DerrickHenrysCleats

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

8 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

the Cowboys are going to try to justify the trade to their fans and critics, so Cooper will get run.

This 100%. This was also a point I was going to make. J.Jones isn't gonna want to look like a fool giving up a 1st rounder. Cooper will get volume. The argument that Dak is no good I somewhat agree with but after looking his stats up and he's the QB10 for the past month and QB6 the past two weeks. Basically the same as Cam Newton who is my QB now. I only see Cooper helping him improve.

10 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Cooper has talent.  He needs to get his confidence back.  He needs to get 100% healthy and he needs to get thrown the football.

Cooper on the Raiders was the putative (look that one up, newbies) WR1.  But the Raiders here in 2018 are one of the most deeply dysfunctional teams we have seen in the NFL in years.  And we have watched Cleveland win one game in two seasons up until this year. 

Now on Dallas?  Confidence boost, check.  The Cowboys traded a 1st round pick for him.  Health, check.  With two bye weeks in a row and a Thursday game at the start, Cooper gets nearly a full month to heal up.  Targets, likely check.  The other Cowboy WRs are hot garbage (although I like Gallup for next year), and the Cowboys are going to try to justify the trade to their fans and critics, so Cooper will get run.

The ingredients are all here.  Are Garrett and Linehan Belichick and McDaniel?  No indeed they are not.  But they did win 13 games two years ago, and they have a very credible running game that will prevent opposing defenses from focusing all their attention on Cooper.  That's a huge improvement over the "stuck in 1999" "Oakland" Raiders.

Validation is they win games not feature him or feed him a lot of targets  to show he can be a stud l and the team still loses.

The cowboys win their division and make the playoffs with decent production from Amari most of the overpaid for Amari talk goes away

10 hours ago, dashoe said:

i dont like his new situation for this fantasy season but i will probably love it next fantasy season

Fair enough, agree to disagree

I'm not buying in.   He's been incredibly frustrating to own in my keeper league.   

Edited by dzemens
Removed AC/Off topic content.

On 10/27/2018 at 7:57 PM, NInsko said:

This 100%. This was also a point I was going to make. J.Jones isn't gonna want to look like a fool giving up a 1st rounder. Cooper will get volume. The argument that Dak is no good I somewhat agree with but after looking his stats up and he's the QB10 for the past month and QB6 the past two weeks. Basically the same as Cam Newton who is my QB now. I only see Cooper helping him improve.

Good point.  Dak can only be helped by the addition of Cooper, but I’m sure many Cowboys fans are hop8ng the OC will come out with a new game plan for the second half of the season. The first one needed improvement. 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:09 PM, DrRazvi said:

Obviously Jones is out pumping this trade in the media. He was apparently the one who made the call and offered the 1st rounder. 

There's no doubt there will be lots of pressure to feature Cooper given the price they paid. We'll see how that translates onto the field.

Edited by LongBalls

On 10/27/2018 at 6:57 PM, NInsko said:

I agree he should get volume but using Dak's fantasy ranking as a metric for his effectiveness is not valid imo.   He's been running the ball more and has had rushing TDs in the last couple of games.    And he averages around 200 passing yards per game. 

Now it's possible that having Cooper improves the passing game numbers.   But Dak is just not a good QB in terms of passing.    He's pretty inaccurate, even when he hast time in the pocket.

• Like 1

Just now, K197040 said:

I agree he should get volume but using Dak's fantasy ranking as a metric for his effectiveness is not valid imo.   He's been running the ball more and has had rushing TDs in the last couple of games.    And he averages around 200 passing yards per game. 

Now it's possible that having Cooper improves the passing game numbers.   But Dak is just not a good QB in terms of passing.    He's pretty inaccurate, even when he hast time in the pocket.

Maybe they should consider getting a new QB as well.

4 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Maybe they should consider getting a new QB as well.

Agree.   They should use their Round 1 pick next year.   Oh wait...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

Yeah, Dak is good for himself for fantasy and bad for everyone else.  He steals TD runs from Elliott on zone read keepers and he's a terrible passer. 

If Dak showed up on the '94 49ers, Jerry Rice would've been downgraded to a flex option.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, K197040 said:

Agree.   They should use their Round 1 pick next year.   Oh wait...

Don't forget they can always offload him to the Eagles for a 2nd rd pick. . . :ph34r:

Article here on Cooper's possible upside in Dallas: https://fansided.com/2018/10/31/amari-cooper-dallas-cowboys-offense/

Cooper is a much different player than Bryant. They win in very different ways. With Bryant, he was never really “open.” However, he was such a dominant receiver at the catch point and was incredibly difficult to bring down after the catch. Despite the greatness of Bryant, his skill set never meshed well with Dak Prescott.

Cooper, on the other hand, doesn’t thrive in jump ball situations.  Instead, he wins with route running and quickness. That type of receiver is precisely what Prescott needs on the outside.

His best route is a quick slant. Not coincidentally, it is a staple of the Cowboys’ offense. For this route to work, you need a receiver who is quick and can create separation at or near the line of scrimmage, but also understands how to beat man or press coverage off the line of scrimmage. Against the best cornerbacks in the NFL, Cooper has shown that ability over and over again.

The more you study the film from Cooper over the past few years, you will see that most of Cooper’s biggest plays come on “Sluggos.” Defenders have no choice but to jump on the underneath route if they are in off-coverage. Over the last few weeks, we have seen Dallas incorporate more “Sluggos” in their route tree. It’s how Michael Gallup scored his touchdown versus Washington. Expect Dallas to use Cooper in this same vein early and often.

Anyone starting him this week? I am not sure if I want to play the wait and see card.

Do they come out firing at him or is he still getting adjusted? 

I'm yolo starting him. The Cowboys are coming out of the bye week at home on Monday Night Football with their new toy. I expect he'll be featured heavily.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2018 at 5:54 PM, Sternes said:

Roy Williams 2.0

That's cold, bro.

I mean, you're not wrong. But you don't have to be all mean and say it.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

I'm yolo starting him. The Cowboys are coming out of the bye week at home on Monday Night Football with their new toy. I expect he'll be featured heavily.

Same. No wait and see for me, 2 weeks to get acclimated in a prime time spot for Jerry to show the world how "smart" he is by acquiring him. I'm firing him up! 

5 minutes ago, VIKEVIKE77 said:

Same. No wait and see for me, 2 weeks to get acclimated in a prime time spot for Jerry to show the world how "smart" he is by acquiring him. I'm firing him up! 

Would you fire him up over any of the below?

Diggs

Cooks

Hopkins

J Brown (against PITT this week)

20 hours ago, LongBalls said:

Cooper, on the other hand, doesn’t thrive in jump ball situations.  Instead, he wins with route running and quickness.

And then loses by dropping the ball when it gets to him.

;)

• Like 1

Just now, Brotherbock said:

And then loses by dropping the ball when it gets to him.

;)

And/or by quitting on the route while the pass is coming his way.

3 minutes ago, res077y11 said:

And/or by quitting on the route while the pass is coming his way.

I don't think and works in that situation :)

2 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Would you fire him up over any of the below?

Diggs

Cooks

Hopkins

J Brown (against PITT this week)

Of course not, those are bonafide studs you just listed.With the exception of J Brown.  Think I will also start Cooper this week, he should be heavily targeted in this game, and he has every incentive to ball out.  I'm sure he hears all the headlines that he wasn't worth a 1st round pick, and hes a bust blah blah etc. Oakland was complete cancer this year, and even then, when he got targets he produced good results. For what it's worth I think Dak is a better QB then Carr, even tho the stats show otherwise this year. 

Edited by RunCMC

2 hours ago, RunCMC said:

Of course not, those are bonafide studs you just listed.With the exception of J Brown.  Think I will also start Cooper this week, he should be heavily targeted in this game, and he has every incentive to ball out.  I'm sure he hears all the headlines that he wasn't worth a 1st round pick, and hes a bust blah blah etc. Oakland was complete cancer this year, and even then, when he got targets he produced good results. For what it's worth I think Dak is a better QB then Carr, even tho the stats show otherwise this year. 

It's funny you call Brown out but in my league he actually has 1.5 more points than Cooks and only 18.8 fewer than Diggs.........