osb_tensor

Brusdar Graterol SP Min

Just ran across this article and thought I would share. Don't know much (anything) about the prospect, but the article claims an 80-grade fastball and a potential four-pitch arsenal. Im suddenly interested! It also claims that baseball America ranked him ahead of Fernando Romero and Tyler Jay and thinks he's the highest ceiling pitcher in the twins system. Someone worth monitoring in deeper leagues. 

https://www.faketeams.com/2018/1/15/16876744/brusdar-graterol-twins-pitching-prospect-dynasty-leagues

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 4

I agree that he has the highest ceiling in the twins system, though would probably still take Romero or Gonsalves over him at this point.  But definitely a high ceiling type of guy, that could shoot up to top 100 lists with a solid year.  John Sickels is also a fan, and I believe he is a twins fan with a good feel for their system. 

Great name.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eric-longenhagen-prospects-chat-1-30/

Not a Phillies Fan: Thoughts on Brusdar Graterol’s ceiling? I feel like he could pull a Forrest Whitely this year

Eric A Longenhagen: I like Brusdar! but he’s a short strider who some scouts haven’t seen a changeup from, so there’s pretty significant relief risk. But he’s upper-90s with a plus slider.

Graterol is one of my favorite young SP prospects in the minors (I ranked him 95th on my Spring-training top fantasy prospects list) as he's full of upside, and he's off to a strong start in 2018 in the Midwest League as a young for the level guy. Small sample size so far, but to start the year in 8.2 innings, he's got 11 K's against 0 walks, and 0 earned runs allowed. He's supported that line with a very strong 13.4% swinging-strike rate (MLB average last year was 10.5%) and a crazy 85.7% groundball rate. Obviously, the groundball rate isn't going to continue to be that high but Graterol has consistently generated very high GB rates and last year had a 58% GB rate split between 2 levels. The combination of high K stuff along with a high GB rate is the dream combo! Scouting report reads as follows: Mid-upper 90's fastball that can reach triple digits, a wipeout mid-high 80's slider that already flashes plus, and a changeup that he has a good feel for and most scouts project to average with Fangraphs giving it a future 60 grade. Some sources also suggest there is a curveball and it supposedly projects to above average. Fangraphs has him with a future 70 fastball, a future 60 slider, and a future 60 changeup with average command, that's a high ceiling player! In terms of ceiling, I think he has one of the higher ones in the minors among SP prospects, and if you're chasing that, he could be the guy for you! Could be a big breakout pitcher on prospect lists this year and a household name by next year!

Edited by garlando
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

First start back tonight from the DL (believe it was back spasms)

not in yahoo either....surprise surprise

Prob my favorite A ball pitcher going right now. Also just promoted to High A-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

His best outing yet at Single A Advanced...2 hits, 1 earned run, 10K, 3BB in 5.2 innings today.

Edited by cltubbs

5 hours ago, pagkerguy8 said:

now available in yahoo(added july 26th)

Yep. Picked him up Friday in my 16 team keeper. 

I don't know much about mechanics and the like but to my layman's eye his delivery screams future reliever. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze
  • Like 1

Has there been any news on his injury? This is eerily quiet. His stuff is nasty but im starting to have my doubts on whether he can hold up. 

Are they using him as a reliever to limit his innings this season or is this a transition towards a closer role? 

4 hours ago, cizastro said:

Are they using him as a reliever to limit his innings this season or is this a transition towards a closer role? 

He's going to get a chance to start. An ace is more important than a closer and Graterol is said to have ace stuff. His fastball has been clocked at 103.7. 

With that fastball alone, he will be a successful big leaguer by at least being a dominate reliever. How his secondaries develop will decide all.

8 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Traded to RedSox.. wonder how they use him 

Was wondering the same. Seems like this could open the door to a role as a starter and jumpstart his value in both dynasty and redraft. Does anyone see this as a boost in his value?