Sign in to follow this  
Trader Mac

Carlos Asuaje 2018 Outlook

Admittedly I don't know much about him besides the fact that he is slated to be San Diego's starting second baseman.  What kind of stats can be expect from him?  Last year he started off hot but cooled off considerably during the second half.  Do you think he will keep his job throughout the whole year or he is a stopgap for someone else who is coming up the SD system?  TIA

I'll take a stab at him.  I think he could bat around .270 but with minimum power and speed.  Probably won't add much to fantasy teams.  He is penciled to bat second in the SD lineup so perhaps he could help in runs scored some if you play 5x5.  Anyone else?

He's possibly relevant in 20+ team leagues with MI spots.

Good stick with very zone control and fast wrists. Not much punch or speed though. Will help him get ABs if he can move around but he's pretty limited defensively. Probably a bench guy in the long term. I don't think he's 'penciled in' for any regular role fwiw.

On 1/15/2018 at 4:18 PM, ST. STEVEN said:

He's possibly relevant in 20+ team leagues with MI spots.

Good stick with very zone control and fast wrists. Not much punch or speed though. Will help him get ABs if he can move around but he's pretty limited defensively. Probably a bench guy in the long term. I don't think he's 'penciled in' for any regular role fwiw.

You may be right but both Rotoworld and Roster Resource project him as the starter this year.  We'll see how long he can hold it.

everything i've read seems to assume that asuaje is at least nominally the 2B starter, although it's still unclear what's going to happen with headley vs spangenberg over at 3B. spang could always go to LF if pirela isn't repeating what he did last year. who knows. 

anyway, i kind of like asuaje. he's kind of the classic natural-hitter 2B prospect who's too physically small to hit for exciting power, but he actually had some years with really solid XBH totals in the minors. once in A-ball with the red sox, then he had one down season before being included in the kimbrel trade, and then was really good again in 2016, although that was in the PCL. but he's one of those guys who's described as having really strong wrists and hands, surprising pop for his size, etc etc. 

in the end he's probably a boring placido polanco type at best, but, he definitely exists, so, that's something