Travis Burten

SP Jesus Luzardo, OAK

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

Do you have a link to the original report from Slusser stating this? Because I'm not seeing the original report anywhere. Sounds like it was simply speculative in nature since he's close to facing live batters.

I don't have the original report. I was only going off of what was stated on pitcherlist

https://www.pitcherlist.com/the-stash-05-18-the-top-10-pitching-prospects-to-stash/

2 hours ago, pbjfb said:

I don't have the original report. I was only going off of what was stated on pitcherlist

https://www.pitcherlist.com/the-stash-05-18-the-top-10-pitching-prospects-to-stash/

Yeah - seems like they were taking her speculation as actual news and downgrading Luzardo accordingly. But any actual news would never be kept behind a paywall so we can pretty much ignore that take. Based on actual recent news, he indeed has a good chance of helping this season and makes a solid stash. One thing that could also work out well due to the injury is that his innings won't need to be monitored later later on if he performs well and sticks on the MLB roster.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Yeah - seems like they were taking her speculation as actual news and downgrading Luzardo accordingly. But any actual news would never be kept behind a paywall so we can pretty much ignore that take. Based on actual recent news, he indeed has a good chance of helping this season and makes a solid stash. One thing that could also work out well due to the injury is that his innings won't need to be monitored later later on if he performs well and sticks on the MLB roster.

Maybe I should clarify...Instead of "pay site" I should have said "newspaper site"(maybe the SF Chronicle?). All articles are generally locked behind a paywall. That's normal. 

9 minutes ago, blinkfan77 said:

Maybe I should clarify...Instead of "pay site" I should have said "newspaper site"(maybe the SF Chronicle?). All articles are generally locked behind a paywall. That's normal. 

I'm not sure about her articles for the SF Chronicle - but to clarify on my part, if there was actual news on Luzardo she would have Tweeted about it and not have hidden it behind a paywall (even if the article also talked about the news in question). Since there was never any actual news about Luzardo's injury being worse than originally thought, it was just speculation on her part (apparently, since I can't find anything on it) that Pitcherlist presumably picked up on and decided to interpret as a red flag.

Meanwhile Rotoworld is ignoring that article too:

Tue, May 21

Jesus Luzardo (shoulder) could begin facing live hitters this Saturday.

Advice: Luzardo just began throwing bullpen sessions last Tuesday, so he's making swift progress now in his recovery from a left shoulder strain. The 21-year-old southpaw probably would have made the A's rotation out of camp had he been healthy and he'll be worth a stash in mixed fantasy leagues as he gets closer to full strength.

More: Martin Gallegos on Twitter 

• Thanks 1

To be honest, the article stuck me as an odd take from the beat writer.  Luzardo would've broken camp in the rotation with how he was pitching, or at worst been down for 2 weeks to get the extra year of control.  Now with a rehab running smoothly we're expected to believe it'll be August/September before he's back?  That really doesn't make much sense.

Spring training for pitchers is usually what?  Six weeks?  He's throwing bullpens and is now set to face live batters.  That sounds a lot like the first week or two of Spring training to me.  The more plausible timeline in my mind is he gets 4-5 starts to ramp up throughout June.  It's conceivable we could see him in late-June to early-July, but with the ASB days off where some teams like to send prospects to AAA to keep them on schedule, it may be right after the ASB when we see him.

Either way, I'd be floored if it's late August or September unless he has a setback.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

To be honest, the article stuck me as an odd take from the beat writer.  Luzardo would've broken camp in the rotation with how he was pitching, or at worst been down for 2 weeks to get the extra year of control.  Now with a rehab running smoothly we're expected to believe it'll be August/September before he's back?  That really doesn't make much sense.

Spring training for pitchers is usually what?  Six weeks?  He's throwing bullpens and is now set to face live batters.  That sounds a lot like the first week or two of Spring training to me.  The more plausible timeline in my mind is he gets 4-5 starts to ramp up throughout June.  It's conceivable we could see him in late-June to early-July, but with the ASB days off where some teams like to send prospects to AAA to keep them on schedule, it may be right after the ASB when we see him.

Either way, I'd be floored if it's late August or September unless he has a setback.

I'm with @JFS179 this really doesn't make much sense at all, unless someone in management provided this to her in so far as they are not going to push him at all this year.  That strikes me as odd unless they realistically believe they have no shot at WC contention.  Right now, it is way too early to even consider that, imo. 

Yeah it's crazy that pitcherlist had him at #2 all year for redrafts and now they have McKay ahead of him by 5 slots, who is still in AA. They gotta be off on their call-up projections.

10 hours ago, pushaZ said:

When do yall estimate a potential call up?

Not to be a dick, but that's literally but discussed on this page already by some good posters with good takes.

Can't find any real updates on him since his live BP but I would like to point out that the As have now won 10 in a row.  They're currently tied with the Red Sox for the 2nd WC spot in the AL at 29-25.  They also have Manaea, Luzardo and Puk all looking as if they could make it back in in the next 2 months or so.

It's still super early but I think the "they won't call him up cause they aren't competing" narrative may be going out the window.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Can't find any real updates on him since his live BP but I would like to point out that the As have now won 10 in a row.  They're currently tied with the Red Sox for the 2nd WC spot in the AL at 29-25.  They also have Manaea, Luzardo and Puk all looking as if they could make it back in in the next 2 months or so.

It's still super early but I think the "they won't call him up cause they aren't competing" narrative may be going out the window.

Cotton also a possibility at some point this year too.

• Like 1

According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, Luzardo will continue to be brought back as a starting pitcher, despite posting a 7.31 ERA with an 18:7 K:BB over 16 innings a season ago at Triple-A.”

CBS on top of their game with the blurbs 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

With the lack of pitching this year, this guy could be a fantasy changer. How long would he need to play with the A's?

6 hours ago, ramox15 said:

With the lack of pitching this year, this guy could be a fantasy changer. How long would he need to play with the A's?

** how much time would it take to be ready and play with A's??

18 hours ago, ramox15 said:

** how much time would it take to be ready and play with A's??

He's basically in the first week of Spring training ... guessing he's up after the break.  Late-July to early-August.