DerrickHenrysCleats

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Maybe he can unstack the box a little for Zeke

Does Amari Cooper get more than 8 targets a game in Dallas RoS? If the answer is yes ((I'm fairly confident)), then you need to include him in the WR1 discussion moving forward. Dallas is known for their power run game, play action, and short and intermediate passing attack ((well... not known for that last part)). Dak isn't an accurate passer in any way, and you have to imagine a guy like Cooper is going to get a loooot of screen passes and slants...

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I may try and buy low on him in a couple leagues as a gamble.

Edited by dzemens
Removed AC/Off topic content.

I'll be happy if he gets to the WR2 convo. I seriously doubt Dak can support a WR1 unless he pulls a Jay Cutler and throws it to one dude all game consistently

I cut Amari because I think his prescence on the field makes it easier for Dak to spread the ball around to the other wr's on the offense. I don't think as a midseason  add on to the offense he is going to build enough rapport and get a handle on the playbook effectively enough to make a difference fantasy wise. Dak is not a rodger or brees or Brady who will beat you with his arm  making big throws on low probability pass attempts. 

31 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I cut Amari because I think his prescence on the field makes it easier for Dak to spread the ball around to the other wr's on the offense. I don't think as a midseason  add on to the offense he is going to build enough rapport and get a handle on the playbook effectively enough to make a difference fantasy wise. Dak is not a rodger or brees or Brady who will beat you with his arm  making big throws on low probability pass attempts. 

That's possible, it's also possible that they traded for Cooper to feed Cooper.  

39 minutes ago, dashoe said:

You held Amari through all the bs with the Raiders and then cut bait when he was traded (for a first round pick) and your logic is that he's going to basically be a decoy in order to open up the offense? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dashoe said:

But to CUT him because you THINK something is foolish (should have done a 2 week wait and see). I traded him 3 week ago (then he was dropped) when he was on Oakland but the news about him being traded I had to grab him, he has the skills to be great and cant help out in the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Sounds to me you cut Amari before the trade happened and are fabricating this nonsense to spare yourself from the pain. I've been there, we all have. It's going to be okay.

• Like 1

You don't give up a 1st round pick for a player that won't be heavily involved in the game plan. 

9 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

That's possible, it's also possible that they traded for Cooper to feed Cooper.  

I have no doubt this is the plan. The problem is Dak is a terrible cook.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, VIKEVIKE77 said:

You held Amari through all the bs with the Raiders and then cut bait when he was traded (for a first round pick) and your logic is that he's going to basically be a decoy in order to open up the offense? 

12 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

But to CUT him because you THINK something is foolish (should have done a 2 week wait and see). I traded him 3 week ago (then he was dropped) when he was on Oakland but the news about him being traded I had to grab him, he has the skills to be great and cant help out in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Sounds to me you cut Amari before the trade happened and are fabricating this nonsense to spare yourself from the pain. I've been there, we all have. It's going to be okay.

1. Midseason wr trades rarely produce fantasy relevant production because the wr is unfamiliar with the offense and has litttle to no rapport with the newQB. it takes multiple weeks and we are already in a wk 8 bye which mean his 1st game is week 9 or 10.  Amari is going to Dallas to FIT INTO their system and their playbook. Dallas is not going to make their offense fit Amari. 

I'm not going to trust things are clicking by  wk 13 for the playoffs

2. Dak and the cowboys passing game is not a significant upgrade to the Raiders.  Dak has shown us the type of QB he is, he spreads the ball around and he doesnt make low probability throws downfield unless forced to. He is ery risk averse. Carr at least has a past where he did take shot downfield regularly. 

3. I would have kept him if not traded because i would have made the bet that carr and gruden would realize that when Amari gets 10 targets they have a better chance at winning games.

4. his best situation was a turnaround in the Raiders offense where he had a defined role and fit in the offense vs going to a let's see what happens in Dallas situation

5. i prefer to churn and burn waiver picks like sutton,trequan,amendola,tyrell  over the next 3 weeks than wait for a Dallas miracle to happen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Komfy said:

You don't give up a 1st round pick for a player that won't be heavily involved in the game plan. 

Corey Davis is heavily involed as the wr1 on his team and he is garbage and unstartable as a fantasy wr.

So involvement is nice but production has to follow

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I cut Amare the day before the trade and damn did I feel the pain. If my team wasn’t so legit this year I’d care more. I also cut Amari for an injured Cobb at the time so the swap isn’t terrible. But of people think Cooper can’t be consistent and a fun pen ros than there lying. Cooper could def be feed on this team. 

picked up Amari from someone who dropped him for Geronimo...i don't need amari but if he pops, he'll be a nice addition to the WR stable

i think he's got a shot to return the WR2 value people drafted him at this year...we will see though

Edited by swetooth9

46 minutes ago, dashoe said:

1. Midseason wr trades rarely produce fantasy relevant production because the wr is unfamiliar with the offense and has litttle to no rapport with the newQB. it takes multiple weeks and we are already in a wk 8 bye which mean his 1st game is week 9 or 10.  Amari is going to Dallas to FIT INTO their system and their playbook. Dallas is not going to make their offense fit Amari. 

I'm not going to trust things are clicking by  wk 13 for the playoffs

2. Dak and the cowboys passing game is not a significant upgrade to the Raiders.  Dak has shown us the type of QB he is, he spreads the ball around and he doesnt make low probability throws downfield unless forced to. He is ery risk averse. Carr at least has a past where he did take shot downfield regularly. 

3. I would have kept him if not traded because i would have made the bet that carr and gruden would realize that when Amari gets 10 targets they have a better chance at winning games.

4. his best situation was a turnaround in the Raiders offense where he had a defined role and fit in the offense vs going to a let's see what happens in Dallas situation

5. i prefer to churn and burn waiver picks like sutton,trequan,amendola,tyrell  over the next 3 weeks than wait for a Dallas miracle to happen.

^

I wish I could do that but my league has a a cap on waiver pickups, only 30 allowed.

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

Corey Davis is heavily involed as the wr1 on his team and he is garbage and unstartable as a fantasy wr.

So involvement is nice but production has to follow

But Corey Davis is unproven and on a mess of a team from the coaches to the qb. Dak is no Allstar but i rather be a wr on the cowboys than the Titans. At least cooper has a couple 1000 yard seasons. This could be just what the doc ordered for cooper. Hes still a FA on my leagues ww. I cannot pick him up and have him on my bench for another season 

Dak doesn’t throw with anticipation. He only throws it when wr are open. Amari cooper gets open a lot better than the current Dallas wr Corp. could be something later on...gotta give him time to learn the playbook though.

Has anyone here ever watched a Dallas Cowboys game? JK ,but really how hard is that playbook to learn. It takes defenses about 2 drives in week 1 to figure out that rinse and repeat offense. 

19 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

But Corey Davis is unproven and on a mess of a team from the coaches to the qb. Dak is no Allstar but i rather be a wr on the cowboys than the Titans. At least cooper has a couple 1000 yard seasons. This could be just what the doc ordered for cooper. Hes still a FA on my leagues ww. I cannot pick him up and have him on my bench for another season 

Realistically what does Cooper do fantasy wise on Dallas for tis season? He gets to play week 9 and fantasy playoffs start wk 14 at what point will you trust him to insert him in your starting lineup?  his pro bowl seasons are irrelevant in fantasy analysis. his situation is relevant

How many snaps is he going to get as he learns the playbook?

Do people really think Dak is going to target him 10x per game, is he going to be the primary redzone target?

Is Dak going to make throws in tight windows for him or give him the 50/50 ball  because of instant trust and chemistry after a week or 2 of practice?

Amari is a legit threat that defenses have to respect on the field  defenses can't stack the box on Zeke, he makes the play action easier and will probably open up everything underneath for Beasely to move the chains for Dak.

You have to separate Coopers talent from his realistic situation on Dallas. I don't see the offense  just opens up for in time to trust him in the playoffs.  No way dak just stops targeting beasley-gallup-hurns-etc guys that know what Dak likes to do as a passer and he has various levels of trust with

Midseason trades are the worst for a wr. I'm ok with having someone else in my league roster him and figure it all out

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psykid85 said:

Has anyone here ever watched a Dallas Cowboys game? JK ,but really how hard is that playbook to learn. It takes defenses about 2 drives in week 1 to figure out that rinse and repeat offense. 

Correct, their offense is basic as hell. Living in the 90s still.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Realistically what does Cooper do fantasy wise on Dallas for tis season? He gets to play week 9 and fantasy playoffs start wk 14 at what point will you trust him to insert him in your starting lineup?  his pro bowl seasons are irrelevant in fantasy analysis. his situation is relevant

Do people really think Dak is going to target him 10x per game, is he going to be the primary redzone target?

Is Dak going to make throws in tight windows for him or give him the 50/50 ball  because of instant trust and chemistry after a week or 2 of practice?

Amari is a legit threat that defenses have to respect on the field  defenses can't stack the box on Zeke, he makes the play action easier and will probably open up everything underneath for Beasely to move the chains for Dak.

You have to separate Coopers talent from his realistic situation on Dallas. I don't see the offense  just opens up for in time to trust him in the playoffs.  No way dak just stops targeting beasley-gallup-hurns-etc guys that know what Dak likes to do as a passer and he has various levels of trust with

Midseason trades are the worst for a wr. I'm ok with having someone else in my league roster him and figure it all out

I agree with this entire excellent post.  And I will further add that I think Dak is death for a passing game.

But I am willing to hold him a couple weeks to see how things shake out before cutting bait.  

• Like 1

Just now, kball09 said:

Correct, their offense is basic as hell. Living in the 90s still.

garret is supposedly one of the greatest offensive minds of his generation. . . according to his bio

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Hence why i said i wont pick him up lol. Dallas playbook and route tree isn't anything amazing. They may not target him 10x per game, but i still think teams rather stack the box and try and have dak beat them than open up the box for amari who has struggled the last 2 years. WIth that said, I do feel that Amari can easily jump into a primary pass catching role and see a consistant 7 targets weekly. No wr on dallas (maybe Gallup) excites me. Dak doesnt make me get excited either. I only mentioned his two 1000 yard seasons because i rather have cooper than davis. Davis has provided 1 game, an OT game at that and a corner that semi slipped to make himself stand out on an offense that has less weapons and a worse D than dallas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KennyWoo said:

I agree with this entire excellent post.  And I will further add that I think Dak is death for a passing game.

But I am willing to hold him a couple weeks to see how things shake out before cutting bait.  

if no one grabs him in my league I'm willing to pick him back up after the bye if the low probability Sutton trade doesnt happen by Tuesday and he if he goes MIA in KC game.  benches and waivers are made to churn

Also with ^that said, i feel cooper is gonna end up like a galloway or williams on prior cowboys teams lol