Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JeterPimpedUrGF

Daniel Murphy 2018 Outlook

On 3/7/2018 at 1:39 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

He went 90th overall in the 15 team nfbc league I'm drafting right now.  This injury scares me.  I don't think it's something that just goes away 2 weeks into the season.  I'm not sure I'd touch him.  

I got him at 117 in an OC draft last night.  He's been creeping higher and higher in the past two weeks.  Anything over 100 seems too good to pass up..

I want Murphy to be my starting 2B but it's sounding like I'll need someone with 2B eligibility to start the year in his place.

40 minutes ago, mowntineer said:

I want Murphy to be my starting 2B but it's sounding like I'll need someone with 2B eligibility to start the year in his place.

It might only be the first week or two that he is out. A lot of people are gonna regret discounting him because of the knee in fantasy drafts this year. Since coming to Washington, he's a top 10 hitter in most categories. I think only Altuve has a higher average than him the past three years or some stat like that.

16 hours ago, Picard56 said:

It might only be the first week or two that he is out. A lot of people are gonna regret discounting him because of the knee in fantasy drafts this year. Since coming to Washington, he's a top 10 hitter in most categories. I think only Altuve has a higher average than him the past three years or some stat like that.

Oh, he will be mine...no matter what price I have to pay.

Not betting against Murphy.

7 minutes ago, mowntineer said:

Oh, he will be mine...no matter what price I have to pay.

Not betting against Murphy.

You'll be able to sit on him a little. I got him in the 14th round of a ten team league. Everyone was worried about his knee.

1 hour ago, Picard56 said:

You'll be able to sit on him a little. I got him in the 14th round of a ten team league. Everyone was worried about his knee.

This is a pretty astute league...and auction.

Murphy is just started to put 100% weight while running and is taking ground balls coming right at him but it not being allowed to move laterally just yet. Davey still says there is a chance he's ready for Opening Day. I'd rather they ease him back into it and make sure he's 100% (as a Nats fan).

3 minutes ago, mowntineer said:

This is a pretty astute league...and auction.

Murphy is just started to put 100% weight while running and is taking ground balls coming right at him but it not being allowed to move laterally just yet. Davey still says there is a chance he's ready for Opening Day. I'd rather they ease him back into it and make sure he's 100% (as a Nats fan).

Even if you have to wait out the entire month of April, it is worth it I think. I believe justin turner had the same surgery and missed all of april and then came back to make the all-star team. Murphy is one of the best pure hitters in the game.

whispers he may not return until Mid-May or June 1. 

20 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

whispers he may not return until Mid-May or June 1. 

Who are the whisperers?

12 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Who are the whisperers?

I think the Nationals have been downplaying the severity of the injury all along by refusing to rule him out for opening day. They knew microfracture is a major operation, and they don't want to rush him only to have to send him back to the DL, or get frequent rest days due to swelling/discomfort. I think the writing is on the wall for this to drag into May, and possibly all the way into June, and it seems like there are starting to be more articles/tweets suggesting the same:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/daniel-murphy-injury-update-nationals-second-baseman-could-be-out-several-weeks/

Still, let's be realistic here. The season starts in a week and a day. Once Murphy is 100 percent, he'll need to work himself into game shape and get his timing back at the plate. Then he'll need a minor-league rehab assignment. Even the most optimistic estimates would have to peg a late April or even early May return to the Nationals for Murphy, right? 

Given his age, it's entirely possible that Murphy could miss something like two months. 

34 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

I think the Nationals have been downplaying the severity of the injury all along by refusing to rule him out for opening day. They knew microfracture is a major operation, and they don't want to rush him only to have to send him back to the DL, or get frequent rest days due to swelling/discomfort. I think the writing is on the wall for this to drag into May, and possibly all the way into June, and it seems like there are starting to be more articles/tweets suggesting the same:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/daniel-murphy-injury-update-nationals-second-baseman-could-be-out-several-weeks/

Still, let's be realistic here. The season starts in a week and a day. Once Murphy is 100 percent, he'll need to work himself into game shape and get his timing back at the plate. Then he'll need a minor-league rehab assignment. Even the most optimistic estimates would have to peg a late April or even early May return to the Nationals for Murphy, right? 

Given his age, it's entirely possible that Murphy could miss something like two months. 

Is it possible?  I guess so.  But the reports have said they are easing him back into things, so the fact he is not moving laterally today does not mean that he will not advance to that in the next week or two.  There's nothing I've read that he has had any kind of set-back or that he is not progressing as he should be.  Murphy himself said that he has gone some Spring Training years with many at-bats and as few as only a couple before declaring himself ready for games.  I suspect he is working on timing in the cage and I agree they will want to see him in at least a few minor league rehab games before activating him.  That said, to just arbitrarily say that the timetable is suddenly two months or well into June is just fear-mongering, imo.

4 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Is it possible?  I guess so.  But the reports have said they are easing him back into things, so the fact he is not moving laterally today does not mean that he will not advance to that in the next week or two.  There's nothing I've read that he has had any kind of set-back or that he is not progressing as he should be.  Murphy himself said that he has gone some Spring Training years with many at-bats and as few as only a couple before declaring himself ready for games.  I suspect he is working on timing in the cage and I agree they will want to see him in at least a few minor league rehab games before activating him.  That said, to just arbitrarily say that the timetable is suddenly two months or well into June is just fear-mongering, imo.

Who had this same surgery recently?  I heard something on SiriusXM that if he progressed the same as a recent player who had it, we would be looking at a mid-May return.  

I don't know about anyone else but whenever I draft a guy who's injured to start the year, I always seem to get burned.  Not only will he have to be healthy enough to start playing, he'll have to avoid aggravating the injury throughout the year.  It's usually not worth it in my experience.  That said, I'll probably end up drafting him since I'm a masochist.

1 hour ago, svdude said:

Who had this same surgery recently?  I heard something on SiriusXM that if he progressed the same as a recent player who had it, we would be looking at a mid-May return.  

Not sure 'recently', but I know Justin Turner underwent the same surgery on October 21st, 2015.  He played in 151 games in 2016. 

Murphy underwent surgery October 24th, 2017.  While each player may experience somewhat different recovery times, the surgery was the same.  Again, the Nats are likely going to take it slow with him and make sure he gets into some rehab games, I just don't know where this 'new' timetable reported above is coming from.  Anything is possible, I just don't see that is being logically presented.

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

I didn't arbitrarily say his timetable is two months or well into June. Did you even read my posts? I said there are whispers that he might be out until mid-May or June, then cited an article with someone speculating exactly that. I also provided my own opinion in why it could end up being a slow/cautious recovery and ramp-up to a return to action. 

Why do people take offense to any less than rosy take on a player this time of year? 

53 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

I didn't arbitrarily say his timetable is two months or well into June. Did you even read my posts? I said there are whispers that he might be out until mid-May or June, then cited an article with someone speculating exactly that. I also provided my own opinion in why it could end up being a slow/cautious recovery and ramp-up to a return to action. 

Why do people take offense to any less than rosy take on a player this time of year? 

Yes, I read the post.  And yes, I read the article.  Perhaps what you fail to realize is this is not an attack on you, but rather the writer of the article.  This 'whisper' has no basis other than mere speculation.  Yes, the Nats have been taking a slow/cautious approach, which is why they are saying he is not going to be ready opening day.  The rest is just complete speculation.  And lastly, I don't know how you can say I took 'offence'.  If providing a logical post without any ranting is now taking offence to something, then I guess we disagree on the definition.

5 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Yes, I read the post.  And yes, I read the article.  Perhaps what you fail to realize is this is not an attack on you, but rather the writer of the article.  This 'whisper' has no basis other than mere speculation.  Yes, the Nats have been taking a slow/cautious approach, which is why they are saying he is not going to be ready opening day.  The rest is just complete speculation.  And lastly, I don't know how you can say I took 'offence'.  If providing a logical post without any ranting is now taking offence to something, then I guess we disagree on the definition.

No need to derail the thread, but you said that I arbitrarily made up a timetable. I didn't. I simply pointed out that there is growing fear that this recovery will be slower and cause him to miss more time than the Nationals have been letting on, and pointed out some of the other timetables that could in play. 

We are both merely speculating. That's all any of us can do because the team and player have been very guarded and vague in their comments to the media, and we don't know the actual timetable the team and player have in mind. You're choosing to take "not ready for opening day" at face value and speculating that he can and will return shortly thereafter.  I am looking at the same facts, quotes, and reports and joining many others in speculating that it could be a longer process that keeps him sidelined for several weeks. 

I dont have have any issue with you believing he will be back on the field sooner than I do. 

Your words, "I think the writing is on the wall for this to drag into May, and possibly all the way into June, and it seems like there are starting to be more articles/tweets suggesting the same."

There is absolutely no basis for this. 

23 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Your words, "I think the writing is on the wall for this to drag into May, and possibly all the way into June, and it seems like there are starting to be more articles/tweets suggesting the same."

There is absolutely no basis for this. 

I disagree. The basis for this type of speculation is not hard to find unless you're actively trying to ignore it. 

In news that hardly qualified as a shocker, Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy acknowledged Wednesday morning that he will begin the season on the disabled list as he rehabs from October microfracture surgery on his right knee. 

With the season just one week away, the prospect of Murphy suiting up on Opening Day has been unrealistic for quite a while, but an exact timetable remains uncertain as we move into late-March. 

Let the speculation continue. 

I understand these high stakes and/or famous NFBC leagues might not be relevant to all, but I like to post at times where the "sharps" are going. One of my only posts in the Kareem Hunt thread last year was him going #13 overall in a $1500 buy in league ?

Daniel Murphy (knee) is in Cincinnati for the Nationals' opener against the Reds and taking batting practice with the team.

Murphy was expected to stay behind in Florida to get ready for games, but it's possible there's been enough improvement for him to travel with the team before going on a rehab assignment when the minor league season opens next week. He can't return until early April because he's on the 10-day disabled list, but he might be back sooner than his original mid-April estimation.

lol glad i got him so late too wow!!!!

LETS GO