he would be even worse at the hot corner. He will likely get the bulk of his starts at 2nd base. I bet he sits at least once or twice a week, but I am willing to put they plug him 4th in the lineup more than not because they want to score more runs.

7 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Cubbies do it to block him from landing on a team in front of them?  That can't be as they're tops in the NL.  And I don't think they'd care enough about keeping him from an AL team.  Cubbies don't make sense here. 

Fantasy perspective it's bad for him as the infield is crowded.

From a baseball perspective, he is a Cub killer so better to have him with you than against you on an opponent.

Can he play more than 2B? OF?  Maddon loves the versatile guys that can play many positions.

Not sure who gets knocked off the roster to make room for Murphy.

5 hours ago, huskadeez said:

If it’s the Cubs it could mean they think Kris Bryant might not be able to play much down the stretch. Or that Addison Russel’s knuckle injury or lack of offensive production is worrisome. Murphy also has a career 1.100 career OPS at Wrigley Field. I think he’d start nearly ever game for them at 2B down the stretch, but would be a defensive replacement candidate late in game’s that they’re leading. 

I think you’re being a bit over optimistic about his playing time

6 minutes ago, CooL said:

Fantasy perspective it's bad for him as the infield is crowded.

From a baseball perspective, he is a Cub killer so better to have him with you than against you on an opponent.

Can he play more than 2B? OF?  Maddon loves the versatile guys that can play many positions.

Not sure who gets knocked off the roster to make room for Murphy.

He's a poor 2b but can also play 1b.

I'd play him at 2b, Baez to SS, and bench Russell.   Then use Russell as a late game defensive replacement.

6 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

I think you’re being a bit over optimistic about his playing time

Why? They wouldn't of traded for him just to sit on the bench. They needed an upgrade from Russell and Baez can just slide over to SS. Murphy is perfect to get this offense moving again.

9 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Why? They wouldn't of traded for him just to sit on the bench. They needed an upgrade from Russell and Baez can just slide over to SS. Murphy is perfect to get this offense moving again.

I never said he will sit on the bench.  He will play most of the time.  Just not everyday 

1 minute ago, Ratso1022 said:

I never said he will sit on the bench.  He will play most of the time.  Just not everyday 

so I don't understand, he is being overly optimistic about his playing time and here you say that he will play most of the time. I'm not really following you.

5 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

Well, he's had a nice run of consistent PT with the Nats lately, but you have to think they were going to cut into that to let some of their other players get meaningful MLB PAs.  Plus he's at a point where he needs days off just to stay healthy and productive.  I think I like the idea of giving him 1-2 days off per week the rest of the way on a good team over the status quo, which was going to trend toward even more days off in a much less exciting team offensive context as the Nats cycled in the Wilmer Difos and Michael Taylors of the world.

5 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

so I don't understand, he is being overly optimistic about his playing time and here you say that he will play most of the time. I'm not really following you.

I think Russell will start a few days a week.   I hope Murphy can play 5 days a week, but I’m not so sure.  We knew he was getting everyday PT in Washington.   I think it’s overly optimistic that he plays everyday.  

1 minute ago, Ratso1022 said:

I think Russell will start a few days a week.   I hope Murphy can play 5 days a week, but I’m not so sure.  We knew he was getting everyday PT in Washington.   I think it’s overly optimistic that he plays everyday.  

fair point, he was already sitting at least once a week in WSH, and still very productive. I like his chances to put up some good numbers in a better lineup and better ballpark. even if he only goes 4-5 times a week.

Madden uses everybody. I'm assuming on a 6 game week Murphy likely starts four, maybe sits against a tough lefty to start and finishes the game from the 6th or 7th on. 

Even if he doesn't start I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up 2 ABs on those days more times than not depending on how the game goes of course

Addison Russell's OPS since ASG is like .550. [Removed off-topic commentary.]

Murphy murders the ball in WF and has shown clutch ability in the postseason hitting HR's in all 4 games of NLCS for Mets vs Cubs in 2015. Cubs give up a low minors infielder and a PTBNL or cash. 

Other than Billy Beane, Theo is as good as it gets. 

Murphy is a huge offensive upgrade over black hole Russell. 

Baez slides to SS and Addy becomes a  late game defensive sub in playoffs. 

I can't wait till Russell isn't even on the team anymore. 

--Live behind the yard on N Kenmore Ave 

11 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

Where do you see him batting in the order?  Can he slide into the 2 hole?  Or maybe even lead off?

2 hole.