Travis Burten

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

32 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Just also read a couple reports about him pitching in relief when he is called up..hope those reports are dead wrong

Even if Luzardo were to start, I'm thinking he is maxed out at five innings, and would have to pitch a clean game to get there.

12 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Just also read a couple reports about him pitching in relief when he is called up..hope those reports are dead wrong

Do you have links? This contradicts what Melvin said a week or so ago. The situation is fluid and the starters have been doing pretty well so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a reliever or an extended opener or whatever they have him doing. 

11 hours ago, BaseballJunkie said:

Even if Luzardo were to start, I'm thinking he is maxed out at five innings, and would have to pitch a clean game to get there.

He would be maxed out by pitch count and effectiveness. He has good control and if he is on he would have no issues getting through 5 innings with limited pitches. This is basically his spring training so it will be interesting to see how they use him. Plus, he has to be productive at the MLB level so there are a lot of unknowns. I don't think any of this impacts his longterm value or outlook. 

On 8/28/2019 at 11:16 PM, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

You have to think one of Manaea/Luzardo is headed for the pen.

3 hours ago, RTW10 said:

Last night: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 10 K on 93 pitches.

Hopefully his next start is with the A's

Maybe they go 6 man rotation. Move one of bassit, Bailey, or Anderson to the pen. Bring up manaea and luzardo. Could mean Luzardo gets to pitch at home against the tigers next weekend.

13 hours ago, Gobux1970 said:

I disagree with this. Then why did they bother with stretching both of them out. ? The pen is gonna be for Bassit, Bailey or Anderson.

18 hours ago, erik vulaj said:

What's dudes deal, he coming up or not? Lol

He will be called up, presuming starter with a limited workload/pitch count.

13 hours ago, Gobux1970 said:

I doubt it since both got stretched to 90 pitches. Bassitt goes to the pen and Manaea/Luzardo join the rotation and the A’s roll with a 6 man rotation seems a lot more likely. 

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Bailey pitching good right now, can’t see him going to pen

Per RotoWorld:

"His ERAs the last three years were 6.65, 6.43 and 6.09 from 2016 to 2018. If he can keep his ERA under 5.00 this year it will be the first time since 2014 that he's been able to do that."

Yeeeeah...I don't see Bailey holding anybody back.

Edited by Sterling Archer

29 minutes ago, TheBigBambino said:

Absolutely insane. 

Why is that insane? There's lots of reasons not to call him up.

Most rookie pitchers, even top prospects, struggle at first. Luzardo is 21, has never pitched in MLB before, missed most of the season due to injury, and the A's would be throwing him right into a playoff race. That's a tough situation.

Yeah just like there was no room for Manaea in the starting rotation,

Luzardo is one of the best pitchers in the whole A's organization. If he is ready, he will be pitching for the A's, and will be in the starting rotation, especially if the A's are in the playoff hunt. IMO, the only thing holding Luzardo back is Luzardo and that's due to health.,

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Z06vette said:

Luzardo is one of the best pitchers in the whole A's organization. If he is ready, he will be pitching for the A's, and will be in the starting rotation, especially if the A's are in the playoff hunt. IMO, the only thing holding Luzardo back is Luzardo and that's due to health.,

They could put him in a late innings role, their pen could use the help.

4 hours ago, Gobux1970 said:

They could put him in a late innings role, their pen could use the help.

fearing this as well since i have him stashed at this moment

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 11:35 PM, Sterling Archer said:

Per RotoWorld:

"His ERAs the last three years were 6.65, 6.43 and 6.09 from 2016 to 2018. If he can keep his ERA under 5.00 this year it will be the first time since 2014 that he's been able to do that."

Yeeeeah...I don't see Bailey holding anybody back.

Bailey has been pretty good since the trade. He had two horrible starts against the Astros and Cubs but in the other 8 starts he’s 5-0 with a 2.74 ERA, a 1.05 WHIP and striking out a batter per inning.