DerrickHenrysCleats

Amari Cooper 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, LongBalls said:

Article here on Cooper's possible upside in Dallas: https://fansided.com/2018/10/31/amari-cooper-dallas-cowboys-offense/

Cooper is a much different player than Bryant. They win in very different ways. With Bryant, he was never really “open.” However, he was such a dominant receiver at the catch point and was incredibly difficult to bring down after the catch. Despite the greatness of Bryant, his skill set never meshed well with Dak Prescott.

Cooper, on the other hand, doesn’t thrive in jump ball situations.  Instead, he wins with route running and quickness. That type of receiver is precisely what Prescott needs on the outside.

His best route is a quick slant. Not coincidentally, it is a staple of the Cowboys’ offense. For this route to work, you need a receiver who is quick and can create separation at or near the line of scrimmage, but also understands how to beat man or press coverage off the line of scrimmage. Against the best cornerbacks in the NFL, Cooper has shown that ability over and over again.

The more you study the film from Cooper over the past few years, you will see that most of Cooper’s biggest plays come on “Sluggos.” Defenders have no choice but to jump on the underneath route if they are in off-coverage. Over the last few weeks, we have seen Dallas incorporate more “Sluggos” in their route tree. It’s how Michael Gallup scored his touchdown versus Washington. Expect Dallas to use Cooper in this same vein early and often.

Either way Dak needs to trust his receiver and have the confidence to throw the ball. I see too many similarities to how Carr was playing in Oakland to think Amari will fix Dak's woes and in turn result in fantasy points for Amari.

5 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Would you fire him up over any of the below?

Diggs

Cooks

Hopkins

J Brown (against PITT this week)

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

It's funny you call Brown out but in my league he actually has 1.5 more points than Cooks and only 18.8 fewer than Diggs.........

What lol, your kidding me right. You really have the perfect username. Heres an example,  James white has more fantasy points then Zeek and DJ in my standard scoring league.  Who would you rather have ? enough said. John Brown is a good reciever, and doing quite well this year in Baltimore. He isn’t a stud and never will be, real life or fantasy. Wrap that up.  

• Like 1

“In our recency biased world, people forget how good he is. They’ll look to the drops and be quick to make him the scapegoat, but Derek Carr has not been the same since his unfortunate injury at the end of 2016. That’s evident in his aggressiveness ranking from NextGen, which puts him 29th in the league at 11.5%. There was a 20% drop in Amari Cooper’s Oakland targets since that 2016 injury to Carr, which correlates almost precisely to the drop off in his overall statistics. He gets the change of pace he needs and brings his 3.8 average yards of separation (10th in NFL) to the second-most aggressive quarterback (24.8%) in Dak Prescott. Take all of that into consideration, and add to it Dallas’ extremely favorable schedule versus defenses against WRs. Five of their final nine matchups are against defenses in the bottom five of this category. Get Cooper where you can if anyone’s forgotten him after back-to-back bye weeks. When he gets targeted, he produces, and Prescott is going to be looking his way quite a bit.”
 Andy Singleton (Razzball)

Amari Cooper finishes the remainder of the season as he was drafted, a top-20 wide receiver. Is 96 targets per year too much to ask for from a receiver as talented as Cooper? That number is there because there’s been 34 games in his career where he’s seen six or more targets (6 x 16 = 96). In those games, he’s averaged 5.6 receptions for 81.8 yards and 0.44 touchdowns. Oddly enough, there’s been 18 games (35 percent of the time) in his career where he’s seen just five or less targets. In those games, he’s averaged just 1.9 receptions for 22.9 yards and 0.22 touchdowns. The Cowboys didn’t bring him in to be a decoy, or at least I don’t think so.”
 Mike Tagliere (FantasyPros)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to hear. After watching that brutal Raiders offense last night it's hard not to see the move as a major upgrade for Cooper's fantasy prospects. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Good to hear. After watching that brutal Raiders offense last night it's hard not to see the move as a major upgrade for Cooper's fantasy prospects. 

Exactly! If he gets targets he produces. He can't throw to himself. Buy low window closes mon night!

Edited by TTRA1N

1 minute ago, LongBalls said:

Agreed.  I've been pretty hard on Cooper, due to drops and poor play, in general.  However, that is one dysfunctional team he was playing for.  Not that Dallas is a role model organization.  I'm very curious to see how things play out.  The fact that his targets fluctuated so much game to game, is just bizarre on it's own.

2 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Exactly! If he gets targets he produces. He can't throw to himself. Buy low window closes mon night!

Hard pass, but I wish him the best. I'm one of those owners he burnt one too many times.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RunCMC said:

What lol, your kidding me right. You really have the perfect username. Heres an example,  James white has more fantasy points then Zeek and DJ in my standard scoring league.  Who would you rather have ? enough said. John Brown is a good reciever, and doing quite well this year in Baltimore. He isn’t a stud and never will be, real life or fantasy. Wrap that up.  

Not to go off topic here, but as a DJ owner I'd trade him for James White so fast your head would spin

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Does Cooper automatically assume #1 duties? Who was even considered the #1? Gallup?  

I would have to think so.  Of course, this is dependent of how much of the playbook he's picked up.  To this point, they haven't had a clear #1.  Or, anything close to it.  

11 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Does Cooper automatically assume #1 duties? Who was even considered the #1? Gallup?  

Cole Beasley was the #1 WR, Gallup just started getting more snaps but yes. Cooper will by far and away be the Cowboys #1 WR

18 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

The Cowboys keep calling him a #1 WR in every media outlet possible. So yeah, the fact they gave up a 1st rounder pretty much makes him the top dog by default.

All this talk about who is the #1 WR at Dallas sent me over to their depth chart.  I noticed Dak is still their starting QB.  What a shame for us Cooper owners.  Too bad he wasn't traded to SF to play with Egg McMuffin or to Tennessee to catch balls from Mariota.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

Predictions for tomorrow? 

Something reasonable like 5/85 with 50% chance of a td. Will be a low scoring game

• Like 1

My buddy is not into fantasy but a huge gambler and game props guy, he has Amari around 75 and a TD tonight, and he is good and what he does so.....

I need Amari to have 17.3 pts to win this week, not optimistic but still hopeful

I think Amari becomes the new Witten with perks

Well the Boys did not get him to have him not be involved, I think they use and abuse Amari and he becomes a target monster every week. Tonight, not sure but after seeing the Titans 3 times this year and seeing Alshon, Nuk, and Crabtree tear them apart, I do not see why Amari could not do the same.

In fact I think Amari is similar to Alshon and Crabtree, I mean really similar so this would put the floor of Amari tonight around 5/50 plain and simple that is if he is used properly. With Dak averaging around 30 attempt the last few games and the Titans averaging about 32 PA the pas few games, I think Amari will have 7-10 targets tonight, what he does with those is between him and God

My prediction, 6/75/1 for the Cowboys new TE/WR

On 11/1/2018 at 7:07 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

OBJ level talent.

Only way he puts up OBJ numbers...

Image result for clifford franklin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WaiverLooter said:

Something reasonable like 5/85 with 50% chance of a td. Will be a low scoring game

I will take that line every single week, without the TD

Edited by SuperMarksBros.

7 hours ago, WaiverLooter said:

Would be nice. I'm expecting something more like 3 for 45.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

Would be nice. I'm expecting something more like 3 for 45.

I mean it's Amari Cooper. He could easily go 1 for 15 or 10 for 150. Averaging those 2 comes out roughly to 5 for 85 :lol:

• Like 1